Sulaco - 11/22/2006

NavyDawg

Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
This is the Sulaco Spaceship from Aliens. This is quite a departure from my other units, so let me know what you think. I know spaceships are not very popular, but I'm using this in my current project and figured I'd post it anyways.

Download the unit here.

Here's some info from wikipedia:

Used by the United States Colonial Marines, the Sulaco is a Conestoga-class starship, originally designed as troop and logistics transports. By 2179, these ships had been converted into a rapid-response military transport, with orbital bombardment and fleet support capabilities.

The Sulaco masses 78,000 metric tons and measures 385 meters (1,263 feet, almost a quarter-mile) in length. In her role as a troop carrier, Sulaco carries two dropships and has sufficient life support capabilities for 90 crew and passengers. In an emergency, as many as 2,000 troops can be placed in hibernation in the main cargo hangars.

She is powered by a 3.6 terawatt fusion reactor using high density lithium hydride for fuel. Sublight propulsion is provided by four GF-2400 rocket motors using industrial carbon-diamond as reaction mass. FTL propulsion is provided by a hyperdrive tachyon shunt, with a maximum speed of 0.74 light years per sidereal day. The Sulaco's hull panels are constructed from radar absorbing material, which reduces the ship's radar cross section to low levels.

Update 3/28/2007:

Check out my new version of this unit here.

Fantastic work! :goodjob:

:wow:

by far the best spaceship i've seen (why does it turn to the side on its 2nd attack?):goodjob:

BTW,I hate to ask, but would you be interested in doing some native alaskan units for me?(aleut, tlinqit{sp} inuit, eskimo, ect.)

Hmmm..... I may use this as an Archadean Air-Dreadnaught in the FF mod... It would save me some work and it does look pretty close to the genuine article......

The 2 large nacells on either side that you have blue lights on...Those are actually particle beam cannons used to disable enemy warships.

I'm glad some other folks might use this in a mod.

Weasel, yes this is my first non-human. I found a nice model, and that really helped.

Aaglo, the ship was actually designed to resemble the pulse rifles carried by the Marines in the movie.

Wyrm, I didn't know that. Guess I could have made another attack...

Wow. Immensely impressive. I like that you're recreating so many units from Alien and Aliens, a scenario is now becoming a possibility. :D

Wyrmshadow said:
The 2 large nacells on either side that you have blue lights on...Those are actually particle beam cannons used to disable enemy warships.
I thought that Ion-cannons are used to disable enemy ships (like in TIE-fighter and master of orion II).
And aren't particle beams supposed to be somekind of super-accelerated projectiles?
:crazyeye: :p

It's what the Colonial Marine Sourcebook calls them. I don't have it with me at the moment because it's at my brother's house... but if memory serves me, yes. Ion cannons are from Star Wars. How do you know that negative Ions are not the particles being shot from the guns? hmmm???

I like. Always have had a softspot for spaceships. Glad to see someone else making them.

But, why does it turn sideways to fire the belly guns? And why do those hit the ground rather than forward? Is that a bombing animation? In which case I am still confused by the rotation.

Great unit.

Top Bottom