LK125 - Warlord, Carthage, Oasis, Monarchy

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/1898/LK125_BC-2200.zip

4000 BC
Carthage is founded, and it pops a hut for low gold.

3760 BC
The barbs are out early. I already see an animal in the distance.

3730 BC
Religious whacko Izzy is our first neighbor.

3700 BC
I pop a hut for low gold.

3520 BC
Izzy is already Hindu.

3490 BC
Hut popping continues, and we get map showing Madrid as the Hindu capitol. The squares I see aren't very impressive.

3220 BC
We get a free scout.

3190 BC
(IT) Our scout almost dies to a lion.
Bronze working is the next research project.

2740 BC
We get a free warrior.

2710 BC
We get the rest of bronze working for free. I see that the annoying ability to get half a researched tech still exists.

2680 BC
We get more low gold from a hut.
(IT) Scratch the free warrior.

2590 BC
(IT) We lost our southern exploring warrior to a double barbarian whammy.

2410 BC
We get writing from a hut.

2260 BC
I finally meet another civ - Roosevelt.

=======================
Summary:

We really need more contacts.

Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

==============

Signed up:
LKendter
Bede (currently playing)
Pigswill (on deck)
Swiss Pauli
GreyFox

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

The target site our settler. With it being so close to Spain I feel we should whip the settler ASAP. The race will be tight, and I see no other available copper.

Carthage - oh dear, the RNG has not been kind: A UU we can't build, let alone use (horses only occur in the north and the human always starts in the south); ditto for our UB. Oh, well.

Had a look at the save and I can't see us getting pink dot...on Epic 2.08 it's around now that nearly all AI's have a second city. If we don't get copper then we should head north with a city on the flood plains: Iron is always in the desert badlands, but too far away for city 2 to claim.

The barbs are a real pain on Oasis/Epic. Even if we do snag the copper, I'd suggest Archery after Pottery as it'll take a while to get the cities connected.

Re: the dot: Why not move it one tile east ... save the forest and loose 2 peaks? That's if we made it there first, tho. But granted moving 1 east means we need a culture pop before being able to work the cows.

I am trying to keep my distance from the Spanish capitol that is pumping 7 cpt a turn! Remember, they founded a religion already.

I will have to see what develops but I am already concerned about the copper site because of the distance involved.

Got it for tonight.

Yup, very good chance that spain gets there first. Is it worth thinking about going for AH before pottery to see if we got hosses near or is that unlikely on this map?

Spain got there on the opening and we already have sight of the ponies. All in Roosevelt's lands, alas.

Look at all that food!

Fat and sassy are the Punic Nation

Isabella takes the copper, cows and bananas and then founds Judaism in Barcelona

Sign an open borders agreement with her and Roosevelt

Play chase a barb until I meet Saladin in the SW and Shaka to the west.

The barb finally gets tired of playing ring around the rosy and chooses tag instead, instead of "It", he now dead.

Lo and behold Shaka has religion

so I sign an open borders with him. We are going to have to race him to the lands in the north as he already in the NW.

Goldilocks and the three bears in the north near New York

And she wins then runs into Roosevelt's borders to heal

Found Utica to the west on the plains. Irrigate the floodplains, mine the hills, trap the beavers, put in a granary, and train troops with hammers and whips. The founding got delayed by lions in the forests but the fore running warrior dealt with that.

and the town will be our military depot for a long time to come.

After Pottery, researched Archery then went to Agriculture for the floodplains at Utica. I though about Alphabet but it will come so much more quickly once a couple of cottages are up and the library is built. Carthage trained a worker then another warrior and is working on a library. The city can easily support two scientists after it grows out of unhappiness and to size 6. We will want another settler/worker pair before the library finishes though.

The world as we know it

Near Neighbors

Far north

And some possible town sites

Summary:

Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

==============

Signed up:
LKendter
Bede
Pigswill (currently playing)
Swiss Pauli (on deck)
GreyFox

Remember 15 peace / 10 war turns per round. STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours to complete.

Got it. Had a look, I'm thinking about a city 1nw of des moines which nets us 3 corn, stone and gold at the cost of riverside location. I'm also thinking that we need to build a settler before library or we'll lose nicer locations and start getting hemmed in. We could do with a slightly better military than warriors so there's a bit to be done.
Will play tonight to give people chance to comment first.

The bad thing abt 1NW of Des Moines is it pulled in lots of desert tiles and loses two hills ... however that site is so food rich (whoever'd seen corns in deserts :crazyeye:) that it should function well as a GP Farm. I have no strong opinion on either site, but I think pulling in gold and stone can't be a bad thing.

--

I was thinking about 1N of Des Moines, but 1NW would pull in an extra Oasis (as well as being able to work Oasis from the start), and it's on a hill which is important given that we'll be defending against barb Axes with Archers. So I vote for 1NW, but do note that Desert Corn is max 4-0-0 with irrigation.

I'd want to get an Archer to wait on the hill for the Settler (and get both out ahead of Library).

I agree we can't afford a library right now. We are really getting squeeze, and no metals so far. We need more cities ASAP, and need to gain horses and / or iron.

We're not going to get horses as they only live at the far north of the map (see my 1st post in this thread).

With no available horses I guess we go for IW after agriculture.

As discussed aim of set is to get third city established, explore a bit more, look for iron. I decided half way through to go for mysticism before IW to expand borders in the absence of religion.

1750bc. Change Carthage to archer.

1720bc. Furs available. Time to connect Utica to Carthage.

1690 zzz

1660 zzz

1630 Carthage builds archer, starts settler, rearrange tiles.

1600. Scout meets barb archer.

1570bc. Scout pops his clogs.
Discover agric, start mysticism.
Isabella makes a demand:

Declined. Isabella still cautious.

1540bc Utica and Carthage connected. Cottaging next.

1510bc. Utica gets religion:

State religion? Not yet.

1480bc zzz

1450bc zzz

1420bc. Discover mysticism, start IW. Cottages in Carthage. Start north road.

1390bc zzz

1360bc zzz

1330bc. Settler completed. Heads north. Archer waiting. Carthage reverts to library (no extra hammers yet). Utica still building granary.

Few barbs roaming around. Couple of minor scraps with warriors. Exploring has found bit of ivory tothe north, maybe for city#4 depending on iron. IW still 10 turns away.

Our lands:

The mysterious north:

The Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/LK125_BC-1330.CivWarlordsSave

Summary:

Heroic Epic -
Globe Theater -
Wall Street -
Oxford -
Forbidden Palace -
National Epic -
Iron Works -

==============

Signed up:
LKendter
Bede
Pigswill
Swiss Pauli (currently playing)
GreyFox (on deck)

Got it.

I'll play 10 and break for discussion unless there's an obvious Iron city to be founded.

Maybe there's some Iron in the black fog, but the only visible source is on the extreme East of the pic:

I'd favour grabbing some Ivory. The site to the NW is stronger (Cows, river Ivory, Oasis), unless the fog to the north of the Northern Jumbos hides some nice tiles.

Top Bottom