One City Challenge Mod
by rf900

v1.2 (12th January 2007) for Civilization IV v1.61
v1.3 (16th January 2007) for Civilization IV v1.61

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
Introduction:
------------

The first time I tried the One City Challenge (OCC) Mode it surprised me that the computer players could build more than one city. It makes sense to call it a challenge but I didn't had fun with it. I was hoping that every player could only create one city. So that is why I made this mod to create a game mode similar to the OCC but to extend the limitation to all players.

Appart from this I have started to modify things that didn't make too much sense in this playing mode. Starting with traits, buildings and victory conditions. I will keep changing things to best fit the OCC play type.

------------
Installation:
------------

1. Download the file
2. Extract the folder "OneCityMod" to the \Mods\ folder in your Civilization installation directory.

------------
Playing:
------------

1. Make sure you have v1.61 of Civilization
2. Load the mod
3. Choose any type of game.
Note: Some victory conditions are still not well tuned, some options can make no sense but you can select any era and speed.

------------
Changes:
------------

v1.3:

Fixed bug: Game could crash when AI capture barbarian cities

AI has more defenders in capital city

----------------------------------------

v1.2 Fixed: AI can no longer capture cities, they get razed

----------------------------------------

v1.1

• Civs cannot build settlers

• Cities cannot be captured

• Changed era starting units so that only one settler is available

• Removed limits on two national wonders per city and limits on wonders that require a certain number of buildings

• Change traits so that all of them are useful.

• Change victory conditions a bit

• Made Wonders useful for game mode

• Modded Civics

More details in readme file.

------------
To Do List:
------------

Balance changes

Make AI better at playing OCC (although I think it is quite good)

Make all buildings useful, mainly airport and courthouse.

Mod Techs (some selected ones)

Option: Be able to build outposts, they will work as cities except they can only build military units and some military related buildings.

Download:

One City Mod v1.3 for Civilization v1.61 (untested)

One City Mod v1.2 for Civilization v1.61

I get the following weird message all the time:

It seems to come every turn. What is it and should I disable it somehow?

Oh, I should probably add that my CustomAssets is filled with YAUGM. I assume that this loads along with OCC.

Attachments

• OCC question.jpg
    OCC question.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,874
I get the following weird message all the time:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...d=1168517 163
It seems to come every turn. What is it and should I disable it somehow?

Oh, I should probably add that my CustomAssets is filled with YAUGM. I assume that this loads along with OCC.

I am not familiar with YAUGM, but probably it is adding a message to inform you about the domination status. In my mod I have altered the domination victory condition in that you only need a 15% more poplution than the next player, the minimun land percentage is zero (this is probably the cause, I could change that to one). If it doesn't affect your game, don't worry about the message.

I added this victory condition because in an OCC the land per players is very similar and it wont extend too much. Focusing on the population per player you can achive victory by pillaging improvements and trying to lower opponents population. Still needs to be balanced against other victory conditions.

I am not familiar with YAUGM, but probably it is adding a message to inform you about the domination status. In my mod I have altered the domination victory condition in that you only need a 15% more poplution than the next player, the minimun land percentage is zero (this is probably the cause, I could change that to one). If it doesn't affect your game, don't worry about the message.

I added this victory condition because in an OCC the land per players is very similar and it wont extend too much. Focusing on the population per player you can achive victory by pillaging improvements and trying to lower opponents population. Still needs to be balanced against other victory conditions.
I'm willing to test it if you can tell me what correction to make where.

I'm willing to test it if you can tell me what correction to make where.

Thanks for the offer...

I have uploaded a new version that fixes the bug for the AI so that it cannot capture cities and change some values for the domination victory condition.

In the CIV4VictoryInfo.xml file you can try to mess with these values:

Code:
<iPopulationPercentLead>15</iPopulationPercentLead>
<iLandPercent>1</iLandPercent>
<iMinLandPercent>1</iMinLandPercent>

I set a low value for a single city to achieve in big maps...

Your change (0 to 1) made no difference, and I got an error when loading my edited file (I used a text editor) in a savegame started with the original xml file. Is there something I should know about editing the xml file? And what do those two LandPercent dettings do exactly?

I can ignore those messages but it would be nice to get rid of them.

Your change (0 to 1) made no difference, and I got an error when loading my edited file (I used a text editor) in a savegame started with the original xml file. Is there something I should know about editing the xml file? And what do those two LandPercent dettings do exactly?

I can ignore those messages but it would be nice to get rid of them.

Editing the xml files should be ok with any text editor except maybe with things like Word or similar. The error with the savegame could be because of that, you should start a new game to avoid problems.

The values for the landpercentage are victory conditions:

iLandPercent: seems to be the percentage of the map that you have to own to win.
iMinLandPercent: could be the minimun land percentage to win

I don't see the point of having the two values. Still the message is something that your other mod is adding, I don't think I can do anything about is... at least you can play.

... Still the message is something that your other mod is adding, I don't think I can do anything about is... at least you can play.
I understand. It seems to come from Civ4lerts and there's an ini file setting that disables the message.

Another thing: I've played this twice now and got a cultural victory both times - the first time it was an AI win and the second it was mine. The key seems to be to build wonders - the first one as quickly as possible. As you need culture to get resources (there doesn't seem to be a way to claim a resource outside your cultural borders) a cultural win is an obvious path. I wonder if this win should be more difficult.

And it also seems to me that this particular game setup benefits from having as many civs as possible in a map. It should spice things up considerably. I don't know if that can be modded in, but I'd suggest doing so if you can.

I have doubled the culture requirement to achive a cultural victory.

I would like to balance victory conditions. Could you tell me at what year did you achieved victory, and the game speed you were using?

Also did you find building space parts much faster and viable for a space race victory?

Well, I don't have a save around the time of victory, but I think it was fairly early - before 1900. I used a normal game both times.

My third try is a Great Plains game (normal size and speed) with 16 civs. I only have cows (3) and Iron so far as resources but I'm doing OK - 4th or so by now (have been improving my position slowly).

Well, I don't have a save around the time of victory, but I think it was fairly early - before 1900. I used a normal game both times.

Wow... I thought it would take longer than that. Anyway, I have made a similar mod that lets you build what I call outpost (normal cities with production limited to military unit).

The good thing is that this mod has only a little bit more micromanagement than the OCC and it corrects its flaws. You can get all resources, you can expand your empire, gives more variety to gameplay and more WAR !!! Still the capital is very important as if it gets destroyed you will loose the game.

Give it a try if you want, the link is in my signature. I am having more fun with this mod at the moment and I will release a Warlords version soon. Hope you like it.

I will give Capitals & Outposts a try, but more WAR isn't my own preference. Less would be better IMO.

Is there a way to allow workers to claim resources outside the cultural boundary without building a city that can produce stuff? I guess you could disallow all production in such a city. Civ3 has it IIRC - don't remember what it was called.

Is there a way to allow workers to claim resources outside the cultural boundary

This is a start:

Improvements Outside borders Mod

Still you wont get the resources until the culture spreads to the plot.

Also I have put another version (untested) to fix a problem that appear in the Capitals and Outposts mod that could appear here aswell.

Top Bottom