Airships Jan 12, 2007

Wyrmshadow

Deity
Beautiful! Very nice, Wyrm, thanks!

Excellent, excellent! I confess to having a fondness for such craft.

Great work as usual, Air Marshall Wyrmshadow :goodjob:

... Hmmm ... Maybe somebody will be tempted to make a mod out of Michael Moorcock's "The Warlord Of The Air." :mischief:

Best Regards,

Oz

Nice units. What are these used for in SOE? Bombing? Recon? Blimps in civ3 seem hard to use properly - they aren't really bombers, though they have been used as such in a limited way, and as for recon, there is no good way to move them, and have them vulnerable to enemy air/AA assets. You ought to be able to move these like air units in civ2, but have Flak on the ground able to attack them, and enemy airplanes ought to be able to shred them - civ3 badly needs an "attack enemy aerial recon assets" button for air missions.

Nice units. What are these used for in SOE?

In SOE the zeppelins don´t have proper stats yet (may be cause to the difficulties you did describe... and for the recon duties especially over sea we have this cornucopia of cool flying boats made by Wyrmshadow). My unit stats suggestion is as light bomber and recon unit that doesn´t need any resources. And in SOE there is an additional "Barage Balloon". My proposal for that unit would be stats as a light fighter that gets destroyed when attacking, but hinders the bomber in bombing its target.

Detect invisible to scout for subs.

SOE aside (although I'm eagerly looking forward to it's release!) my own favored lighter-than-air tech tree begins with balloons: land units, MF=1 (I even use a Wagon "Run" anim for its movement) which have the "radar" ability (think early military uses to see over the horizon).

I use rigid frame airships as longer-range-than-biplane light bombers & scouts with very low DF and the "detect invisible for subs" Wyrm suggests. An interesting note: the only helium reserve (basically in a huge underground cavern) is in the USA, which refused to export any to Germany (or anyone else for that matter). Hence hydrogen and the inevitable Hindenburg-style accident. So "American" Zeppelins (really whoever controls the helium resource) should have a higher DF.

I also basically use barrage balloons as Civinator describes: an immobile "fighter" for bomber defense.

Note that there is no meaningful upgrade path among these.

And, yes, I agree with Ivan the Kulak: having an ""attack enemy aerial recon assets" air mission would be sweet.

- And, fnally, whenever SOP comes along, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a "War Plan Orange" scenario with the Akron & Macon!

With Thanks Again To Wyrmshadow,

Oz

Thanks OZ, I had completely forgotten about the barrage balloon. I've got over 1000 units not released. It get a little confusing at times. Posted.

Thanks OZ, I had completely forgotten about the barrage balloon. I've got over 1000 units not released. It get a little confusing at times. Posted.

My pleasure; it's a beauty (you really have the light-and-shadow thing down) and the death anim's a pleasant surprise :thumbsup:

-Oz

Very nice! :clap:

Any chance you might be making a Kirov Airship ?

Well, i don't need it; i'm just wondering. :)

Very nice! :clap:

Any chance you might be making a Kirov Airship ?

Well, i don't need it; i'm just wondering. :)

Yes. I discovered last night I had a model of it. I have so much I sometimes forget what I got. No I don't want to make it as detailed a death as the Hindenburg.

Top Bottom