The Body of Christ, Discovered For You?

CivCube

Spicy.
Maybe, if another JC can prove it.

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/2007/02/jesus_tales_from_the_crypt.html

Tim McGirk said:
Brace yourself. James Cameron, the man who brought you 'The Titanic' is back with another blockbuster. This time, the ship he's sinking is Christianity.

In a new documentary, Producer Cameron and his director, Simcha Jacobovici, make the starting claim that Jesus wasn't resurrected --the cornerstone of Christian faith-- and that his burial cave was discovered near Jerusalem. And, get this, Jesus sired a son with Mary Magdelene.

No, it's not a re-make of "The Da Vinci Codes'. It's supposed to be true.

Let's go back 27 years, when Israeli construction workers were gouging out the foundations for a new building in the industrial park in the Talpiyot, a Jerusalem suburb. of Jerusalem. The earth gave way, revealing a 2,000 year old cave with 10 stone caskets. Archologists were summoned, and the stone caskets carted away for examination. It took 20 years for experts to decipher the names on the ten tombs. They were: Jesua, son of Joseph, Mary, Mary, Mathew, Jofa and Judah, son of Jesua.
Israel's prominent archeologist Professor Amos Kloner didn't associate the crypt with the New Testament Jesus. His father, after all, was a humble carpenter who couldn't afford a luxury crypt for his family. And all were common Jewish names.

There was also this little inconvenience that a few miles away, in the old city of Jerusalem, Christians for centuries had been worshipping the empty tomb of Christ at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Christ's resurrection, after all, is the main foundation of the faith, proof that a boy born to a carpenter's wife in a manger is the Son of God.

But film-makers Cameron and Jacobovici claim to have amassed evidence through DNA tests, archeological evidence and Biblical studies, that the 10 coffins belong to Jesus and his family.

Ever the showman, (Why does this remind me of the impresario in another movie,"King Kong", whose hubris blinds him to the dangers of an angry and very large ape?) Cameron is holding a New York press conference on Monday at which he will reveal three coffins, supposedly those of Jesus of Nazareth, his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. News about the film, which will be shown soon on Discovery Channel, Britain's Channel 4, Canada's Vision, and Israel's Channel 8, has been a hot blog topic in the Middle East (check out a personal favorite: Israelity Bites) Here in the Holy Land, Biblical Archeology is a dangerous profession. This 90-minute documentary is bound to outrage Christians and stir up a titanic debate between believers and skeptics. Stay tuned.
--Tim McGirk/Jerusalem

Smells like another "Da Vinci Code" :hmm:

Indeed

and how is DNA evidence supposed to help when nobody knows what Christ's DNA is anyways?

Regardless, Christianity is founded upon faith.

Faith is a knowledge that something true, without any evidence. It is like the wind. You can't see it, but you can feel that it is there. Thus it is with the spirit. Thus it is with God.

Thus is faith.

This is what I believe

Hey, if they can actually prove it; More power to them. I know that there are a lot of people whose faith will be shattered and also many whom will never believe it, no matter what the facts are. We'll see.

We have Jesus' DNA sitting around somewhere to compare this body to?

:hmm:

Maybe, we should ask him for it? :confused:

This sounds like someone just wants a lot of attention.

We have Jesus' DNA sitting around somewhere to compare this body to?

:hmm:

I think all they could show is the people were related.

I saw something about this on History or Discovery years ago. Going by how common names were, they said that one in twenty men would fit the description (the Jesua, son of Joseph part). It's not very conclusive.

Oh and Jesua was Jesus' real name ;)

Aren't Merovingians supposedly decended from Christ?

Well, if mainstream belief is that he was a single guy who wasn't married and didn't have kids, he wouldn't have had descendents, either...

So being related to anyone today doesn't prove anything, either.

I hope this is an epic trainwreck. I hope every possible demographic gets fired up about this, all for different reasons. It will be amazing.

GODSPEED JAMES CAMERON.

Well, if mainstream belief is that he was a single guy who wasn't married and didn't have kids, he wouldn't have had descendents, either...

So being related to anyone today doesn't prove anything, either.

But he had siblings, who would share the same blood as he, and they had kids. That's where the bloodline thing comes from.

But he had siblings, who would share the same blood as he, and they had kids. That's where the bloodline thing comes from.

Are those claims proven at all? Or are they just a claim to fame, just like medieval churches all claimed to have slivers from the Cross?

And (because I'm no biologist and have no idea) how similar should DNA be between a 2,000-year-dead body and a living great-great-etc.-nephew?

Are those claims proven at all? Or are they just a claim to fame, just like medieval churches all claimed to have slivers from the Cross?

And (because I'm no biologist and have no idea) how similar should DNA be between a 2,000-year-dead body and a living great-great-etc.-nephew?

You could match them though mitochondrial, iirc. All it would prove however is that X guy living in France was related to Y dead body in Israel -- and if this tomb were authentic, Mary never went to France ;)

OK - I'll admit it, I am descended from the DNA of Christ.

You can all begin adulating me any time now!

:)
Sorry, but I am not giving praise to some uber-atheist :p.

Top Bottom