[MOD] Alagaesia Total Conversion

Lead: ClassicThunder
Version: Beta 1.2.0 (Released: June 3, 07)
Compatibility: Vanilla Only
Download: Beta 1.2.0
Thank to my homey HomeBoy for hosting me even when I quit modding Homeworld 2!

Additional Components
Map Pack by Strategyonly
Besktop Backgrounds

Credits

The Team:
lshockley: Civics, Texts and lots of buttons.
Sto: Map related Python coding
Hydrahypnotizer: Wonder Movies
Crezth: Play Testing and Brain Storming

Special Mention:
Kael: Sharing some of his vast store of knowledge and experiences with me.
Lopez: For his Tech Tree Editor.
civconquerer627: "for finding these errors"

Graphics Credits:
Rabbit White:
SeZereth:
GarretSidzaka:
Chalid
Jojoweb:

Background Info
I've been working on an Alagaesia total conversion. Mostly it's using the history that can be found in Eragon and Eldest as a guide to create a fun action filled fantasy mod. As a disclaimer I am not sticking to the story too closely. I want to be flexible and add on new ideas as they come. For those who don't know much about the books, they take place in a very renaissances like period. In Alagaesia magic isn't sending powerful flames and energy blasts at an opponent, it's invading you opponents mind to find flaws in their defense or posses them, and to enchant and enhance everyday item. In Alagaesia TC you will be able to relive the history of Alagaesia from the arrival of humans and elves to the rediscovering of the deepest most deadly secrets of magic.

What's Been Done
The whole game has been cut back to the ancient times and recreated. New units, buildings, techs, and civics. Dragons now roam the land looking for wealthy cities to plunder and make into homes. Powerful fire hurling units catch forests on fire which spread to cities and sometimes burn them to the ground. While obviously Civ 4, playing the goal of Alagaesia Total Conversion ius to make you believe you spent thirty dollars buying a new game.

Coming in the Near Future
Now that I have the beta out I'm going to solify the base mod and create a strong foundation that will allow me to make civilizations unique while leaving the game balanced and fun. I am always open to suggestion and keep them in the back of my mind when ever I mod so feel free to suggest anything.

Current Graphic Needs

Units
Shade
Dragon Rider
More Ship Models
Urgial Re-skins

Buildings
Speaking Platform
Tree Cities
Misk Tree Buildings

PM me please if you're interested in helping.

Mod Information:

Units:

There have been many new units that have been either created by the community or me added to Alagaesia TC. The units fit in with the setting and are much more interesting than the standard Civilization 4 units. In the Spoiler is an overview of some of the newer and neater units.

Spoiler :
Assassin.

This deadly unit never misses a kill. Invisible except to other Assassins, this unit will poison an enemy unit that defeats it causing the enemy unit to die after a few turns. This unit is very effective against more powerful units encountered later in the game.

Ent.

This unit is the result of powerful magicians trying to merge themselves with nature. However, as they are unable to change their souls they remain themselves in thought and heart while becoming similar to trees physically. Ents are powerful units apt to forest combat.

Spellweaver.

The spellweaver is an advanced magician who is able to control the raw magic found in the fire element and use it against his foes. The level of knowledge and skill required to produce such a unit causes it to only be available late in the game, but the effects of a spellweaver's attack is devastating.

Civics:

Along with many other aspects of the game the civics have been completely redone. They now fit into the Alagaesia world and allow you to customize your civilization to match those such as Surda and the Empire. In the Spoiler is a screenshot.

Spoiler :

Known Bugs (Beta 1.2.0):
1. The adj. for Empire is empire instead of imperial.
2. Nasuada misspelled.
3. cavalry is misspelled calvary.
4. Surda doesn't have an adjective.

Any feedback, comments, criticism, and bug reports welcome.

No offense but in the 1st Post someplace you should put it is for Vanilla only game!!

EDIT: A couple of things: a. Is there a Hurry Production anyplace?(Slavery)?
b. Had a unit take over a town and it turned into a Dragon nest(barbarian), dont know if its supposed to do that?
c. Had a fatal crash, see attached saved game and logs.
EDIT EDIT: forgot to say, it happened when i got the Tech Machinery?

No offense but in the 1st Post someplace you should put it is for Vanilla only game!!
And you should include my map, would be better to play on a map made for this MOD??

Okay it now says it's for Vanilla only. Also I'm working on a map pack. I've been working on pack of three or four maps and was planning to add yours to that map pack and release it as soon as I finish my maps. Is that okay with you?

EDIT: A couple of things: a. Is there a Hurry Production anyplace?(Slavery)?

No, good catch. I'll fix it.

b. Had a unit take over a town and it turned into a Dragon nest(barbarian), dont know if its supposed to do that?

To clarify your unit captured a city and a Dragon nest was created. Was the city destroyed and what happened to your unit? Also did it happen consistently?

c. Had a fatal crash, see attached saved game and logs.
EDIT EDIT: forgot to say, it happened when i got the Tech Machinery?

I'll look into after school. Anyways thanks for the feedback strategyonly I want to iron out any and all bugs as soon as possible.

Good to see this released. I'll give it a whirl later on hopefully.

Hi Everybody!

I'm glad this has now gone Beta. We still have a lot of work to do, but, I think this is a great start! I will play a test game (hopefully sometime soon) and post my thoughts.

@Strategy, (hi!! :)), I'm sure ClassicThunder will respond to your specific points, but I wanted to say that your feedback is much appreciated! We haven't done much testing, and are hoping we can work out the kinks with the help of test players here on the boards. Any comments you have on any aspect of the mod are welcome.

-Laina

To clarify your unit captured a city and a Dragon nest was created. Was the city destroyed and what happened to your unit? Also did it happen consistently?

I only tried it that one time when time ran out on me and i got tired, LOL But the city was destroyed by the nest, i invaded the city infact with a dragon.;)

Who is doing your spells? i need some in my MOD!!

-Laina@ Hi back at ya:love: , your so kind, thx. And i will do anything i can, that way if i need help someplace down the road maybe people will finally help me, LOL:p

Woohoo! Downloading now, I cant wait to play. :D

I only tried it that one time when time ran out on me and i got tired, LOL But the city was destroyed by the nest, i invaded the city infact with a dragon.;)

Yeah I saw that in you save and I believe that thats why its crashing. The dragons don't have an AI making them unstable. I intend to make a AI stationary to get rid of that. Plus their heavily coded. Did the dragon turn into a barbarian?? You know, there's a reason I made it so you can't build them.

Who is doing your spells? i need some in my MOD!!

I've already told you I'm doing all the programming :rolleyes:.

-Laina@ Hi back at ya:love: , your so kind, thx. And i will do anything i can, that way if i need help someplace down the road maybe people will finally help me, LOL:p

I can't make any promises. However, I'll dl you mod ant take a look at it, and possible if I get the time and make this mod stable I'll help out with setting up you magic :).

@Kael
Hope you enjoy it, but post back any thought you have.

@All
For the next release I'm going to take out the wild fire component. It's too unstable. So I'm going to graphically improve the dragon system and fix it up very well.

Cool start. I like the dragon roosts.

One thing that kept me from playing is that complete games aren't really possible. To me that would require
* filling in the empty techs
* preventing the AI from trying to build both space ships (at least, that's what it does in the Middle Ages mod)
* fixing the 86% land area space ship condition

Another impediment for me is that it doesn't yet look very different from the vanilla game or other mods. The names are cool but I don't know the setting, so they don't evoke anything specific.

Other observations -
* improvements are less balanced than in vanilla. Farms, windmills, and watermills are roughly balanced because they all give a total of 3 Food+Production, but farms are better because you can get better production (4 FP) from mines. Lumbermills are stronger because they give 4 FP and come pretty early. Workshops are much weaker. Cottages are probably balanced against farms because they don't get the extra bonuses they get in vanilla, either.
* 10% and 15% bonuses are tiny, often zero, after they get rounded down
* Scythed Chariots come way earlier than anything else
* Axemen and Spearmen are superceded by better units very quickly
* spelling: Whispers, Cavalry, maybe Immortalation or Immortality

Thank you for your observations. By pointing this stuff out we can make the mod better faster. I intend to release a new version this weekend that will fix a lot of things. However, I encourage you too keep an eye out as the mod will only get better.

About the improvements thats one of the largest things I need to look into. I intended the farms to be the best food supply but limiting them to directly touching a water source. Apparently setting up the tech tree so that it doesn't allow irrigation makes irrigation available from the start. So I'll probably make construction or machinery allow irrigation and one of the magic techs allow it to always be irrigated. I promise this will be fixed next by next release.

Beta 1.1.0 Announcement:
Available: March, 17-18, 07
Added or Fixed:
More balanced bonus
Additional buildings
New new bonus
Wild Fire removed
Improved dragon spawn system
Fixed the 86% land area space ship victory condition

Also I'll post about a cool wip I've just started soon. I have to round up some pictures first though.

Graphics Update:

Condition Indicator:
I wanted to give units conditions but I wanted it different than many other mods such as FFH2 which have the same thing. However, I want to give it an interesting twit. Below is my 'interesting' twist. This is currenty not in game but any feedback welcome. Afraid it won't be in the 1.1.0 Beta :p.

The below unit is "Called".

The settler is "Called". and the green unit is "Poisoned".

Assassin.
New unit I made. The body is by SeZereth but re-textured by me, again any comments welcome. This will be in the 1.1.0 beta.

Can you add in some Customized music in this game to make this mod a little bit better on sound? I always say that to every mod that does or does not have any customized music that make it feel like it's fantasy then plain original and not cool music.

I like to see new city arts in this game for different civilization so that we can tell which is which better, we do need a new change of everything, including graphics.

Just wanted to post up: Definatly one of the best mods i've played. Those crazy dragons were annoying when I was trying to expand but awesome to control :D

Theres a lot of hard work gone into this - and it plays great. Everyone should give this a go. Great stuff. :)

@Classic, looks great, as usual!!

@Darkedone, we do plan to add customized music for the mod - that is something I am working on - but it won't be ready before the next release. I agree with you on the importance of music for mood setting, :)

Top Bottom