New Craters and LM Terrains

Okay, First of all, props go out to mrtn for his excellent works on his chasm LM terrains for Hills and Mountains. I have been looking for something like this for a long time. I have played around with them all week and came up with another type of LM terrain. Not sure what to call these babies. Badlands, plateaus or cliffs would be appropriate.

I have made the LM Mountain terrain facing North, while I have include the South facing version as a LM Hill and as snow-capped mountains. This way you can have them both as impassable to wheeled or outright for both the terrains if you wish.

Also included is a version of the craters overlay which using these crevices.

It's my first ever mod posting on the site and I am quite proud. There were some problems with the default colour underneath being the Grassland green. I wanted to be able to tell the two levels apart so I made it so the low ground was Plains and the Grassland was high. I tried to blend them to improve the way the game combines the terrains using the lxdgp.px because I couldn't figure it out. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Sorry, this is [c3c] only.

Attachments

• Sample1.jpg
    Sample1.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 913
  • Sample2.jpg
    Sample2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 663
  • CratersLM.zip
    134.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Sample3.jpg
    Sample3.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 706
Very nice... Pretty sure someone will put these to good use! :thumbsup:

I had been toying around with things like this. I originally took the craters I made and tried to make them look like ice sheets. Unfortunately, it seems you can't have different graphics for LM Sea. I had too versions of the crevices, one with icy blue shadows and one with black. The problem as you can see from the screenshot is that the default terrain underneath is grassland, even with the tundra modpack. I can't figure it out so if someone else knows and can tell us or they want to figure it out themselves that would be great.

In the shot, the ones with tundra underneath are LM Mountains, while the ones with Grassland underneath are LM Hills.

I originally wanted the underneath terrain for my badlands to be desert, but the grassland always came up. I tried to blend things in by going outside of the diamond and thought about doing something similar with the tundra-ice crevices, but I don't look forward to reinventing the wheel if you catch my drift. (get it? snow. drift :lol: ) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I like the ice craters adn thought they could be used to block part of the ocean unless you have an icebreaker unit to clear them up. but the craters do not affect movement. Also they could be added to a land terrain and have the unit terraform them, but the problems are the lack of terraforming options in Civ3 and the fact that changing land to sea tiles can't really work. With the exception of with global warming perhaps.

PS. By the way, check out all the gold the map generated on that island! There was none anywhere else, but there was an equally large dye patch. This island has two starting points and 15 gold. Interesting.

Attachments

• Ice Crevices.zip
    114.7 KB · Views: 162
  • craters.pcx
    76.6 KB · Views: 180
  • sampleshot.jpg
    sampleshot.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 318
Hmmm...looking at William's Screen shot makes me wonder if you couldnt make glaciers and ice sheets out of mountains and swamps...??...surely you could make your Ice sheets from Swamp (tho you would then lose swaams, AND the random map generator wouldnt understand to not put them in humid areas near the equator...but for an Arctic terrain perhaps...)

A modding rampage, huh?

:rotfl:

:) Yeah. Life is severely koyaanisqatsi (Hopi: "Life out of balance"). So I'm simultaneously working on:

1. World War Zero 1756 - 1763
  2. 1898: World War One
  3. 1071 CE To The Near Future, and
  4. The Alternate World (ahistorical/historical hybrid Epic)

:suicide: ,

Guess Who

:rotfl:

:) Yeah. Life is severely koyaanisqatsi (Hopi: "Life out of balance"). So I'm simultaneously working on:

1. World War Zero 1756 - 1763
  2. 1898: World War One
  3. 1071 CE To The Near Future, and
  4. The Alternate World (ahistorical/historical hybrid Epic)

:suicide: ,

Guess Who

I probably shouldn't list the amount of mods and scenarios which I'm working on and still consider development to be fairly "active" :p

...There just ain't enough hours in the day...

If you are asking me, Ozymandias, I am sorry that I don't know. I have moved on to modding Civ IV and will stay there. (Not to happy with V).

Great that these are still of interest to people still!

Top Bottom