ID card costs rising

ComradeDavo

Formerly God
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6642339.stm

ID card costs rise above £5bn

Supporters say ID cards will boost national security.
The official cost of the controversial ID card scheme has risen to £5.31bn.
The figures were released as Tony Blair announced his departure, leading to claims from the opposition that the government was "burying bad news".

The Tories and Lib Dems also claimed that the Home Office broke the law by releasing the updated figures a month later than they should have.

The Home Office put the £400m increased costs down to extra staff carrying out vetting and extra anti-fraud measures.

Compulsory

Projected costs from 2006 to 2016 were calculated to be £5.31bn, compared with previous estimates of £4.91bn.

The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats said the true rise was actually £640m - to £5.55bn over 10 years.

Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said: "The public will see through this transparent and pathetic attempt to bury bad news.

"It is also no surprise the government has had to revise their cost estimate up by so much.

"The public should brace themselves for more increases every time this estimate is updated."

'Great white elephant'

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Nick Clegg said: "It is bad enough that the government seeks to bury bad news behind the camouflage of Tony Blair's announcement.

"Breaking the law to do so breaks new ground even for Tony Blair's Labour Party."

He added: "The costs are now spiralling out of control. On the grounds of expense alone, the Government should do us all a favour and abandon this great white elephant before it is too late."

Liberty Director Shami Chakrabarti said: "The soaring costs and declining support for the grand ID card folly are increasingly inescapable.

"Surely this dangerous and expensive idea must leave Number 10 with its author?"

ID cards are not due to become compulsory until at least 2010.
Shame on Labour for attemting to bury the news!

Show me one terrorist attack which would not have happened had ID cards been available and I may start to consider their implementation. Although the Police have called for these measures, IIRC, they have admitted that they would not have stopped the 7/7 attacks anyway.

A government's poorly-thought-out plan's costs rising significantly? Shocking. :shake:

No wonder you Brits are anti-state. ID cards and Big Brother I would be pissed all the time as well.

I heard that Brown is less keen on the ID cards than Blair, so we can but hope. (No, I haven't got a source, my sister commented on it in a text conversation a couple of months ago and I've deleted it since then.)

http://www.no2id.net/ for anyone who's really interested in this.

Yeah, nothing like that in the United States...

Real ID passed?!? I thought that was shot down a long time ago. :mad:

Sometimes living out in nowhere has its advantages with privacy. :)

I think in 2005 our buddy Rep. Sensenbrenner got it stuck in some unrelated emergency appropriations bill, and the Senate acquiesced. :mad: :gripe: [pissed]

Yeah, but half the States are refusing to comply! If only Ohio were one....

If I want a National ID, I'll use my passport.

Excuse my total ignorance, but I'm TOTALLY surprised: there are countries that do not have ID cards?? :eek:

Because I've had that discussion some time ago when the measure first came up, apparently the ID card they plan to implement in the UK contains much more than simply your name, DOB and address, so it's not exactly like the ID card we're used to in France and apparently in Romania.

But yeah, my first reaction was like you: I couldn't understand the big fuss about an ID card, because I thought it was just like a driver's license or a passport... :)

ID would be a good idea if done properly! ATM it's like the NHS database ( which I am way more worried about) it's insecure and has too much information stored in a big brother style way.

However, it's so easy to comit crime such as fraud in the UK, just change your name and adress and the system is screwed. In finland they have had ID cards for a while, and they work well. They don't have retina scans ( why the F do want them?!) they are just a good way to help protect citizens, none gets abducted in finland, as you have to use your ID card for things like shopping :lol: but then again here in britian we have good reason not to trust the government...

Excuse my total ignorance, but I'm TOTALLY surprised: there are countries that do not have ID cards?? :eek:

In the US, ID cards and licences are done by each State. Canada's are done by each Province. There are no national standards.

If you want a national ID, you get a passport -- though the Liquor stores in Ohio won't accept this as ID for some reason. *******s.

I always hated sensenbrenner. I don't know how those idiots across the county line can vote for him. He is the biggest piece of crap to come out of this state. Patriot act, that stupid thing, and at least 4 other idiot ideas he has had. I am glad I don't have to live in his district. I suppose that is what happens when Madison kicks all it's republicans out and sends them to washington county.

Masquerouge is right, the ID cards system here would be alot more invading of ones privacy than on mainland Europe.

ID cards here are simple. Name, DOB, Address. Mainly used for buying booze and other stuff then anything else.

Top Bottom