SGOTM 05 - Geezers

I just tried loading the game for the first time. All I get is the following message:

after which I'm back to the main menu. What am I doing wrong, guys?

Pariah said:
What am I doing wrong, guys?

Did you load the HOF mod required to run this scenario? If not, I think there are directions in the maintenance thread.

I really don't think we want to be diverting troops to Sally's land at present. We have Alex to take down as well as our homeland and Corinth to defend. Once Alex is down then we can consider whether we want to attack Sally's land or not. For the time being I think we're better looking to sink his galleys instead.

I agree... Alex first so we can get a supply line to Corinth. Once we finish Alex, then we can reconsider Sally. I would not send pillagers, with the number of troops he has, we might stand to lose a couple.

markh said:
I just remembered that we do not have alphabet or do we ? If not we cannot get a tech for peace. That option is moot then.

I would assume that if he has Alpha, we could trade tech for peace. Having said that, I did check to see if he could trade techs, but it doesn't look like it. Probably worth checking now and again in case he gets Alpha.

What am I doing wrong, guys?

From the first page of this thread:

This game will be played in Civilization IV version 1.74, using special HoF Mod 1.74.SGOTM5.

For some reason the first page of this thread doesn't link to the mod. However the first page of the maintenance thread links to the special HoF MoD. This is the link.

A number of teams had problems with this mod originally. I think the best way is to expand the zip in a temporary folder and then copy the mod from there to the Mods folder under "<Install Drive>:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods" where <Install Drive> is the drive where you installed the game.

Did you load the HOF mod required to run this scenario? If not, I think there are directions in the maintenance thread.

Yes I did: its written in the top right corner of my screenshot.

Sam_Yeager said:
I think the best way is to expand the zip in a temporary folder and then copy the mod from there to the Mods folder under "<Install Drive>:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods" where <Install Drive> is the drive where you installed the game.

Will try this, thanks.

BTW, Sam: is your username based on a character in Harry Turtledove's WorldWar novels?

BTW, Sam: is your username based on a character in Harry Turtledove's WorldWar novels?

Yes, that is where it comes from. ;)

There was a lucky fellow: a 35 year-old civilian minor league no-hoper who got drafted, managed to spend most of the war behind the lines with Lizard PoWs, became an officer, betrayed his government and yet still ended up American ambassador on the Race's homeworld, long after he should have died...

There was a lucky fellow.

That's one way of looking at it. However that's not why I took the name.....

Can you load the game successfully now?

No. Its crazy. I must be cursed - my MP3 player has been acting up last 2 days as well.

When is my turnset supposed to be over? Perhaps I need to reinstall Civ4.

:(

We don't tend to have a hard and fast rule about that in our team. We may need to skip you but I'll leave that decision for the captain. Perhaps a pity that you didn't try to load a previous save before making yourself available.

There were a number of posts in the maintenance thread about the problems that people had. Have you looked through that for clues? There a link to the maintenance thread in the first post of this thread.

Sorry to hear that you could not get it to work, yet. I'll give you another 24 hours to get it to run. If you will get it to run within 24 hours you will get another 48 hours to play your turns.

@Pariah - When I extract the zip file it repeats the mod name twice. You actually want to end up with a directory structure like "<Install Drive>:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\HoF Mod 1.74.SGOTM05" with the Assets directory etc. immediately below when you copy the mod to the Mods directory. Is that what you are getting or are you getting "<Install Drive>:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\HoF Mod 1.74.SGOTM5\HoF Mod 1.74.SGOTM5 with the Assets directory etc. below?

@Pariah
Exactly as Sam says. And this also happened to me the first time I unzipped it.
The result of this is that CIV thinks it has the mod installed (and marks it on the screen as in your screenshot) but it will not work as intended.

For reference, the folders should look like this:

@AgedOne - Thanks for showing the correct name of the mod folder. I was posting on a different machine from the one where Civ is installed so I couldn't check the name was correct.

Thanks for the advice geezers! I did a full reinstall, implemented your suggestions...

AND NOW IT WORKS!!! :)

I'll update you tomorrow on how the first half of my turnset has gone. Suffice to say I'm hoping to capture Athens... but it will be a close-fought battle.

Thanks for the advice geezers! I did a full reinstall, implemented your suggestions...

AND NOW IT WORKS!!! :)

I'll update you tomorrow on how the first half of my turnset has gone. Suffice to say I'm hoping to capture Athens... but it will be a close-fought battle.

Glad to see you're up and running! Consider yourself dealt in.

Also good to see is optimism :D
Don't go too mad, tho. I think capturing Athens in the first half of your turnset is going to be nothing short of miraculous. I'll have my hat ready, just in case, mind.

(Cautious old me would be building a handful of catapults first, and then pounding the hell out of Athens with them)

Suffice to say I'm hoping to capture Athens... but it will be a close-fought battle.

:confused: I thought the idea was to build some cats to take down the defences before attacking Athens. Otherwise The-Hawk could have attacked Athens during his turnset.

Glad to hear that you can successfully load the save. :)

Only 2 turns from Construction... definitely should build a couple of cats before taking Athens. I think it will take the all of Pariah's turnset to build them and move them into place. Looks like the honor of capturing Athens will go to whomever is next after Pariah.

OK: here's the breakdown of my first 5 turns.

Started 320 AD (end of turn).

IBT:
*2 Barbarian galleys move west away from Yayoi
*Spanish chariot moves towards Yayoi.
*Japanese archer moves next to Magyar.
*EDIT: Christianity is founded in Athens! How does Alex come up with techs so quickly?

Turn 1 (335 AD):
*Moved worker SW out of Corinth to build cottage on grass tile.
*Settler N of Ning-hsia building road.
*Alex. does not have Alphabet: no peace-for CoL swap available.
*Move 2 keshiks SE from Corinth, 2 tiles.
*Move 3 galleys (holding 4 axemen) NE 2 tiles, next to Athens. See Alex has 6 defensive units available.
*Other Galley ordered to Turfan (to defend home waters).
*Worker near Karakorum move W onto banana tile, building road.

IBT:
*Random Barbarian moves.

Turn 2 (350 AD):
*Discover Construction. Chose Iron Working next. Science rate down to 40% (-8 gold/turn) as treasury is fast running out, thus 5 turns to IW.
*3 galleys back SE 2 tiles. Unload 4 axemen into forest at southern tip of Athens island.
*Keshiks hold position.
*Corinth borders expand. Move 1 population point to work grass tile SE (soon to be cottage). 36 turns to city growth.
*Start building catapults in Corinth, Beshbalik and Karakorum.

IBT:
*Enemies move away from Yayoi & Magyar.

Turn 3 (365 AD):
*2 keshiks board galleys near Athens. Move galleys NE then N along coast.
*4 axemen move NW onto horse pasture tile S of Athens. Fortified.

IBT:
*Greek axeman and chariot attack our axemen stack. Both enemy units killed; 2 Mongol axemen damaged (3/5).
*Arab archer moves into jungle tile S of Ning-hsia.
*Arab chariot 2 tiles SW of Ning-hsia.

Turn 4 (380 AD):
*Move chariot into Ning-Hsia, stack with keskik. Will wait for enemy to leave jungle.
*1 axeman pillages Greek horse pasture (+4 gold). Treasury now 6. Science rate down to 30% (-1 gold/turn).
*Other 3 axemen (including damaged ones) move NE onto hill with Greek copper mine, E of Athens.
*Unload 2 keshiks onto same copper mine tile. Fortify all units.
*Galleys hold position (my mistake, I should have sent 1 back to Corinth).
*Settler north of Ning-hsia moves E into forest tile.
*Settler on banana tile moves SE to hamlet by river.

IBT:
*More random barbarian moves.
*Arab archer moves NE onto our copper mine.
*Arab chariot holds position.
*Alex has built new scout in Athens - now has 5 defensive units present. Why didn't he build an archer instead?

Turn 5 (395 AD):
*Keshik/chariot stack in Ning-hsia attack Arab archer to E. Enemy unit destroyed; no damage to our units. Re-station both in Ning-hsia.
*Move last axeman onto copper hill E of Athens.
*Keshik pillages Greek copper mine (+9 gold). Will discover IW in 2 turns.
*Settlers building roads in woods NE of Ning-hsia, and on hamlet NE of that.
*3 galleys move E 2 tiles, back toward Corinth. Axeman with CR2 boards.

Game saved. EDIT: Right now, the situation is this -

Great, it works for you now ! :goodjob:

Looking forward to see the report on the second 5.

Top Bottom