CivIVor: Beyond the Sword

Do you want to join the game?

• Total voters

IglooDame

Enforcing Rule 34
Supporter
Retired Moderator
All,
The poll speaks for itself. The game will be simultaneous turns, double moves allowed except as part of a war declaration, 22 hour timer (which makes turns take a little over 24 hours). No teams. All leaders/civs open (including duplicates) but no customization of leaders (i.e. Boudica of the Romans).

- Accelerated start (say 600 points) that will remove the month of "click twice and wait till tomorrow" at the beginning of the game.
- The following items "ON" (all the others off):
No Technology Trading - ON
No Technology Brokering - ON
Lock Modified Assets - ON (not sure about this one given bugs in it)
Always War - ON (though I imagine this will be the most disputed setting)
Choose religion - ON
Require Complete Kills - ON

All Victory conditions Enabled.

Map type: Lots of choices. If we have a full 18player game I'd say Standard with low sea level (or one of the nearly-all-land maps), if it ends up requiring a 18+ player mod I'd say we go to Large. Huge is too much for some people's PCs so I'd rather reduce the elbow room instead.

Edit: Player list below, actual game settings here, rules here.

Truronian - Sitting Bull, Native America
BCLG100 (eliminated) - Jao II, Portugal
Robi_D - Pericles, Greece
Classical_Hero (eliminated) - Zara Yaqob, Ethiopia
VRWCAgent - Charlemagne, Holy Rome
BCLG100(AIed) - Saladin, Arabia
BirraImperial - Bismarck, North Dakota
ComradeDavo - Tokugawa, Japan
Dandridge - Darius, Persia
Azzaman - Pacal II, Maya
killercane - Justinian, Byzantium
Little Corporal (eliminated) - Napoleon, France
Robboo - Hannibal, Carthage
Whomp/Tubby - Mansa Musa, Mali
Stapel - Ragnar, Vikings
taillesskangaru - Suvayarman, Khmer
IglooDude - Boudica, Celtia
Socralynnek - Huayna Capac, Inca

Sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!:goodjob:

Would say have 'lock modified assets' turned off though, so we can upgarde when the next patch is released.

BTW, when's the estimated start time? I aren't at home again (and thus can't play civ:eek: ) till friday evening (GMT)!

Alright its working now, to bad its a test because I had a really nice start.

When will we be starting by the way?

Tentatively Sunday start. Earlier if everyone is happy with the settings.

Are we still using Advanced start even though its bugged?

If we were to do two maps i'd be happy to make the second map and just add a few workers/settlers to everyones starting position if someone else would repeat it for the map i was playing on.

Also, requires complete kills- i don't see too much point in this other than when a player who has lost every city will just switch to AI and thus the AI will be annoying for the rest of the game, why would that player not use them troops to defend their city?

I'd prefer if we had continents, we could always set it to two or three, just having archi pretty much eliminates half the civs UU's.

edit- i still want to be native americans or portugal :)

Are we still using Advanced start even though its bugged?

If we were to do two maps i'd be happy to make the second map and just add a few workers/settlers to everyones starting position if someone else would repeat it for the map i was playing on.

The advanced start bug is (correct me if I'm wrong) that a player can give himself another gp over and over again, right? I'm figuring on having a neutral party log into everyone's civs after they've taken their first turn and check to make sure they haven't used the bug to buy more stuff at the start. Anyone found to have been using the bug is out of this game and any other one I run.

Also, requires complete kills- i don't see too much point in this other than when a player who has lost every city will just switch to AI and thus the AI will be annoying for the rest of the game, why would that player not use them troops to defend their city?

Yeah but if a player gets bumped to AI, someone will kill those units purely for the sake of housekeeping. But I think it is more interesting that if a player manages to take someone's last city and they still have units around, they can still cause some pain for that player with any remaining units. Better that then having units ready to counterattack but they disappear when the city goes down.

I'd prefer if we had continents, we could always set it to two or three, just having archi pretty much eliminates half the civs UU's.

edit- i still want to be native americans or portugal :)

Yeah, I think island/archi maps are a lot less fun in the big MP games.

The advanced start bug is (correct me if I'm wrong) that a player can give himself another gp over and over again, right? I'm figuring on having a neutral party log into everyone's civs after they've taken their first turn and check to make sure they haven't used the bug to buy more stuff at the start. Anyone found to have been using the bug is out of this game and any other one I run.

Yeah, I think island/archi maps are a lot less fun in the big MP games.

Yeah but then people can accidently give themself more gold, simply by clicking once too often then having to delete. I dont think theres any way to undo if that makes sense?

Bout the last point- completly agree, think i read the OP wrong i thought you'd finalised on Archi being the setting what with the pitboss page showing it as number one :)

If we have 18 players on a standard size map room is going to fill up pretty soon so we may as well put on raging barbs so we see more than just wolves.

Also, not having played BtS a lot, what does choose religions and tech brokering mean?

Yeah but then people can accidently give themself more gold, simply by clicking once too often then having to delete. I dont think theres any way to undo if that makes sense?

Bout the last point- completly agree, think i read the OP wrong i thought you'd finalised on Archi being the setting what with the pitboss page showing it as number one :)

If we have 18 players on a standard size map room is going to fill up pretty soon so we may as well put on raging barbs so we see more than just wolves.

Also, not having played BtS a lot, what does choose religions and tech brokering mean?

Choose religions means that when you are the first to found a religion tech like meditation you choose what religion you want to found. No tech brokering means you can only trade techs that you have researched yourself.

I'm not going to go ballistic if someone has one gold more than they should. I am going to go ballistic if someone has more than one gold more than they should.

And yeah, I hit that drop-down only to show the additional BtS map types.

Yeah, I could go with raging barbs. And choose religions means that when you are the first to Meditation, you can choose any of the seven religions, you're not stuck with Buddhism. Which aside from just being a bit cooler, means you can't figure out what tech people have hit just because they found a religion. Tech brokering means you can trade techs that you have researched, but not ones that you've traded for/been gifted. Which has its place in singleplayer, but is 99% the same effect as tech trading when everyone coalesces into 3/4/5 civ alliances.

In if there's space... My vote is with Big/Small for the map, it has the best bits of Pangaea and Archipelago. It also has more room than maps of its size typically should.

Won't always war eliminate international missionaries from the game?

If its always war then i don't see how religion can spread since you will never have trade routes.

I haven't had a look at all the new map types so i can't say which i would like, but i don't have an issue with the other settings

- Accelerated start (say 600 points) that will remove the month of "click twice and wait till tomorrow" at the beginning of the game.

Accelerated start makes absolutely no sense when I try and start with that option on. I would much prefer it to be off.

No Technology Trading - ON
No Technology Brokering - ON

If No Tech Trading is on, then by default no one can Tech Broker. My preference towards these options would be
#1 Both Tech Trading and Brokering on.
#2 Tech Trading on, Tech Brokering Off
#3 No Tech Trading

Lock Modified Assets - ON (not sure about this one given bugs in it)

What difference does it make?

Always War - ON (though I imagine this will be the most disputed setting)

Definately no for me, especially since we will be on a crowded map.

Choose religion - ON

Don't care either way.

Require Complete Kills - ON

Don't care either way.

All Victory conditions Enabled.

Sounds fine.

Map type: Lots of choices. If we have a full 18player game I'd say Standard with low sea level (or one of the nearly-all-land maps), if it ends up requiring a 18+ player mod I'd say we go to Large. Huge is too much for some people's PCs so I'd rather reduce the elbow room instead.

Large Big & Small map with Snaky Continents would be my preference. It would prevent the map from being too predictable like Continents.

Top Bottom