What does OT think?

What do you think I should do?

• Total voters

Tank_Guy#3

Lion of Lehistan
A little background first:

I am a networking student (going for the IT Networking Degree), and I have been for the past four semesters. I'm not currently taking any networking courses now (as I've finished all of them), but I am still pursuing this degree.

There are two campuses (one in Wisconsin Rapids, and one in Stevens Point) with labs dedicated to networking students. The Stevens Point campus "networking lab" also allows programming students, as they have classes in that room too.

The teacher in question has never gotten along with me. We tolerate each other when the need arises, but it is obvious that we are NOT friends.

And today she has finally crossed the line...

Earlier today I was working in the Wisconsin Rapids networking room, when this teacher walked in and said "You can't be in here. This lab is for networking students only. You're not taking any networking courses now."

Yet, both the programming and networking teachers in the Stevens Point campus both said it was fine that I worked in the "networking" lab there. And last semester, my friend (who dropped out of the networking degree for another) was working in the WI Rapids networking lab (after dropping, and the teacher knew), yet this teacher said nothing. I believe also that the very same thing happened a day or two ago. I'm almost completely positive this student isn't taking any networking courses (he finished them all already), this teacher knows this, and she still did not tell him to leave. I'm also sure they both get along better with this teacher than I do.

This teacher has also broken her own "rule", as she brings in students in PC/Information security classes in this room as well.

Maybe it's just me, but it appears she's playing favorites and singling me out. Does it appear this way to all of you as well? Should I release the Four Horsemen of Apocalyspe (metaphorically speaking) and tell as many students as possible about her actions? Should I go over her head and speak to her boss?

What would you have to gain by striking back, and what would you have to lose? Then compare it with what you have to gain by not striking back, and what you have to lose, and make an informed decision.

Find out if there are any posted/written rules about the networking room, and if you are in the clear, tell her to take it up with the administration.

In the end, however, if you do have other options for computer space on campus, I wouldn't bother...

I'll back up what the Chevarian food said on this. Sometimes battles aren't worth fighting. It's taken me 22 years to learn it and even then I forget it often. I tilt at windmills far too often.

So what did you do to piss her off?
I have no idea. Though our viewpoints vary politically, she's liberal, I'm conservative. We got into some discussions about that, I didn't insult her, but maybe she took it personally when I shot down every single one of her so-called arguements.

Just drop your pants and say "fine, have it your way".
I don't need a couple hundred dollar fine right now.

What would you have to gain by striking back, and what would you have to lose? Then compare it with what you have to gain by not striking back, and what you have to lose, and make an informed decision.
I get into a room I am rightfully entitled to be in if I strike back and win. If I don't strike back she'll probably think she won and keep trying to boss me around (not acceptable in my opinion).

Che Guava said:
Find out if there are any posted/written rules about the networking room, and if you are in the clear, tell her to take it up with the administration.
I've basically summed them up.

Che Guava said:
In the end, however, if you do have other options for computer space on campus, I wouldn't bother...
I prefer this room as the computers are superior (in basically all regards) to any other computers on campus.

The Yankee said:
I'll back up what the Chevarian food said on this. Sometimes battles aren't worth fighting. It's taken me 22 years to learn it and even then I forget it often. I tilt at windmills far too often.
I've had about 4 or 5 classes with her, and I've let nearly every other arguement drop (save the occasional political one that I joined in on. When the friend I mentioned above got into it with her). Which could possibly be why she thinks I'm a pushover in this regard. I feel it is time to stand up for myself.

well i think you should take the matter up privately with her first. Just tell here you think that there seems to be a missunderstanding...etc blah blah.

Proffesors do not like it when people go over them and complain it could very well make matter worse for you, but if talking to her does not resolve your issues then go to the department head and file a formal complaint.

well i think you should take the matter up privately with her first. Just tell here you think that there seems to be a missunderstanding...etc blah blah.

Proffesors do not like it when people go over them and complain it could very well make matter worse for you, but if talking to her does not resolve your issues then go to the department head and file a formal complaint.

I had attempted to do a little reasoning with her before I was thrown out of the lab, but it was to no avail. Even when I said I would leave after I got the files I wanted off the computer (apparently waiting a few minutes for me to get what I needed and get out wasn't good enough). But I agree.

If you're allowed to be there, then ignore her and stay there. If you're not, then complain about lax security in the room (citing the people who you know to be in a similar situation as you are).
If she tries to throw you out when you are entitled to be there, tell her so. If she makes a fuss, ignore her.
When she calls for help you can laugh when they tell her that she's wrong. If they confirm it then you have a very strong complaint to take to their bosses. Perhaps you should have a copy of the rules ready.

never question someone with authority out in the open, some professors will poop a brick, dry it out and then throw it at you. It is likely you won't be able to fix your tensions with her and going over her head will make matters worse,

so unless you think you have the power to do some real damage to her, then you will only feed the fire that is already under your bottom.

and trust me if you report her as being hateful..etc.etc, she will probably know it was you.

I have no idea. Though our viewpoints vary politically, she's liberal, I'm conservative. We got into some discussions about that, I didn't insult her, but maybe she took it personally when I shot down every single one of her so-called arguements.

Never ever discuss politics or religion with anyone your senior. Ever.

Right now though, tell her that the other teacher lets you use the room. I'd avoid her tbh...

Before deciding to engage in battle, do the necessary reconnaissance - are the rules posted, who has been violating them and when, and so on.

The result of you raising hell about it might be that no one is allowed to violate the rules, and the teacher will presumably claim that you ruined it for everyone. Are you prepared to deal with that?

Strike back, but not in an underhand way. First of all I'd say what you posted to her face and see if she changes her attitude. If not, I'd then complain to her boss.

screw her over. i hate teachers like that

A number of OT posters seem to have fantasies about professors. :mischief:

I bet she has the rules on her side. All of the various labs at my school are reserved for students currently enrolled in a class of the department.

Your poll needs another option: "She pwns me".

Noone cares if she is singling you out; that is her perogative. When you complain and "ruin it for everyone else", it will be a pyric victory (if you care at all that others still benefit from a bending of the rules).

Start a selfish war with her, you and your colleagues will lose.

Strike back.

Top Bottom