What did your parents think of the Democrats while growing up?

What did you parents think of the Democratic Party while you were growing up?

• They were pro, but I am anti, Rightwing or Center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They were pro, but I am anti, Leftwing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What did they think of the democrats?
Before we dig into this, I have to ask why you invited me to participate in this thread. You mentioned that you made this thread actually hoping that I'd participate. So what exactly are you hoping to learn? How do you think someone's parents' view on the Democrats or Republicans bears on their broader personality, their lives, their own political views?

Do you also think that everyone in the country has a black or white view on Democrats? Because in my experience people actually have a somewhat complicated love-hate relationship with them. I mean, I guess in Beverly Hills where you live, you're pretty much a Democrat or a racist, but you should know the country as a whole is a lot more complicated than that. Do you spend as much time looking into local elections as you do hammering on everyone to vote in the national ones - you know, where a lot of people's vote actually doesn't even matter, because the outcome is already decided? Do you know about the relationships local judges, courts, and the DA have with parties and politicians?

A lot of people end up being jaded because the Democrats are filled with promises, but are seemingly powerless to do anything about Republican gerrymandering. Instead they get the same finger-shake about "vote blue no matter who."

In the end, it doesn't matter what people from Ohio think. I've seen people get brainwashed by Fox News, and other people turn to the Democrats as a savior to purge disinfo and restore decency. Frankly "political opinion" is just masturbation for comfortable first world pigs who've got it all figured out, the world being too stubborn and ungrateful to accept it.

Anyway, I say that's enough politics, so let's settle our differences over some nice free trade bananas. 🍌

Before we dig into this, I have to ask why you invited me to participate in this thread. You mentioned that you made this thread actually hoping that I'd participate. So what exactly are you hoping to learn? How do you think someone's parents' view on the Democrats or Republicans bears on their broader personality, their lives, their own political views?

Do you also think that everyone in the country has a black or white view on Democrats? Because in my experience people actually have a somewhat complicated love-hate relationship with them. I mean, I guess in Beverly Hills where you live, you're pretty much a Democrat or a racist, but you should know the country as a whole is a lot more complicated than that. Do you spend as much time looking into local elections as you do hammering on everyone to vote in the national ones - you know, where a lot of people's vote actually doesn't even matter, because the outcome is already decided? Do you know about the relationships local judges, courts, and the DA have with parties and politicians?

A lot of people end up being jaded because the Democrats are filled with promises, but are seemingly powerless to do anything about Republican gerrymandering. Instead they get the same finger-shake about "vote blue no matter who."

In the end, it doesn't matter what people from Ohio think. I've seen people get brainwashed by Fox News, and other people turn to the Democrats as a savior to purge disinfo and restore decency. Frankly "political opinion" is just masturbation for comfortable first world pigs who've got it all figured out, the world being too stubborn and ungrateful to accept it.

Anyway, I say that's enough politics, so let's settle our differences over some nice free trade bananas. 🍌
I want to know if your parents hated the democrats or regarded them as "the problem" politically. I have different values than you, which is to say, I value different information to begin with. This poll would have been a lot better timed 10 years ago, as it's looking like almost everyone American in OT had parents who preferred democrats.

there’s nothing more to post in a poll thread with an insufficient poll
The great thing about the thread is that you can post your reply to the question posed regardless of the poll options. For example, did your parents diverge from one another?

I am non-American, for the record, but my parents believed that, "the United States of America should be obliterated with thermonuclear weapons, because that's where all the wars come from". I suspect that is anti-Democrats. Myself, I personally, do not know. i would say that I am a moderate in this sense - I think my parents rose some good points, but I would say that their methods go too far. Just because you don't like a country doesn't mean you should glass it into kingdom come.

I want to know if your parents hated the democrats or regarded them as "the problem" politically. I have different values than you, which is to say, I value different information to begin with. This poll would have been a lot better timed 10 years ago, as it's looking like almost everyone American in OT had parents who preferred democrats.
Well, that's just what I want to figure out. What do you value in that information? It can't be demographic or statistical data, because this is all anecdote (and a very small and non-random sample at that). It also can't be a nuanced or full-bodied view of what our parents' thought, because there are categories of political thinking that, again, go outside of pro- or anti-Democrat. Don't you think that's an important piece of information to be missing? Or do you think everyone who doesn't like Democrats is just like insane California Republicans, who are mostly trolls anyway?

Mom came from a fairly moderate family but leaned D once she moved away from home. Dad grew up in a non-Orthodox Jewish family so he's a very partisan Clinton-Obama Democrat. Despite being in the Anti-SJW bubble from my mid teens to early 20s, I've more or less moved further left the entire time.

Sometimes people like to talk without having a specific, quantitative sense of utility in mind. We call this "conversation."

I'd be happy to further elaborate, but unfortunately, I gain more utils/minute doing something else.
Big talk for a guy who has run away from me like 500 times on this website. :lol:

But the decline in gained thrills is forever.

Well, that's just what I want to figure out. What do you value in that information? It can't be demographic or statistical data, because this is all anecdote (and a very small and non-random sample at that). It also can't be a nuanced or full-bodied view of what our parents' thought, because there are categories of political thinking that, again, go outside of pro- or anti-Democrat. Don't you think that's an important piece of information to be missing? Or do you think everyone who doesn't like Democrats is just like insane California Republicans, who are mostly trolls anyway?
No, I think people really dislike the democrats in general, including democrats, for all kinds of reasons. But I want to know on this one issue from where people are coming from. Maybe we can look through other lenses as we think about them and create those threads as well.

Voted joke option. I am Australian and our Democrats are the Australian Labor Party. My mum is anti-Labor from the Left and my dad is anti-Labor from the right. The people they remarried have confusing politics I don’t get. I am a Communist.

Me, I’m rather complex since my political evolution in the past decade would be described as a rollercoaster due to the influence of anti-SJW content creators and the blatant militant leftism of Imperium Offtopicum (the latter caused me to seek out anti-SJW content as a form of schadenfreude and cope after being bullied for being a social democrat and become more anti-communist, plus being vulnerable after loosing two friends in CFC circa 2016 did not help matters).

I became more anti-Democratic Party as I saw (or told) that they were moving more towards the left and embracing woke SJW values while throwing working class Americans, like myself, out to the curb. The breaking point for me simping for Republicans was during the BLM Riots in the summer of 2020.

Hi, one of the blatant militant leftists of Imperium Offtopicum here, quite possibly one of GenMarshall's former friends as well (I don't know if GenMarshall ever considered me a friend, I considered him a friend once).

The fact that light chiding about Social Democrats drove you into the arms of reactionaries who openly want to kill me and many of your other former friends validates every joke that an IOTer has made at the expense of Social Democrats (better known as Social Fascists). The fact that you started simping for the people who openly celebrated the death of George Floyd because black people got a little too upset about that for your liking is utterly shameful.

The shake up was a gradual one, I didint have Charlottesville moment to instantly shake me out. The only close equivalent was January 6, though it was slow to process it since I was on the side of “the Democrats didn't bat an eye during the BLM Riots of 2020 yet freek out when January 6th happened”.

wow its almost like those two events were completely different

I’m still a registered Democrat, though I’m more or less a (or rather slowly returning to) Social Democrat with an anti-communist bent.

How long have you been "slowing returning to being a Social Democrat" now? Like two years? More? That's bloody glacial.

Your renunciation of your embrace of reactionary anti-SJW nonsense seems utterly insincere because it does not take 2+ years to transition actively transition away from a political ideology. I am speaking from personal experience - when I realised that the anti-SJWs were lying evil monsters, I stopped listening to them and stopped identifying with their political outlook! It did not take 2+ years of active transition, more like 2 minutes!

You either believe in the anti-SJW nonsense you once believed in or you don't. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Taking this long makes you look extremely insincere in your beliefs.

And heck, lets say you transition to being a Social Democrat, what you originally believed. What's to stop you from jumping all the way back to the far-right next time another scary Communist, transgender or black person says "boo"? I am a Communist transgender, is this post going to "force" you into voting Trump next election?

Last edited:
That's some distance acuity.

I believe it means you're not being empathetic enough, but as usual it's hard to tell.

lol

I try and be empathetic but there’s only so much empathy for someone who simps for people who want to see me and my friends dead. Someone who insists they no longer hold those beliefs, but whose words come across as completely insincere as they have said that they have abandoned those far-right beliefs on multiple locations and then I catch them posting or liking the same toxic crap in OT like a month later.

There’s only so much one can stand.

I can see this is going to personal levels now.
Hi, one of the blatant militant leftists of Imperium Offtopicum here, quite possibly one of GenMarshall's former friends as well (I don't know if GenMarshall ever considered me a friend, I considered him a friend once).

The fact that light chiding about Social Democrats drove you into the arms of reactionaries who openly want to kill me and many of your other former friends validates every joke that an IOTer has made at the expense of Social Democrats (better known as Social Fascists).
I’d would ask other IOTers whom weren’t part of the militant leftist cliques. They cite they were very uncomfortable with the rhetoric that was actively being cultivated there and left because they didint want to deal with the feeling of being unwelcomed. I still recall the statement SouthernKing made when he made that post way back in 2018 and I resonated with his statement and should have been a wake-up call to tone down the rhetoric less you alienate the rest of the community. I can tell you, the “light chiding” was anything but light when you even have center-left people feeling alienated.

The fact that you started simping for the people who openly celebrated the death of George Floyd because black people got a little too upset about that for your liking is utterly shameful.
Celebrated? At most they were criticizing the rioting that happened in the summer of 2020. All I saw were rioting and looting. I know and admit that there are peaceful protests, they aren’t covered as heavily as the riots.

wow its almost like those two events were completely different
The snide remarks are unneeded.
How long have you been "slowing returning to being a Social Democrat" now? Like two years? More? That's bloody glacial.

Your renunciation of your embrace of reactionary anti-SJW nonsense seems utterly insincere because it does not take 2+ years to transition actively transition away from a political ideology. I am speaking from personal experience - when I realised that the anti-SJWs were lying evil monsters, I stopped listening to them and stopped identifying with their political outlook! It did not take 2+ years of active transition, more like 2 minutes!

You either believe in the anti-SJW nonsense you once believed in or you don't. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Taking this long makes you look extremely insincere in your beliefs.
I have a life outside of these boards and engage in hobbies and activities that don’t revolve around politics and a full time job. Do you honestly expect a person to do a 180 turn in under a second? It’s quite unreasonable and unfair to expect someone to make that much of a drastic change in under a second. I’d argue the opposite that a sudden change in under a second make you look insincere in your beliefs. I am speaking from experience when I was younger, I was chided for being a flip-flopper back in the 2000s in OT.

Again, change is gradual. Not a snap of the finger instantaneous event you do. There’s a thing called self-reflection that I have been doing for the past years. “Change Gabe’s surroundings and you’ll change Gabe”. I still stand by my statement that I’ve renounced my old anti-SJW beliefs, but don’t expect me to self-flagellate myself, write an essay about it, or annoyingly virtue signal about it.

And heck, lets say you transition to being a Social Democrat, what you originally believed. What's to stop you from jumping all the way back to the far-right next time another scary Communist, transgender or black person says "boo"? I am a Communist transgender, is this post going to "force" you into voting Trump next election?
That’s very disingenuous to presume that I’d vote for Trump on the basis of your post (especially after I had voiced that I’m considering voting third party 2024) and that your a communist transgender. Again, I have already done self-reflection in regards to the far-right and I have already ruled them to be very authoritarian, which are antithetical to my values for freedom and liberty from the get go.

Am I going to take away your freedom of speech because you’re a communist? No, because I still value freedom of speech.

As I see it, you’re the passengers that are complaining why we’re not moving when the train just slowly left the station.

I can see this is going to personal levels now.
The snide remarks are unneeded.
So what's this then?
blatant militant leftism of Imperium Offtopicum
An accurate and unbiased depiction, or perhaps, a snide characterisation based on how you feel / felt?

Certainly doesn't seem like an impersonal rational description of forum posters to me.

And before you say this is "ganging up" or the like, please do remember that I offered my help without any aggro, very recently.

Top Bottom