[BtS] JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD

jkp1187

Unindicted Co-Conspirator
NOTE: This mod was built using patch v.3.13. As a result, it will crash if the new v.3.17 patch is installed. I will update this as soon as I can, but things are very busy in real life for me at the moment. Thanks for your patience! --jkp1187

DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.42 here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7690

For those who want to play this game with up to 40 civs, I have merged it with Lt. Bob's 40 civ mod. This is available for download here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8424

v. 1.35 has introduced several more tweaks, one new technology (Astrogation), and a reworking of several pre-existing features for game balance. It also includes an SDK change. Merging this mod with other SDK mods will now require a compiler.

Key changes from v. 1.12:
Spoiler :
NAME CHANGES FROM 1.35:

i.) Apollo Program renamed MISSION TO MARS
ii.) Clones (future workers) renamed CLONEJACKS
iii.) The BUILDING "Advanced Shielding" has been renamed to DEFLECTOR SHIELDING
iv.) The unit DREADNOUGHT has been renamed to TITAN

c.) NEW TECH FROM 1.35:
i.) ASTROGATION (prereq = Biological Warfare, Satellites, Composites.)

d.) BUILDING CHANGES FROM 1.35:
i.) RECYCLING CENTER (no longer eliminates buliding pollution...now is +1 health and +1 happiness, cost reduced by 50%.
ii.) ARCOLOGY (Cost increased to 1000 hammers).

Substantive changes from 1.35:

1.) This build includes Bhruic's Unofficial BtS Patch v. 1.11. The only SDK addition is the on/off switch for the resource depletion function. If you want to play with more than 40 civs, please download the mod titled: "JKP1187's NextWar + 40"

2.) SDK MOD: The mod now has its own CvGameCoreDLL file, so merging with other mods will now require a little bit of compiling. This change was necessary to create an in-game on/off switch for the Resource Depletion function. Resource Depletion defaults to off. I have included the two SDK files with changes in the CvGameCoreDLL folder.

3.) MISSION TO MARS REPLACES APOLLO PROGRAM and ASTROGATION TECHNOLOGY ADDED: Per my discussion earlier, I removed the Apollo Program and replaced it with a new project called Mission to Mars, to make the Space Race a bit more of a race. I also added a new technology, Astrogation (prerequisites: Bio Warfare, Satellites, and Composites) that will enable construction of the Mission to Mars.

4.) Cost of the Mission to Mars is now 2500 hammers, to represent the magnitude of such a project.

5.) Biological Warfare now requires Aquaculture.

6.) The Nanoids promotion is now available with Combat III or Drill III -- previously it was available only with Combat IV.

7.) Recycling Centers now cost 150 hammers (reduced from 300). They now only provide +1 health and +1 happiness instead of removing all building-related pollution. Thanks to endgame buildings such as the Arcologies, and the ready availability of Sid's Sushi and Cereal Mills, I felt that this building needed to be nerfed a little.

8.) Biological Warfare Missiles now receive a 100% bonus when used against Gunpowder, Archery, Siege, Mounted, Melee, and Clone units.

9.) Clone units are now eligible for the Anti-Biological Warfare promotion.

10.) Assault Mechs -- adjusted the value iAirCombatLimit to 100, as it was supposed to be. The Assault Mech's ranged attack should now work as intended.

11.) Renamed the Dreadnought Unit and Category both to "Titan". This was done to avoid confusion in case players wished to merge NextWar with a mod that included the WWI-era Dreadnought-class ship. No changes otherwise made.

12.) The future worker-replacement "Clones" was renamed to "Clonejack", again to avoid confusion, as there was already a "Clones" unit category. No changes otherwise made.

13.) The building "Advanced Shielding" was renamed to "Deflector Shielding", again to avoid confusion. In this case, the civilopedia was confusing BUILDING_ADVANCED_SHIELDING with TECH_ADVANCED_SHIELDING. (The technology remains named "Advanced Shielding".) No changes otherwise made.

14.) Readjusted the frequency of checks for resource depletion. Also made the checks scale with game speed.

15.) Readjusted the likelihood of resource depletion.

17.) Made several XML text edits to certain Civilopedia entries/added some new NextWar concept entries for new players under the "Beyond the Sword Concepts" section.

18.) Rebalanced the game speeds. I left the tech rate at the default rate, but gave small (4%) increases to everything else -- growth, worker rate, building construction rate, unit construction rate, culture rate, etc. -- to keep in line with the 5% increase in game turns. (Culture rate costs, which had been increased 5%, is now increased by only 4%.) ERRATA: the Civilopedia says the across-the-board increase was 5%. This is incorrect. The correct number is 4%.

19.) Cost of the Arcology building increased to 1000 hammers. I also removed the +50% discount for Arcologies that Expansive leaders received. I felt that this building just was too inexpensive (especially for an Expansive leader.) The shielding buildings, however, have retained their earlier costs.

20.) Updated to include new events from JKP1187's Events Mod v. 1.13.

21.) Verified that Biological Warfare Missiles do not cause population loss on use in cities, so I removed that misleading text from the Civilopedia.

JKP1187's Not Just Another NextWar Mod

NEXT WAR RULES AND CHANGES

NOTE: This information is accessible via the Civilopedia under Beyond The Sword Concepts\Next War Rules and Changes.

1.) SUMMARY

This mod will give an epic-style game that permits players to start in any era (ancient through future) and play to any of the standard victory conditions, with the NextWar techs and units playable once they become available in the game, and overall making as few other changes as possible. Everything's been updated to be compatible with 3.13, and I have added a few tweaks here and there (nothing major) to enhance playability. Download and enjoy! This mod uses as a starting point both Paul Murphy's NextWar mod, and the code included in the NextWar–Enhanced mod done by Ansible. Many thanks to both!

2.) RULES CHANGES:

a.) SPACE RACE: Most of the Space Race projects have been assigned to new technologies. The idea is to delay the Space Race until the players were using the additional NextWar technologies. It just didn't seem fun to have a player arrive at Alpha Centauri before the new techs had been researched, which was quite possible.

* MISSION TO MARS (formerly APOLLO PROGRAM) requires ASTROGATION (formerly ROCKETRY) (Cost increased to 2500 hammers).
* SS ENGINE: requires COLD FUSION (formerly FUSION)
* SS COCKPIT: requires CYBERNETICS (formerly FIBER OPTICS)
* SS DOCKING BAY: requires SHIELDING (formerly SATELLITES)
* SS LIFE SUPPORT: requires HYDROPONICS (formerly ECOLOGY)
* SS STASIS CHAMBER: requires CLONING (formerly GENETICS)
* SS CASING: requires COMPOSITES (unchanged)
* SPACE ELEVATOR: requires ROBOTICS + SATELLITES + FUSION (formerly just ROBOTICS + SATELLITES).

b.) CORPORATE EXECUTIVES: I have left the unit cap from the 3.02 patch in place -- no more than three (3) executives per corporation per civ can exist/be constructed at any given time. The basic AI tends to spam corporate executives to its own detriment. Bhruic's patch fixed this somewhat, but without the cap, the AI still tends to overbuild. (At the same time, I did not feel that the cap would severely restrict the human players' corporate expansion.)

c.) PARTISANS EVENT/EMANCIPATION: Whenever a city is razed that is owned by a Civ running the labor civic Emancipation, the Partisans event will ALWAYS fire. (It will never fire for any civ that is NOT running Emancipation.) I felt that it would be nice to add a slight bonus to Emancipation while in the process of fixing the code for this event (which had been buggy.) The event will never fire if Random Events are turned off.

d.) ARCOLOGY/ARCOLOGY SHIELDING/DEFLECTOR(Advanced) SHIELDING: The cost of all three of these buildings has been doubled. These are supposed to be mammoth society-altering structures; it seemed appropriate that their hammer cost at least be in the same ballpark as a National Wonder.
i.) In addition, the Arcology now requires both Hydroponics and Composites -- to simulate the fact that special building materials are necessary for the structure.

e.) EXPLORER/CONSCRIPTION: For some reason, Explorers were given the ability to be created via Nationalism/Draft. In addition, they are also available to be created as the “freebie” unit given to colonies upon independence. Since it is, in my opinion, nigh-useless to have an explorer as a draftable unit (all the more so because an Explorer can’t be upgraded to anything,) I have disabled this.

f.) NEXTWAR SCENARIO LEADERS REMOVED: Because this mod is meant to be as faithful as possible to the standard “epic” game, the NextWar civs/leaders (Mr. Big/America Inc., The Lady/Southern Empire, etc.) have all been removed. I did not believe that they added much to the epic game.

g.) "CRACKED LIKE AN EGG" REMOVED: The NextWar event where the world "cracks like an egg" after 20 nuclear explosions/meltdowns has also been removed from this mod.

h.) ADDITIONAL GAME TURNS/GAME END YEAR: Every game speed option now has 5% more turns -- NORMAL speed has 525 turns, not 500 turns. The speeds have also been adjusted to end at 2100AD instead of 2050AD. The reason for this is to give additional time for players to exploit the NextWar techs and units.

i.) Rebalanced the game speeds. I left the tech rate at the default rate, but gave small (4%) increases to everything else -- growth, worker rate, building construction rate, unit construction rate, culture rate, etc. -- to keep in line with the 5% increase in game turns. (Culture rate costs,
which had been increased 5%, is now increased by only 4%.) ERRATA: the Civilopedia says the across-the-board increase was 5%. This is incorrect. The correct number is 4%.

j.) RANDOM EVENTS: I have added all of the random events from JKP1187's Random Events Mod. I have also added three new NextWar-specific random events that are available only in this mod:

The Cylons: (Prereq: At least one civ must have TECH_CLONING and at least one civ must have constructed a Cloning Factory, must have barbarians active)
1.) A group of Barbarian Automatons appears on a plot randomly chosen WITHIN the player's territory. Number varies depending on map size.

Sensors: (Prereq: TECH_SHIELDING and at least one (1) Stealth Destroyer):
1.) All Stealth Destroyers receive the SENTRY promotion.

Slip and Fall: (Prereq: Must have at least one (1) Assault Mech, unit must be on a plot that does NOT have a route of any kind (road or railroad), unit must be at full strength, cannot have COMMANDO promotion.
1.) Assault Mech suffers 33% damage.

k.) RESOURCE DEPLETION ADDED: I have added the simulated resource depletion code from the NextWar Scenario (it had been left out of the original mod.) The game will periodically do a check to see if any resources currently being worked (with the requisite improvement, a fort, or with a city,) should disappear to simulate resource depletion. The chances of a resource depleting are between 1:10 and 1:30 when the check is made (it won't necessarily be every turn, and the interval between checks scales with game speed) Resources will not disappear unless the civilization that owns the resource has the enabling tech (e.g., Iron Workin for Iron.) Also, if the civ is running the economic civic Environmentalism, the chance of resources disappearing for that specific civ are reduced by 50%.

NOTE: as of version 1.35, this option can be switched on or off via the Custom Game startup screen as desired by the player. The setting defaults to "off", so if you hit "Play Now!", you will not have the option to switch it on.

l.) Nanoids promotion is now available to Armor, Naval Units, and Gunships.

3.) EXTRAS:

a.) TECH QUOTATIONS/VOICE-OVERS: I have added voice-overs for all of the NextWar technologies. I have also done vocals for the short multiplayer narrations (e.g.,“You have discovered Advanced Shielding.”) Yes, that’s my voice. I retain the copyright on that work. Others may use them freely as long as (a) they do not use them for a profit, (b) I receive credit, (c) they are used only for mods to Civ 4 and its expansion packs, (d) those expansion packs are made freely available on Civ Fanatics and/or Apolyton, or (e) I otherwise specifically grant permission for their use. I also changed a couple of the tech quotations to ones I thought fit better.

Also, if you are going to reuse the voice overs in part or in full, please post a notice that the copyright on that work is held by me. Thanks!

b.) GLANCE TAB: I have included code restoring the glance tab to the diplomacy screen in CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py. If you think it's too ugly, just don't look at it! :)

c.) CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL ICON: I have included a new icon (provided by bmarnz) showing C. Everett Koop's likeness as the icon for the CDCNational Wonder. This replaces the CDC's previous icon which was (confusingly) identical to the United Nations' icon.

d.) NEW UNIT CATEGORY ICONS: I have included new icons for the NextWar specific Unit Categories (Clones, Assault Mech, Bioweapons, Dreadnought).

Previously, the game re-used pre-existing icons, which could be confusing.

e.) STALIN'S NEW MUSIC: Variations on the Great Soviet Anthem were included for Stalin's middle and late era diplomatic music. (The early era music remains the Volga Boatsman's Song.)

To the best of my knowledge, the music included is in the public domain. Both files are available for free download here:

http://www.hymn.ru/index-en.html If that is not the case and you are the copyright holder, please contact me immediately via private message at the Civilization Fanatics Center or the Apolyton Civilization Site. My userid is: jkp1187.

f.) NEXTWAR INTRO SPLASH SCREEN: now plays regardless of which intro screen the player has selected (although the music from the selected screenstill plays.)

g.) NEW CIV FLAGS: Added new flags for America, England, France, Spain, Russia, France, Germany, India, Rome, and Arabia. Most of these are from BadRonald's flag mod from CivFanatics.

h.) ENGLAND/RUSSIA COLOR SWITCH: Purely for my own aesthetic reasons, I switched the colors of Russia and England. England is now Dark Red, Russia is now White.

Forgive my ignorance, but where should I extract the files to?

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

@ jkp1187

Is it possible to merge the ranged bombardment mod with this in the next update?

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

@ jkp1187

Is it possible to merge the ranged bombardment mod with this in the next update?

@Ruffriders

I hadn't really contemplated including the ranged bombardment, because (in my opinion) that's a pretty big departure from the standard rules, and I'm trying to keep this mod with relatively unchanged core rules. (And, to be honest, I've never played it.) Right now, my modding time is being spent working on expanding the number turns maybe by 5%-10% and am also writing some new random events (some of which will apply to the general game, others of which will be NextWar-specific). In the process of the latter, I've found that I'm more or less going to have to learn python, so that's sucking up my free modding time.

Certainly, if you want to splice that mod in yourself, using this the stuff from my NextWar mod, please feel free to do so (as long as you give me a shout-out).

@Cornelius

Make sure that you create a subfolder under "mods" when you extract the files -- e.g.,

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD (or whatever).

Well, with 700 hits to this thread, I assume that at least some people have downloaded the mod and given it a try. Does anyone have any feedback?

Next, I am going to add ~ 5% to 10% more turns to every game speed, to give more time to use the new NextWar techs. I will also be adding some new random events soon.

It's worked fine for me so far. I haven't really played enough to get to the Next War part of the scenario, but everything seems to be running smoothly. I'll let you know when I get to the good part.

It's worked fine for me so far. I haven't really played enough to get to the Next War part of the scenario, but everything seems to be running smoothly. I'll let you know when I get to the good part.

Thanks. I'm especially interested in how well the alloted time works -- assuming competent play, do you have a shot at maxing out the tech tree? I never really felt as though i did with Ansible's NextWar-Expanded (but it's a question whether or not my play was adequately "competent", plus I usually play with NO TECH BROKERING enabled, which also slows down teching a little.)

I'm thinking of increasing number of turns by 5% (e.g., NORMAL speed goes from 500 to 525 turns,) leaving tech speed completely unchanged, then slowing down everything else (culture production, population growth, production, espionage,) by, say, 3%. (Mainly b/c I don't want tech to out-pace everything else by too much, having never messed around with these game speeds before.) Appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks. I'm especially interested in how well the alloted time works -- assuming competent play, do you have a shot at maxing out the tech tree? I never really felt as though i did with Ansible's NextWar-Expanded (but it's a question whether or not my play was adequately "competent", plus I usually play with NO TECH BROKERING enabled, which also slows down teching a little.)

I'm thinking of increasing number of turns by 5% (e.g., NORMAL speed goes from 500 to 525 turns,) leaving tech speed completely unchanged, then slowing down everything else (culture production, population growth, production, espionage,) by, say, 3%. (Mainly b/c I don't want tech to out-pace everything else by too much, having never messed around with these game speeds before.) Appreciate thoughts on this.
Well I'm currently playing my first game with the is mod and so far so good. This is exactly what I wanted, normal game but with extra techs. I agree with increasing the game length, but I'm unsure if I'd want the culture etc rebalanced to slow everything else, just the extra turns - but I haven't thought it through.
Quick question, to add extra turns do I just add extra turns on
</iTurnsPerIncrement>
?

Well I'm currently playing my first game with the is mod and so far so good. This is exactly what I wanted, normal game but with extra techs. I agree with increasing the game length, but I'm unsure if I'd want the culture etc rebalanced to slow everything else, just the extra turns - but I haven't thought it through.
Quick question, to add extra turns do I just add extra turns on
</iTurnsPerIncrement>
?

Yes, more or less, but note that where you add the extra turns can radically affect the date tracking. If you add it to the first grouping, where iMonthIncrement is (on normal speed) at 480 (i.e., each turn = 480 months or 40 "years" per the in-game date,) you could easily end up with a end turn at, say, 4500AD or something like that. Adding the turns to the end will be easier to keep the date range under control. You can also tack on a new increment (e.g., in the code below, if you want a final increment where one turn = 1 month for 50 turns, that can easily be done just by adding one more "<GameTurnInfo>" with <iMonthIncrement> = 1, and <iTurnsPerIncrement> = 50 (and, in the game, the calender will advance exactly 50 months in that time, one month per game turn.)

Code:
        <GameSpeedInfo>
            <Type>GAMESPEED_NORMAL</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL_HELP</Help>
            <iGrowthPercent>100</iGrowthPercent>
            <iTrainPercent>100</iTrainPercent>
            <iConstructPercent>100</iConstructPercent>
            <iCreatePercent>100</iCreatePercent>
            <iResearchPercent>100</iResearchPercent>
            <iBuildPercent>100</iBuildPercent>
            <iImprovementPercent>100</iImprovementPercent>
            <iGreatPeoplePercent>100</iGreatPeoplePercent>
            <iCulturePercent>100</iCulturePercent>
            <iAnarchyPercent>100</iAnarchyPercent>
            <iBarbPercent>100</iBarbPercent>
            <iFeatureProductionPercent>100</iFeatureProductionPercent>
            <iUnitDiscoverPercent>100</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
            <iUnitHurryPercent>100</iUnitHurryPercent>
            <iUnitTradePercent>100</iUnitTradePercent>
            <iUnitGreatWorkPercent>100</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
            <iGoldenAgePercent>100</iGoldenAgePercent>
            <iHurryPercent>100</iHurryPercent>
            <iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>100</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
            <iInflationPercent>30</iInflationPercent>
            <iInflationOffset>-90</iInflationOffset>
            <iVictoryDelayPercent>100</iVictoryDelayPercent>
            <GameTurnInfos>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>480</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>75</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>300</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>240</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>120</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
            </GameTurnInfos>
        </GameSpeedInfo>

The reason I'm worried about balance with the other factors is that if I arbitrarily increase number of game turns without balancing anything else, victory conditions are thrown a little bit off. If you will, right now, technology doesn't need to be balanced (increasing the number of game turns IS the balance, so to speak,) and re-adjusting the spaceship part techs has put the ability to win the space race at the end of the tech tree, and presumably at the end of the game, where it's supposed to be. But if Increase turns by 5% without balancing out anything else, then presumably the average player will be able to score, for instance, a cultural win 5% quicker (as far as points are concerned) than he otherwise would have in a normal, non-NextWar game.

The same would apply even for a conquest/domination win, since in terms of producing units, a player would be able to build units 5% quicker -- thinking in terms of the number of turns as a % of overall turns available in the game. So if there are 500 turns in a game, a unit that takes 5 turns to construct would take 1% of overall game turns. If there are 525 turns in a game, and the same unit still takes only 5 turns to complete (all else being equal) then this only take 0.95% of the total game turns. Since your final game score (AFAIK) depends on how quickly you win versus how many game turns remain when you win, this sort of marginal difference will add up.

So, assuming two identical players are playing Civ -- one regular BtS, the other my NextWar mod, and assuming they play on identical maps against identical opponents, and every player makes identical moves, and assuming the player goes for ANY victory condition OTHER than space race, the NextWar player will get a higher score than the vanilla player because he's given more turns in which to successfully complete the game. It creates an incentive for the points mavens to basically NEVER try to go for the space win in NextWar (which really kinda hurts the purpose of the mod). The Space Race win, since it's been moved to the end of the game regardless, will always be the lowest-scoring win.

So right now, for those reasons, I'm inclined to do a little re-balancing, but I will hold off until I get some feedback after a couple of you have played the game to the end and tell me what you think.

P.S. This is based on what I believe to be true about total points at victory -- if this is incorrect, I'd appreciate it if someone would give me a heads-up.

Just wondering whether this is something which needs fixing or if I somehow corrupted a file. This happens when starting up the game with this mod.

EDIT ...image has been removed...

Just wondering whether this is something which needs fixing or if I somehow corrupted a file. This happens when starting up the game with this mod.

Since I haven't added any NextWar-specific events yet, I haven't included the file "Civ4GameText_Events_BTS.xml" as part of my NextWar mod, so that shouldn't be from the mod. Were you maybe messing around with that file in your core game directory -- C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text?

It looks like it'll be real easy to fix, though. Looks like the problem is that one of the XML tags for the Spanish language is formatted incorrectly. Instead of the opening tag for that one line being spelled [Spanish], it's spelled [SpanisH], which doesn't match the closing tag of [/Spanish] -- it's all case-sensitive, you see. So if you fix that (and as long as there are no other typos) it should be good.

Got me out of my strict lurking state to congratulate your "Kelp... its what's for breakfast" voiceover :lol: - Really good!

For a bit of feedback:

Really enjoying it so far, running a bit tight on time with the tech tree like you predicted... In all fairness though, I hate the whole time victory concept so I usually remove it from the victory conditions.

Definitely makes Next War a heapload more appealing, without making too many dramatic changes that drift from the original intention. Its like... Next War, just not beta. Really cool stuff.

Now I just need to figure out how to combine it with Rhye's and Fall of Civilization for the ultimate Civ 4 experience....

Got me out of my strict lurking state to congratulate your "Kelp... its what's for breakfast" voiceover :lol: - Really good!

For a bit of feedback:

Really enjoying it so far, running a bit tight on time with the tech tree like you predicted... In all fairness though, I hate the whole time victory concept so I usually remove it from the victory conditions.

Definitely makes Next War a heapload more appealing, without making too many dramatic changes that drift from the original intention. Its like... Next War, just not beta. Really cool stuff.

Now I just need to figure out how to combine it with Rhye's and Fall of Civilization for the ultimate Civ 4 experience....

Thanks for the feedback. I have some free time during this four-day weekend, so I will definitely change around the time a little. Do you think a 5% increase is sufficient (i.e., a "normal" speed game would go from 500 to 525)?

Probably, yeah. I'll go start another game and check out how long it takes me this time around and see exactly where I am in the tech tree. Will play a huge map with plenty of civs and see how it goes :)

Since I haven't added any NextWar-specific events yet, I haven't included the file "Civ4GameText_Events_BTS.xml" as part of my NextWar mod, so that shouldn't be from the mod. Were you maybe messing around with that file in your core game directory -- C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text?

It looks like it'll be real easy to fix, though. Looks like the problem is that one of the XML tags for the Spanish language is formatted incorrectly. Instead of the opening tag for that one line being spelled [Spanish], it's spelled [SpanisH], which doesn't match the closing tag of [/Spanish] -- it's all case-sensitive, you see. So if you fix that (and as long as there are no other typos) it should be good.

Yeah I noticed that. Good to know it's only on my end then. I'm at a loss to think how the file got changed - I don't mess with any files like that.

Anyway, sounds like a great mod. I'm playing a game with this mod at the moment so I'll report back if anything looks odd.

I'm not sure I agree with your suggested change that bombers and fighters see subs...

Yeah I noticed that. Good to know it's only on my end then. I'm at a loss to think how the file got changed - I don't mess with any files like that.

Anyway, sounds like a great mod. I'm playing a game with this mod at the moment so I'll report back if anything looks odd.

I'm not sure I agree with your suggested change that bombers and fighters see subs...

That's cool. I'm still going back and forth over it myself. I won't change it at all unless everyone demands it and I have a chance to test it out in a game myself and agree that it's an amazingly wonderful idea. So far, I haven't had any time to play a proper game of civ since last month....so no worries on that last bit for the foreseeable future.

I am also going to be releasing a mod component with some new random events for the basic game...hopefully I will have some time to throw in one or two NextWar-specific events and add it to this mod as well over the 4-day weekend.

Updated to v.0.92. I have added 5% more turns to all game speeds. Contrary to my earlier post, I did not make any other balancing adjustments; since people were saying that it seemed that the game was moving too fast to reach all the NextWar techs, I figured it was best to at least make this change immediately. Hopefully I'll get round to playing a full (normal speed, anyway,) game over the next week or two to see how things balance when I adjust for research times.

Also added several new random events that I drafted from my JKP1187's EVENTS mod. All of these events are independently usable in the vanilla BtS epic game (although most of them occur toward the end of the game and Battle Lasers in particular can only happen so late that it's probably only of use to NextWar players.)

1.) Battle Lasers
2.) Futbol War
3.) Napalm
4.) Billions and Billions
5.) Reactive Armor
6.) Greek Fire
7.) Free Enterprise
8.) Fiat Money
9.) Crossing the Rubicon
10.) The Generals' Putsch
11.) Cure for Cancer
12.) Carnation Revolution