Steam Civ IV (for FfH) being a pain in the arse.

Raane

Chieftain
Absolutely love the game, it's like gaming crack and has revitalised my love of Civ.
However, i'm desperate to get the patch 0.25 working but it's being stubborn.
I have Civ IV vanilla, Warlords and BTS installed on steam. I've managed to get the vanilla FfH 0.23 working but i can't seem to get 0.25 going with BTS. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to install, which packs/patches to install first and which mod game's directory do you install them in? Do you start it through vanilla or BTS?

Hmm.

How far can you get exactly? Like can you start everything up but then it crashes when you click "start game"? If so you should try deleting warlords, and reinstalling BTS.
Oh and do you have patch 3.13 installed?

I've got so far as it not actually recognising the mod.
Steam does automatic updates so i assume i'm at 3.13 (it says civilisation 3.12 in the about bit in advanced too)

3.12 is NOT 3.13
From the main menu click on advanced, than click on check for updates and hopefully you'll but updated to 3.13

D2D updates tend to be slower than updates for the retail version IIRC.

Bleh that 3.12 was a typo, it said 3.13.
Anyway, i think i've found the reason. It seems steam does things a funny way. Rather than installing BTS in the vanilla directory, it seems it's created a whole new game directory which references the civ IV directory but is named BTS. I installed it to the mods directory there, however within this faux BTS directory there is a second BTS directory which would presubably be the real one where it installed on vanilla.
Befuddlement in extreme, i'm installing there and keeping my fingers crossed.

Right, a little update, i've got it running. For future reference, if you have the Steam version of Civ IV and BTS then you have to install the 0.25 version in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods' because of the way Steam manages games.

Top Bottom