Problems with HOF Mod & Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
1. People have expirenced problems with Windows Vista and the HOF Mod. If you are having problem please try the solutions below:
That was the plan but I needed to know DaV's user set up before proceeding.

These insructions apply to Windows Vista.

For a single user machine the process is pretty straightforward as there is no need to implement file shares.

It goes like this

Right Click on the Firaxis Games directory in the C:\Program Files path and select the Properties option. In the first tab labeled "General" are two checkboxes at the bottom - one is labeled Read Only and should be greyed. Clear it so the check box is empty, then click the Apply button. A dialog box with two radio buttons will appear, select the all folders, all subfolders and all files button. Click okay and :coffee: and :smoke:

This will take a while as the machine processes all those files.

When that has finished in the same Properties dialog box click the security tab. In the scroll box labeled Group or user names you will find various names. Click on Users.

The scroll box at the bottom will show all Permissions assigned to the Users group for this set of files. If the permission do not include Full Control click the Edit button just above the scroll box. That opens another dialog box that allows you to change User Group permissions. Select the Users group in the upper scroll box and then check the Full Control check box in the lower scroll box. Click Apply. Get some more :coffee:

You should be good to go.

For a Vista OS with multiple User accounts you also need to set up Sharing on the Firaxis Directory in the Program Files path, the Civilization 4 directory and the Mods directory and the HoF Mod directory.

I had an easy time with my dual install, other than this exit button hang. Mine was a BtS install from disk, so patches installed easily. Might explain why a simplification of your advice seems to have worked, for now ...

What I did was to apply this to the HOF-1.74.001 folder in the mods folder in the program files path, rather than the whole firaxis games directory. I will have to do the same to warlords, and for each mod that I add as long as the bug continues. But it did go pretty fast! And I prefer minimalist solutions whenever I can get them.

The exit button hang is fixed :goodjob:

Again, thanks for the help!

dV

2. Also, sometimes there are other problems that can be corrected with this:

Try the following MS procedure with your Civ4 EXE’s:

Scenario 2: Mark an application to always run elevated
Scenario 2 is similar to the previous scenario in that you want to run an application or process as elevated with the administrator access token. However, in this scenario you want to run an application that has not been marked by the developer or identified by the operating system as an administrative application. Some applications, such as internal line-of-business applications or non-Microsoft products might require administrative rights but have not been identified as such. In this scenario, you mark an application to prompt user for consent, and if granted, run as an administrative application. The following procedure steps you through that process.

Note:
To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a member of the local administrators group. You cannot be logged in with the computer (or built-in) administrator account because Admin Approval Mode does not apply to this account.

Important:

This procedure cannot be used to prevent UAC from prompting for consent to run an administrative application.

To mark an application to always run elevated
1. Right-click an application that is not likely to have been assigned an administrative token, such as a word processing application.

2. Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.

3. Under Privilege Level, select Run this program as an administrator, and then click OK.

Note:
If the Run this program as an administrator option is unavailable, it means that the application is blocked from always running elevated, the application does not require administrative credentials to run, the application is part of the current version of Windows Vista, or you are not logged into the computer as an administrator.

Thanks to Bede and da_Vinci for their contributions to Vista lore. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom