OT improvement suggestions

RedRalph

Deity
Personally I havent noticed any big decline but a lot of people seem to have. How about we come up with suggestions (non-binding obviously) to improve it?

1. I think a lot of the best threads come from discussuions from news stories, I reckon more of those is a good thing.

2. Maybe a lessening of threads based purely on images?

3. Maybe more calm and rational criticisms between European and US posters? We constitute the majority of posters, and lately things have become very tit-for-tat, which I'm guilty of myself. I'm talking about threads which go

USPoster: Yeah well you Europeans are commies anyway, we saved your ass back in WW2, because God says so

Europeanposter: shut up you halfwitted hillbilly, learn some culture and then get back to me, you flag-waving drone

4. More polls. they usually lead to a good discussion and give a good idea of where people stand.

any other ideas?

Moderator Action: Moved to Site Feedback

I was thinking that one, HUGE Thread could be where people post news, instead of in multiple Threads that aren't needed.

It's more than obvious that the "quality" of OP has gone down.

Many long time posters are gone now and there have been times when it isn't anything but spamfest.
Strict measures from moderators is required.

But then again don't expect me to hang around to see how it all works out.

Good luck.

It's more than obvious that the "quality" of OP has gone down.

Many long time posters are gone now and there have been times when it isn't anything but spamfest.
Strict measures from moderators is required.

But then again don't expect me to hang around to see how it all works out.

Good luck.
If the quality of OT had gone down everytime people complained about it, it would be a huge pile of crap by now...which it isn't.
Seriously, I remember a exodus around '03 where people claimed the same, and frankly I can't see much of a difference. These Spam fests, annoying as they are come in waves and in time they'll blow right over.
Personally, I have no suggestions for improvement other than those that are already implemented or unimplementable (like giving me unlimited mod powers for a day :mwaha:)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5. Don't.

QFT. A quick look back in the archives will confirm that the quality in OT has not dropped, or at least, not as much as the doom-sayers are claiming.

Although, if there's some way of cloning Alcibiates of Athenae and releasing four of him onto the OT crowd... that'd improve it no end.

Although, if there's some way of cloning Alcibiates of Athenae and releasing four of him onto the OT crowd... that'd improve it no end.

Two of them would probably run over to the other side of the argument, and they'd have a never ending flame-war among themselves.

To prevent Threadjacking, we could have a "Spamfest Thread" where everyone can add any dumb s**t they want to and flame whoever they want to without Moderator action. The other Threads would be civil in comparision.:D

If the quality of OT had gone down everytime people complained about it, it would be a huge pile of crap by now...which it isn't.
Well, I beg to differ.

I could mention easily quite bunch of names of regulars that don't post that often no more and it clearly undermines the level of discussion in OT.

The posters are also much younger than before and this decline has continued quite some time now.

Sure, there have been ups and downs before but this might be real slump.

But then again this is just one :old: rant from me.

3. Maybe more calm and rational criticisms between European and US posters? We constitute the majority of posters, and lately things have become very tit-for-tat, which I'm guilty of myself. I'm talking about threads which go

USPoster: Yeah well you Europeans are commies anyway, we saved your ass back in WW2, because God says so

Europeanposter: shut up you halfwitted hillbilly, learn some culture and then get back to me, you flag-waving drone

4. More polls. they usually lead to a good discussion and give a good idea of where people stand.

any other ideas?

You I think participated in its decline with your waterboarding thread which was a dead end post and invites spam. Plus the whole title and idea was ridiculous and laughable.

I may not be reading the endless threads but I rarely see US/european conflict as I do anti-middle east sentiment and rhetoric.

If anything less polls. Unless they are witty/ or have a serious purpose polls actually add to the spamminess and their reputation has been ruined by those who create worthless ones.

There's nothing particularly wrong with OT.

Moderators are now only there to stop flaming and spamming, which is of course a very good thing. But maybe they should get slightly involved in 'discussion enhancement'. For example, closing a thread when it isn't really spam intended, but simply because they think it won't lead to any significant discussion or it isn't fun to look at. Threads like the scenery thread lead to little discussion but it is worth looking at, so those threads shouldn't be closed. But I mean, pointless polls etc. where everyone will simply post what they voted for and leave it at that.
Or threads that start with 'Look at topic title. Discuss.', those aren't the best type of threads either.

In return, members should post less of those threads and discuss better and more in existing threads.

Top Bottom