New Players Start Here

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the immigration office! Anyone is welcome to lurk and even comment, but we ask that you become a citizen if you would like to vote. Above all, we're here to have fun, and we hope that you do too! :D

Becoming a citizen of the Democracy Game is easy! Make a post in the Citizen Registry thread with the requested information, and you're in. You may want to visit the Citizens forum, review the Factions, and join one which is compatible with the role you want to play. If you don't find a Faction you like, you can always start one and try to get people to join you. This forum is the gathering place for politics, role playing, and all the fun things we can dream up. More on Factions can be found later in this thread.

The Gameplay forum contains everything about the BTS game that provides the underlying foundation of the Demogame. Here you will find in-game information, discussions on how to play the game, and other "out of character" (OOC) information. While not required, it is preferred that all, or at least most, OOC should occur here.

The Polls forum is the voting booth for everything in the Demogame. It should contain no separate discussion theads, only polls -- though polls may of course contain (often heated) discussion. Anyone may post a poll related to in-game or in-character questions, though it's a good idea to take a look at some previous polls and follow the polling conventions. And the Prime Faction's rules may place restrictions on who should do what.

The Laws, Rules & Regulations forum is the central repository of all things legal in the Demogame. It contains the core rules, Prime Faction's rules, discussions about rules, disputes between players, and courts (optional depending on rules).

Read on for more information about what a Democracy Game is and how we're playing this one.

===================================================================
Edit: added more info on democracy games

A Democracy Game is a little bit like a Succession Game, but with considerably more structure. The DemoGame players act as citizens of a mock civilization which parallels the Civ4 game. As such, we can:

* Role play, making up stories, a government structure, an economy, and anything else we might come up with.
* Collectively decide how to play the Civ4 game, either by choosing players to lead and organize play (primarily early game) or by direct polling (later in the game)
* Anything else that we come up with.

Right now it is 4000BC and we have not decided on our leader or traits yet. Subgroups of citizens are organizing themselves into Factions, which define their platform in terms of which leader they want to play as, how they will organize their government, and how they want to play the Civ4 game. The people will choose one of the Factions to be the Prime Faction (by voting), and the game will start using that faction's platform and government rules.

This doesn't actually explain what a democracy game is... How does it work? is it like sgotm? Or is it a mp game with teams? or a mix of the two?

Hmmm I think Dave meant to expand this further considering he put "Read on for more information." Dave?

EDIT: Wow, just realized that the announcement went up. I'll give a short explanation, though Dave or someone else could surely do a better job than me.

The Democracy game is a game of Civ run by a mock government, set up by us, the citizens. By joining as a citizen, you are joining the nation that we will play in an actual game of Civ4. Actually physically playing the game is up to who is running the government at the time (which faction is currently in power will determine this). Factions are required to give reports and screenshots as to the status of the game often, so you'll know what's going on. I think that's about the basics. If you're still confused, please post in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=266004

The Democracy game is a game of Civ run by a mock government, set up by us, the citizens. By joining as a citizen, you are joining the nation that we will play in an actual game of Civ4. Actually physically playing the game is up to who is running the government at the time (which faction is currently in power will determine this). Factions are required to give reports and screenshots as to the status of the game often, so you'll know what's going on. I think that's about the basics. If you're still confused, please post in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=266004

It is that!
If that is clear, which it maynot.

May i be a merchant that goes in many factions to buy and sell stuf, like one has ivory, i go there fill my oxcart with it, then travel using factions roads, then get to another where they have marble and sell all i have, to buy marble and hire some of the local city guard(like an warrior or archer) to scout me to one city with banana and goes like this?

yeah and i can set the trade routes, and do some random events

A Democracy Game is a little bit like a Succession Game, but with considerably more structure. The DemoGame players act as citizens of a mock civilization which parallels the Civ4 game. As such, we can:
  • Role play, making up stories, a government structure, an economy, and anything else we might come up with.
  • Collectively decide how to play the Civ4 game, either by choosing players to lead and organize play (primarily early game) or by direct polling (later in the game)
  • Anything else that we come up with.

Right now it is 4000BC and we have not decided on our leader or traits yet. Subgroups of citizens are organizing themselves into Factions, which define their platform in terms of which leader they want to play as, how they will organize their government, and how they want to play the Civ4 game. The people will choose one of the Factions to be the Prime Faction (by voting), and the game will start using that faction's platform and government rules.

The important thing to remember is that we play only ONE nation, despite having multiple factions. Think of factions as kind of political parties.

That means: a lot of chit chat, and not much chop chop ^^

We're not trying to fly through a game of CIV here... it's meant to be like that. Notice how this is only the 3rd demogame since CIV (not just BTS, or even Warlords) was released?

3rd Civ 4 one, there have been a lot more civ 3 based demogames (look in the achives forums)

Well it's the same game as we would play normally, but instead of one mind making decisions, there are lots :goodjob:

With 10 turns per term or was that weekly? One term is two weeks right? I don't know about you, but I've had games where a set of ten turns turned out to be crucial to living or dieing, especially on Emperor or Monarch level, and especially if you're already at war, so technically, your faction's term could be extremely important or mundane, depending on what's going on at the time.

I would be interested in participating although I'm not particularly keen on actually running the game. I already have a faction idea. Do I post a new thread or put it here?

EDIT: wow... I'm dumb... You think I would be able to read the inital post heh... Long day.

Top Bottom