Gen. Rommel's Mighty Unit Emporium - A Unit Preview Thread

Rommel, excellent previews! Will there be a regular WW2 Landser with a K98 as well? This would be more universal and a nice addition to your late-war units with the StG44. :)

Rommel, excellent previews! Will there be a regular WW2 Landser with a K98 as well? This would be more universal and a nice addition to your late-war units with the StG44. :)

Yeah, I still want to make an early war infantry with a G98 (I doubt I'll find the carbine version) wearing a trench coat. I'll start work today I figure.

againsttheflow said:
If you could use some concept art I might be able to come up with some stuff. The civil war especially could use some nice units...

Actually, yeah, I could use some art for that. I only have about two to three units in mind so far, so I'm sure I could add some to that.

Prussians are Germanic right? If I am not mistaken Otto Von Bismarck was from Prussia and formed what was widely called the "Second Reich". Am I wrong?

Yup, perfectly correct! Prussia was just one of many kingdoms in modern-day Germany and it was the only kingdom which effectively forged all of Germany into the strong country that it was at the beginning of WWI. Since Prussia was so important towards uniting Germany, they are often merely set equal to Germany, and vice versa. Bismarck was indeed a Prussian and represented nearly every virtue that a Prussian possibly could. He was for Germany, what Nobunaga and Tokugawa were for Japan. And the second reich was, just as you said, the empire that resulted after Bismarck's union campaign. The first reich in fact, was the Holy Roman Empire (in case you weren't aware of that yet).

Then I'll definitely be giving Germany some of your Prussian units Gen Rommel.

I am definitely impressed by the quality of these previews. Its been Five years since Conquests came out I believe, yet this game's community is still going strong, moreover, since the departure of Kinboat I thought that we wouldn't see unit makers up that that level, but I was wrong...in spades! Gary, Plotinus, Sandris, Shiro, Hikiro, Quinzy, and you, awesome work.

Alright guys, I have some good news...and some bad news...

Good news is, I bought 2 gigs of RAM today (Corsair) and a brand new cooler fan. The system is pimpin' again and I should be ready to roll in terms of rendering!

Bad news is...I also bought a copy of Civ VI while I was at it...BUM-BUM-BUM *add sinister music* :eek:

Bad news is...I also bought a copy of Civ VI while I was at it...BUM-BUM-BUM *add sinister music* :eek:
I've had a copy of Civ4 since it was released. The fancy version even. Just because you own something does not mean you will like it or use it.

Wow, Civilization 6? Where can I get that? ;)

I've had a copy of Civ4 since it was released. The fancy version even. Just because you own something does not mean you will like it or use it.

Of course...and don't worry, I love CivIII modding too much to leave it be.

Ares said:
Wow, Civilization 6? Where can I get that?

Yeah, well you need special connections to Sid himself. If you want, I can get you a copy as well my Germanic Bruder! ;)

flamescreen said:
And I guess 2 gigs of Ram would be still available?
What it worth, $2 each?

Hey, if I could get 2 gigs for $2, I would be very happy. I payed €35 per Gig, so that's not exactly cheap if you ask me (though the prices for this specific RAM went down from €60).

Me said:
But I will of course be releasing them eventually. I figure one I can release relatively soon is the Germanic Axeman...there's only like two more animations to render for that guy so he is in essence done. After that will probably be the whole Prussian line up. In fact, I would have maybe finished that and started rendering animations on my friend's computer but I am still awaiting a pickelhaube prop that I am having made by said friend. He said he'd have it done by thursday at the latest, so consider that I will probably post some preview of the last few Prussians that are still pending production. At that point, I can truly start rendering all of this set and you should see it soon (if all goes well, that is).

Before the Prussians, I may also release the Spartans as well. Seems the most logical step since they are not that big of a pack (two units compared to ALL those Prussians is indeed a great difference).

Than there's still those WWII era Germans...and those 'Nam G.I.'s...and those modern day soldiers from various countries...samurai units...Japanese WWII era soldiers...American WWI and WWII...British WWI and WWII...Italian WWII...American revolutionary and civil war units...Teutonic knights...Hospitallers...Templars...Germanics...Ce lts...Romans...and...and...and

Does that answer it? ;)

Here are the promised images. Hope this isn't premature but I've got 'em now. I could not find my civil war book with the best images, it appears to be in storage. :(

Civil War

Union Soldiers

Spoiler :

Note the converted model 1855 rifle musket, caliber .58. This was the first rifle to use the famed minie ball which accounted for most of the 620,000 combat deaths in the Civilo War. On his belt is a sword bayonet, not as popular as the angular bayonet but useful for cuttin brush and firewood. The accuracy of the Civil War rifles precluded mass bayonet charges. In WW-II we still carried sword bayonets, useful for hacking jungle growth and killing scorpions.

general

infantrymen

navy

artilleryman

zuave

Blacks fighting for the Union

hat

Confederate Soldiers

Spoiler :

cavalryman

Flag bearer (army?)

hat

cavalry general

'nother cavalryman

infantryman

militiaman

Firearms
Spoiler :

I also suggest you check out this page for uniforms and equipment.

One more.

middle two are infantry, far right is soldier/engineer, far left: president's guard

I do not think you should limit yourself to Blue and Grey for American Civil War era units. The Confederacy quickly began using "butternut". And both sides fielded Zouave soldiers. I used to table top miniature game the ACW and painting Confederate forces was always more interesting because of the diversity in uniforms. They would waer a collection of grey butternut and captured "Yankee" uniforms.

Louisiana Tiger Zouave

It's interesting to note that the confederates are also often pictured in blue pants. Just remember keep them distinguishable. They're are lots of actual pics too that aren't that clear but they add a lot more flavor as far as clothing.

Top Bottom