Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Leader
Size: Standard
Speed: Epic
VC: All Enabled
Variant Rules: Aggressive AI; Raging Barbs

DM SG Etiquette Guide:
Spoiler :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; a bare-bones/no commentary, auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. We’re here to play in a friendly environment. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged. However, don’t be jerk.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

Note: I have hereby abolished specified turn length for sets in games I start (i.e., play 10 turns, 15, etc). Turnsets will be determined by in-game events, whereby each person will play until a “significant stopping point.” This could be a tech discovery, end of a GAge, end/beginning of war, birth of a GP, etc. I trust the RNGod will show you the way during your set. However, please play no less than 15, no more than 30 turns per set.

A Further Note on Punctuality
: In an effort to tighten up the pace of my games, I will be as harsh as the Fox on the 24/48 deadline. You have been warned!

Also note: Playing in AOL01 has re-engaged my love of SGs, so I want to continue the spirit of discussion and cooperation I have refound. Reports should be DETAILED, with plenty of screenshots, as well as discussions of strategy, even if not in-game, but certainly in a conclusion to the report. Also, players are expected to participate in discussions even when its not their turnset. SGs are cooperative games, so it only works if we’re all in.

Okay, here’s the start screens:

I have two games in the queue here, so I’m going to take some captain’s liberties with the roster:
Roster:
Mystyfly >> UP NOW
pholkhero >> on deck
negyvenketto
GreyFox
beserks01
Imhotep

Please check in or bow out as you will. I’ll also accept a couple sign-ups if anyone wants to take an open spot. Here's hoping for our first win on Emperor.

Attachments

• AA04 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    76.9 KB · Views: 327
now, obviously, i think WB is the i way to go first, maybe even as our first two builds.

techwise, i'm not so sure where to go. BW would be nice, but with all that food (2 fish AND grass cows :eek: ), Writing and a Library would be nice for some early scientists, so maybe wheel > pottery in the early going. Also, getting those cows up early would be cool. Perhaps build a WB > worker (at pop 2), while we research Hunting > AH > BW for chops? with IMP, all chops maybe should go into settlers. everyone should chime in on an opening strategy here.

It looks like we have a couple good plains hills, too, and who knows what's under the fog.

If there's a spot available I'll take it. If there isn't, I won't.

:salute:

I think the minimal planning and the resulting loss has had two main factors: 1) not enought discussion and 2) too much time until you get to play again / the game finally moved on. Now if we want a better game this time (as I hope), let's talk more and play faster.

My suggestions:
WB > WB > Worker

BW > Hunting > archery (if no copper nearby) or AH
This is a safe enought route for this level and should be enought to kill the barbs. I suggest using the first worker action to chop out a settler claiming copper.
FIN + coastal tiles will keep our finances up during the REXing session.
Considering this is a coastal start we have rather few coastal tiles.

Looking really good, ph :thumbsup:

I'm going to play on wednesday I think. So has everyone time to check in and comment.

Checking in.

I think just 1 WB and then worker is the way to go. We're not going to be needing the second WB til we can grow past 6 pop, I think.

As for tech, I'm for AH -> BW -> Masonry (GW again anyone?)

We're imp and can make good use of two fish, for whipping, regrowing, and cash.

I definitely am against the GWall.

Checking in.
I'm against not only GW but all early wonders.
I may go for a warrior as 2nd build before worker.
Techwise my vote AH -> BW -> Hunting -> Archery.

@pigswill:

You can have my spot if pholk wants you as I want to get another DMI game going. Good luck guys for this ride !

Imhotep

@ Im ~ that's fine ~ sorry to lose ya, but good luck (btw, playing our game tonight at some point i think; depends on teh wife :whipped: )

@ pigs ~ welcome :goodjob:

we can't get AH until either Hunting or Agr, so I think early tech order could be Hunting > AH > BW > Archery. We won't need BW until we have a worker, so i think we could safely wait on it a bit ~

we should also go w/at least one WB first, then maybe another soon after. I definitely agree w/mysty ~ w/the two fish and cows, i think we should make ample use of hte whip (either for settlers w/IMP multipliers :yup: or bldgs). in any case, chops and whips should be used almost exclusively in teh early game for a real rapid and far-flung REX ~ like, crash our finances REX perhaps.

I could see WB > warrior > worker > WB as an early build order. as for wonders, have no preference, but since we seem anti-wonder . . .

new roster:
Mystyfly >> UP NOW and has it for wed
pholkhero >> on deck
negyvenketto
GreyFox
beserks01
pigswill

Thanks Imhotep.

Checking in.

Looks like its coast just north of the warrior, be nice to check that and also if there's any seafood up that way. Maybe move warrior NE on to the hill to see what's up there before deciding on city location.

If we're settling in place then its likely that two fish will supply enough food for starting up. Might be worth going BW and getting an early settler out if there's any copper nearby. We aren't protective so I see no real value in going for archery if we can have axes instead.

Checking in ...

the north is definitely coast. Which makes the location of the rice a bit interesting. We would however not want to move 1 tile north, since losing 1 fish and freshwater is not worth the gaining of rice. The rice would need to wait for another coastal city north.

I am not familiar with a map type called "Leader". :confused: Sounds strange ....

I would have gone BW first as well ... at least get to whip, then go for AH.

As to build, I disagree with the comment on needing only one fish. We need as much as possible to whip and grow. I might have waited until both fishes are online before going for worker. So, my build order might be WB > warrior > WB (the last two maybe swapped).

--

If we want to squeeze in a city on the north coast then another option is to go 1S which keeps river and 2 fish. It loses a turn but gives us a more viable city on the north coast.

Or we could settle in place.

Worth moving warrior NE as a first move.

With raging barbs on GW would help us more than hurt us, but I'm fine with going along with what the team decides ...

It's not that the GW isn't useful but as I see it it was built in (nearly) every AA game so it's kinda boring :goodjob:

I moved the warrior 1NE:

Definitely enought space for another nice city. The rice already feeds the gold tile so I say settle in place.

Definitely enought space for another nice city. The rice already feeds the gold tile so I say settle in place.
:yup: right on one of those desert tiles.

so, let's see where we're at, tech- and build-wise. i don't thikn we'll be making much use of the whip or chops that early, but I don't much care either way. we won't be using teh cows right away either for AH.

i agree that the Wall is played out, and would like to try without it. though, after losing emperor last game WITH it, maybe this isn't the time to try . . . :mischief:

anyway, how about: BW > Hunting > AH > Archery. I think archery is a necessity w/o the GWall since it's raging barbs. I'm not even sure we can wait that long to get it either, tbh. we'll need to have some units out and fogbusting/magnating the barbs so we can develop our interior, and the AI will have a leg up on this with their extra defensive units.

just something else to chew on . . .

build: WB > Warrior > WB at first.

It seems like teching BW > Hunting would be a good first set, i think.

Well if we get lucky with copper we don't need archery ... so the tech path should depends on presence of copper or the lack thereof.

So the north is not coast and water all the way, but gold and wine :lol: No more excuses on crappy start. :p

I don't really care if we go for GWall or not. Without Gwall simply means a slower start (we need to concentrate on defenders before settling).

--

GreyFox said:
Without Gwall simply means a slower start (we need to concentrate on defenders before settling).
Building the GW means slower start. We delay techs like the wheel, AH, myst, writing, pottery, etc by teching masonry and our settlers + defenders are online way later. Building the GW means we'll recover faster meaning we'll catch up quickly by stealing techs along the way.

Playing now. BW > Hunting will be my set, build WB > warrior > WB (as ph said). Settling in place.

Played 31 turns, 4000BC - 3225BC

(4) 3900BC
We meet QSH

(8) 3800BC
We meet Brennus

(14) 3650BC
We meet Pericles

(16) 3600BC
London: WB > Warrior

(23) 3425BC
BW > Hunting

(26) 3350BC
London: Warrior > WB

(31) 3225BC
Hunting > Archery

---

This summs up quite everything. Early rush is out, there is no copper visible yet. Initial warrior killed a lion, moved him up a hill, waiting to be woody-promoted then healed. Brennus founded Buddhism, QSH Hinduism. Second warrior doing a little expedition, will return to London soon.

I say block off QSH, leave him with little land and kill him when the time is right (maces?).

Initial warrior should go east and then south.

Roster:
Mystyfly - just played
pholkhero - UP NOW
negyvenketto - on deck
GreyFox
beserks01
Imhotep

Top Bottom