Scenario: 1940AD on GEM

Genghis_Kai

GEM modder
1940AD - World War 2
This is the thread to discuss and update anything related to the 1940AD on GEM scenario development.

Current release (Version 2.0) - Released: 17 Sep 2008
Spoiler :

1) Polish skirmisher still exist around Polish area.
2) A new player is added - the Chinese Communist! It will control the Communist ruled area in history + Sinkiang. That's a total of 9 cities and ~30 units in the scenario. The leader will be Mao. Friendly towards Russia (but remain independent), hated Chiang to the guts (same goes to Chiang) and at war with Japan. Hated by most western countries.
3) India is now fully controlled by the British. The Indian Civ is now replaced by Nepal, which control all the Himalayan cities. Nepal is neutral in the war. It controls a total of 5 cities and less than 10 units.
4) South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada are all independent states (i.e. not vassals of Britain). They are still at war with the Axis.
5) Commerce, Research, Production, Culture, Espionage and Gold are all rebalanced for better realism.
6) Germany has half of its forces situated in Poland.
7) Russia is at war with Japan.
8) Britain has no forces landed in France yet.
9) All the fascism nations now uses Free Market instead of State Property (only the 3 communist nations use this).
10) Most western countries now starts with Universal Suffrage instead of Representation.
11) Germany now owns the Mining corporation and Japan owns the Sushi corporation.
12) Switzerland is now owned by Sweden. That is to make Germany unnecessary to invade Switzerland.
13) Added city Stettin and Konigsberg in Germany.
14) Added city Vichy in France.
15) Added city Huanshang, Hanchung and Ganchow and removed city Linchuan in China.
16) Added city Gwalior and Indore and removed city Bhopal in India.
17) Changed some of the city sizes for population balance.
18) Added some defensive units in eastern Germany and western Russia.
19) Some Japanese marines now relocated to Haikow for easier invasion on Indochina.
20) Added many artillery to many nations.
21) Added two anti-tanks in Russia.
22) Added many rebellion culture to those cities that are owned by foreign nations. For example, Warsaw has minor nation's culture and Aleppo has Turkey's culture.
23) The minor nation flag will use Poland's flag (since Switzerland no longer represents minor nations).
24) The order of the scenario will be permanently arranged for multi player game.

Previous release (Version 1.3) - Released: 25 Jul 2008
Spoiler :

1) All civs now uses the correct flag.
2) Japan can get an oil from Manchuria now!
3) Japan's fleet is now the most deadly while American's fleet is now the fastest. The naval balance is now: (Britain, Japan and US starts with 4 promotions; France and Netherland starts with 1 promotion)
4) Japan's infantry in China now starts with some more promotions. Japan's Marines in Japan also get extra promotions. Added one more transport for Japan.
4) No more use enemy roads for Germany
5) France gets promoted units for defending the cities, some aircrafts have been moved to southern France.
6) Russian's tanks starts with more promotions. Russian's infantry gets some promotions too.
7) Russian's cities are now more productive
8) The entire India is now under the control of Britain and the Indian civ. Basically, the British now takes what ever was Indian's cities in v1.2 and the Indian takes what were the minor and barbarian cities in v1.2.
9) Cities of Britain and Canada are now more productive, Canada now starts with some ships and planes
10) America also get some boost in the cities which were low in production
11) More ships and units for Argentina and Chile.
12) Removed some city improvements in Africa and India.
13) Added some more units for Britain and Egypt in Africa

Previous release (Version 1.2) - Released: 10 Jul 2008
Spoiler :

1) India is now significantly reduced in power.
2) the western front army distribution has been changed.
3) modern flags borrowed “Road to War” have been incorporated.
4) added some minor religions to some American cities.
5) the diplomatic relationship setting among each state, reduced by a factor of 10. For example, Germany was -100 to Britain, now it is -10.

Previous release (Version 1.0) - Released: 15 Jun 2008
Spoiler :

This is a World War II scenario of a global scale. The scenario begins just before German is to invade Denmark, Norway, Benelux and France. At the same time, the winter war between Finland and Russia is already started. Italian is ready to join the Germans to invade France, North and East Africa. In the east, Japanese is at a stalemate with Chinese and has her eye looking further south.

The playable nations are:
Spoiler :

Germany
Italy
Britain
France
Netherland
Spain
Portugal
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Hungary
Greece
Russia

Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Iraq
Iran
India
Thailand
Mongolia
Manchuria
Japan
China

South Africa
Australia
New Zealand

America
Canada
Mexico
Colombia
Peru
Brazil
Argentina
Chile

Instruction
This scenario will come with GEM mod version 5. Only available in BTS version.

Screenshots group 1: The western front, Germany, France and Britain.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 2,627
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 2,261
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 2,025
Screenshots group 2:

Scandinavia, Italy, Winter war, Russia and Balkans.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,428
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,374
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,312
  • Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 1,399
Screenshots group 3:

Japan, coastal China, inland China, Middle east and India.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 1,253
  • Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,055
Screenshots group 4:

East coast US, West coast US, Brazil/Argentina, Australia and South Africa

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,078
Congrats, Genghis_Kai!:goodjob:

So... when will GEM 5 be available? (You have been busy!);)

Soon, say one or two weeks. :)
Only the 200BC scenario is required to finish off before the next release. There are more things I wish to do, for example, adding some customer civilizations and leaderheads. But I will do them as revision 5.1 instead.

:dance: :woohoo:

hi ,

so that should be one week now , tik tak , cant wait !

hmmmm , screenshot thread ?

have a wonderfull day :)

Did you ever come across this site? (It has separate listings for the various Axis & Allied sides, including minor countries participating plus Japan. I checked out the Soviet listings, which are subdivided into the different fronts - although only total strengths and losses are listed, without subdivisions into men and materiel.)

http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php

Did you ever come across this site? (It has separate listings for the various Axis & Allied sides, including minor countries participating plus Japan. I checked out the Soviet listings, which are subdivided into the different fronts - although only total strengths and losses are listed, without subdivisions into men and materiel.)

http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php

I haven't. But I have the scenario all set up now and so I won't change it before it is released.

I am new to this mod so if I say something stupid.. Hit me twice :crazyeye:

1. What is the point in playing countries like "South Africa or Chile "?

2. From what I can see "world builder", how can an outcome other than a US lead victory happen? Anyone have any pointers or strategies?

Any general tips would be helpful

I am new to this mod so if I say something stupid.. Hit me twice :crazyeye:

1. What is the point in playing countries like "South Africa or Chile "?

2. From what I can see "world builder", how can an outcome other than a US lead victory happen? Anyone have any pointers or strategies?

Any general tips would be helpful

Re 1: Not much point if you are not bored or you are not South African/ Chilean :lol:

Re 1: I think US is actually not that powerful in the scenario. The military it has is relatively small as compare to Germany or Russia.

I will attempt to play the Japanese this week.

Thank you for all the effort!

Re 1: Not much point if you are not bored or you are not South African/ Chilean

I don't agree! I recently played Zimbabwe on the 1500 AD map just to see how long I could survive - lasted till 1890 AD, when the Venetians declared war on me (Cavalry + Infantry vs. Impis), but I managed to be 4th in land mass at that time.

Another issue, more related to the 1940 AD Scenario: I was slightly alienated by the pink (light purple?) German armies. How about giving PLAYERCOLOR_GRAY to Germany instead of India? For all I care, India would be allright with that color, since it's very much their standard color in Civ IV, whereas gray is the standard color for Germany.

Best Regards,
Ace

I don't agree! I recently played Zimbabwe on the 1500 AD map just to see how long I could survive - lasted till 1890 AD, when the Venetians declared war on me (Cavalry + Infantry vs. Impis), but I managed to be 4th in land mass at that time.

Another issue, more related to the 1940 AD Scenario: I was slightly alienated by the pink (light purple?) German armies. How about giving PLAYERCOLOR_GRAY to Germany instead of India? For all I care, India would be allright with that color, since it's very much their standard color in Civ IV, whereas gray is the standard color for Germany.

Best Regards,
Ace

I was just joking on the issue of playing minor civs so don't take it serious :cool:. In fact, I do like playing minor civs once a while.

About player color, in fact I did a lot of work to change the player colors of the civs to make the contending civ more distinguishable. If German is to use default color gray, British territory and German's would look very similar on the map. The current setting is that Germany is middle Purple, Italy is Dark Purple, Hungary is purple and Finland is light purple nicely grouped them and appeared to be a team on the mini map. On the other hand, Britain is white and India is gray nicely resemble the British Empire on the mini map.

Thank you for the explanation, this makes perfect sense, of course. By the way, it might be a bit off-topic, but is there a list of all the available player colors? Are they limited to a certain amount of predefined values? Or can they even be specified in RGB values?

Maybe if I knew about that, I could experiment a bit with other possible combinations of colors, to keep "teams" distinguishable and at the same time keep some colors (like the Germans') that feel more "natural" to me.

Best Regards,
Ace

About player color, in fact I did a lot of work to change the player colors of the civs to make the contending civ more distinguishable. If German is to use default color gray, British territory and German's would look very similar on the map. The current setting is that Germany is middle Purple, Italy is Dark Purple, Hungary is purple and Finland is light purple nicely grouped them and appeared to be a team on the mini map. On the other hand, Britain is white and India is gray nicely resemble the British Empire on the mini map.

Couldn't agree more.

Another thing though: India was still very British in 1940 (I believe it was a Crown Colony to be exact, and certainly not a Dominion like Australia or Canada - and although Gandhi was a very famous Indian, he never actually led the nation as president, premier or anything after independence in 1947).

Top Bottom