• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What IS Nerve Stapling

Jackrabbit

Chieftain
I have a question though that was bugging me for quite some time.

What really is Nerve Stapling? Could it be some kind of torture to keep citizens in line, maybe some form of mind control or perhaps something far more literal like a stapler to the spinal cord.

According to the GURPS Alpha Centauri roleplaying game:

Nerve Stapler (TLS(P)): A
device originally designed for
psychotherapy, but often
applied on both Earth and
Planet to deal with social
dissension. When strapped to a
patient's head and upper back, the
nerve stapler extrudes hair-fine
probes into his brain and spinal column.
A psychotherapist can then use
the device to inflict extreme sensations
(not necessarily pain) on the
patient, subjecting him to a rapid
course of psychological conditioning.
The patient must make a Will roll
every hour that he is under the nerve
stapler, or he will acquire the Nerve
Stapled disadvantage (p. 89). A nerve
stapler can also be used as a torture
device when applying the
Interrogation skill (p. B66).

I figure it's the same as stomach stapling in which staples are applied to the nerves to prevent nonconforming thoughts.

If you've been surfing the SMAC sub forum recently, I've started a new story about the game (posts will be in valve time.) I describe it as an electric stud stapled into the spine that makes the brain think that it is in serious pain.

If you've been surfing the SMAC sub forum recently, I've started a new story about the game (posts will be in valve time.) I describe it as an electric stud stapled into the spine that makes the brain think that it is in serious pain.

I think you are right. I think the nerve staple directly stimulates pain. When a citizen is merely nerve stapled he become remotely controllable.

When placed in a punishment sphere he is nerve stapled but constantly stimulated while propped up publicly.

some suggest that the machine at the beginning of the Virtual World cinematic is a nerve stapler, or a punishment sphere...

I am almost certain it is just virtual world simulator. I am pretty certain the nerve staple is a small implant, and I *believe* the punishment sphere is what the faction leaders are placed in after being conquered. Hence their relentless screaming.

I am almost certain it is just virtual world simulator. I am pretty certain the nerve staple is a small implant, and I *believe* the punishment sphere is what the faction leaders are placed in after being conquered. Hence their relentless screaming.[/QUOTE]

thats what i think too.

Top Bottom