I love asphalt! (or the case for Modern Roads in BTS 3.17)

Aristos

Lightseeker
I know there is some debate as to whether the "change" in the appearance of roads in the Modern Era is a bug or an intentional feature in BTS 3.17.

Whatever the reason is, the truth is that ancient dirty roads in the Modern Era is as ugly as it can be. It even reminds me of my former third world country :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, for those of you who just want to see the modern roads without confusing them with the railtracks:

Replace Civ4RouteModelInfos.xml in your assets folder (work of another guy) and mod_roads.dds (my contribution).

Enjoy modern roads!

Interesting, could you post a screenshot before I do any modding? I dont have any mods installed and am a little wary, since I'm not computer-saavy.... In fact, I am gathering courage to install 3.17.
Out of curiosity, from where do you originally come?

Yes, a screenshot would be nice please.

This is looking very nice, but could you please be a bit more specific about which files to overwrite?

You don't need to overwrite any file, mysty. Just drop them in the corresponding folders in costumassets ( atleast for the XML .... haven't check the rar yet)

Moderator Action: Moved to the Graphics Modpacks forum, since that is really where it belongs. I left a redirect though.

They do look well-defined and more clear than the normal ones.

Love the new roads, they look better AND I don't have to zoom in to differentiate them from railroads. :goodjob:

Out of curiosity, from where do you originally come?

:mischief::mischief:

:blush:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You know, I don't even blame you for not knowing where it is. Yes, I already know that you don't. And I repeat: I don't blame you.

The name of the country (I think it's still there, but not for much...) is Paraguay.

Told you!

Anyways, I'm here now. Glad you enjoy the little contribution.

My eyes thank you, ricardojones!

I have packaged the two files up into a single ZIP with the correct directory structure. Simply unzip the archive and copy-and-paste the folders "Art" and "XML" inside to "My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets". Say "Yes to All" when asked to replace files. It won't actually replace any files, but the folder structure is the same, so it thinks it will.

The name of the country (I think it's still there, but not for much...) is Paraguay.

I live in Edmonton and the team leader for a project I'm contracted to is from Paraguay. He moved to Canada 30 years ago, though, but still gets back on rare occasion.

Great. I wasn't happy with the roads at all and I never had trouble telling roads for rails. I've been thinking, what graphics settings is everyone using. Mine tend to be low, so maybe high detail terrain makes them look more similar at a distance.

Could be, I use High Detail across the board, plus most of Blue Marble. I did disable Blue Marble's clouds & railroad modifications. I believe I loaded the low-res textures for BM.

I use high detail textures also. I haven't installed BM since I've been doing BUG because I routinely ditch my CustomAssets folder to make sure I'm starting fresh. The main thing for me is that I have poor vision, and color differences are far easier for me to see even if I can't clearly see details.

@EF I do that too, ditching CustomAssets...
But what I do to start with, is Install BlueMarble
and then copy/paste CustomAssets, rename the pasted folder:
CustomAssets_BM
Then when I install Bug Fresh, I just copy the contents of CustomAssets_BM into it :)

no, the problem is not with Blue Marble. The original modern roads were made modelling concrete roads, which are naturally greyish. As soon as I opened the dds file with Gimp, I could see the grey pattern they use. Of course, that grey is easily confused with the railtracks when you start to zoom out.

The best way to go, therefore, is to model asphalt roads. When zoomed put, you get the same effects as with the unpaved roads in terms of visibility, but consistent with technological advance.

Sometimes I wonder how those little thingies got through the initial testing... :mischief:

Hey, EF, maybe you should ad it to BUG.

Hey, EF, maybe you should ad it to BUG.

Alerum and I were discussing this very thing last night. It will definitely go into BAT which has been where we have been sticking graphic mods so far. However, I consider this such a must have mod that I may go ahead and put it into BUG. It is, after all, somewhat interface-related. ;)

Top Bottom