Qu01 (.5) No Buildings [3.17 + Solver's]

Quotey

Emperor
Put 3.17 in the title just incase, and I'm using Solver's patch but I don't really care if you do. I also use the BUG mod, but I'm willing to give it up if the only people who want to play dislike it.

My last SG was a flop due to noone caring about the variant and me choosing the wrong map (but I've said that). Since I'm in one (ruff_07, fairly boring and very quick) and a dead/dying one (PFS02), I want to start another.

Will roll up a start later today if I get 3 players.

Basically, NO BUILDINGS. EVER. NOTHING IN THE LEFT COLUMN. This variant may have been done before. It also entails a lot of war because of our masses units and razing every city so TARGETED VICTORY IS CONQUEST.

This pretty much requires a creative leader. I suggest Kublai Khan (AGG/CRE- extra promo), Catherine (CRE/IMP- GGs?) or modding in CRE/CHA. No barracks so I support CRE/CHA.

LEADER: TBD (Kublai or CRE/CHA???)
MAP: Pangaea, Low sea level (with 2 extra opponents)
DIFFICULTY/SPEED: Monarch (open to debate), Epic
OPTIONS: AggAI, Choose Religions, No Vassal States
SUGGESTED VC: Conquest
VARIANT: No buildings at all, including wonders and certain projects (projects we may build are the Apollo Programme and spaceship parts, if this is succesful on monarch AND emperor I might do a space race one).

Roster:

Quotey
mystyfly
DMOC
Atropos
Diamondeye

Anyone who wants to lurk can chime it. Infact please do.

Spoiler DM SG Etiquette :
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win. Remember, your report should be a new reply to alert other players.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great (war declarations, birth of Great People, even some quests), players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude. See any SG I or other DMers have been in to see what I mean.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Just press enter for 15 turns. Is that so hard?

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it.

I'd be willing to join if we get a team together. I myself really don't like buildings and tend to build units instead :hammer:

To make this a bit easier I suggest Aggressive AI. Not sure about Monarch, should be doable, but please consider that we can only build units until Alphabet and I expect unit upkeep to skyrocket - let's keep an eye open for gold/gems.

RE Settings:

Do you intend to pick the opponents? Having a mix of whimps/wonderwhores and warmongers can lead to huge, nearly unbeatable civs. Also I'd like to play with vassal states disabled, to avoid Juggernauts and to make warring a bit harder.

Quotey said:
VARIANT: No buildings at all, including wonders and certain projects.
Be more precise please.

RE Leader:
I think Cre is a given. Other than that, I see Agg, Imp, Cha, Fin (we need some way of maintaining research and avoid strike). That makes Kublai, Cathy, -none so far-, Willem. I don't like modding in cre/cha. Cathy would be nice, as is Kublai, even though his UU is limited useful. Willem's UU isn't that hot either.
I say we use Cathy, KK or willem. If the others want to mod in cre/cha, fine.

Decided on game speed yet? epic?

Added speed, and projects we can build (the game isn't going to get that far though). AggAI is a real good idea.

On the difficulty, I chose Monarch because Prince does not work for this- AI starts with warriors on Prince, and disregarding that it's a mind numbingly easy level for me.

Oh, and you mentioned alphabet- this and currency should be our early game goals. Luckily, you can go to currency through alphabet! Then millitary techs all the way. We should also get into caste system to run scientists- slavery is MUCH less appealing for no buildings.

e: TLO- yes, it's just no buildings. I am unsure if we will do a lot of research or wealth building, but it is an option. Signing up? :)

Oh, and Wull is one I didn't think of. Certainly one to consider though- in the early game, FIN will give us a boost close to that of libraries.

Quotey said:
On the difficulty, I chose Monarch because Prince does not work for this- AI starts with warriors on Prince, and disregarding that it's a mind numbingly easy level for me.
OK, Monarch is fine with me.

TheLastOne36 said:
Interesting. Are you aloud to work Gold, Research etc.?
I believe so, we're merely forbidden to build buildings. Are you on board?

Quotey said:
Oh, and you mentioned alphabet- this and currency should be our early game goals. Luckily, you can go to currency through alphabet! Then millitary techs all the way. We should also get into caste system to run scientists- slavery is MUCH less appealing for no buildings.
:agree:

BTW solver's most recent version of the legendary "BTS 3.1X Unoficial patch" is v.0.19

nah i have a problrm with my Civ 4 Game. It has incredibaly slow speed. Not sure why. It happened after i was fidling with the files and changed Stalins diplo music. I think i'm going to re-install. Untill then, it's a no, after that, i'm not sure.

I would like to register (it would be my first successiong game). I just have one question.

I can play a game from a save that has solver's unofficial even though I haven't yet downloaded it, right? (For my own reasons.)

I normally play on epic speed and emp/immortal difficulty if that matters.

And my vote would be Willem.

I guess if you don't want to use Solver's it's fine. First SG, you know how everything works? 24 hours to post a got it, 48 after the got it to play. Also, read through the DM SG Etiquette and occasionally remember it:

Spoiler :
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win. Remember, your report should be a new reply to alert other players.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great (war declarations, birth of Great People, even some quests), players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude. See any SG I or other DMers have been in to see what I mean.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Just press enter for 15 turns. Is that so hard?

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it.

If noone else signs up by the next time mystyfly rears his ugly head, I might just start as Willem (myst- please say if you object).

:wavey:

Willem is fine for me, I also suggested him. It'll be a bit easier avoiding strikes and such with him than with, say KK.

@DMOC: Hi there! Apart from what ugly Quotey said about SGs, (punctuality rocks!, and the etiquette), most important is discussion. You don't have to open every save posted here and spend hours trying to find things to improve, but generally, you should post advice/strategy/rants about the sets already played or about to be played. For me SGs are great to improve my skills. One way are those whacky variant rules (no cottages (wow, that's new oO), no whipping, no buildings, etc) and another way is the discussion. Through discussing, other players can point out things that you do wrong/could be done better and you get more insight in the strategy you're currently using (in case you're not used to it).

@Quotey: Are we playing fixed round lenghts (15 turns each) or up to a "natural stopping point"?

We have a 3man roster atm, right? So I'd let 1-2 other players join as well if there's interest.

And please roll gold/gems/silver in capital bfc or at least coastal :please:

:wavey:

Willem is fine for me, I also suggested him. It'll be a bit easier avoiding strikes and such with him than with, say KK.

@DMOC: Hi there! Apart from what ugly Quotey said about SGs, (punctuality rocks!, and the etiquette), most important is discussion. You don't have to open every save posted here and spend hours trying to find things to improve, but generally, you should post advice/strategy/rants about the sets already played or about to be played. For me SGs are great to improve my skills. One way are those whacky variant rules (no cottages (wow, that's new oO), no whipping, no buildings, etc) and another way is the discussion. Through discussing, other players can point out things that you do wrong/could be done better and you get more insight in the strategy you're currently using (in case you're not used to it).

@Quotey: Are we playing fixed round lenghts (15 turns each) or up to a "natural stopping point"?

We have a 3man roster atm, right? So I'd let 1-2 other players join as well if there's interest.

And please roll gold/gems/silver in capital bfc or at least coastal :please:

Don't worry, I have read many succession games before. :goodjob:

Oh yeah, how many turns should we play? Fixed or natural stopping point?

Amen!

Thrash talking between friends is great for lurking too hehe. Just make sure people understand one isn;t serious.:D

Cheers!
-Liq

mystyfly- Go Andrew Murray and Germany!

I think FIXED will work best for this. 20 for the first rotation then 15 thereafter.

I rolled up some Willem starts to stew over while waiting for one more player. (Monarch/Epic; Pangaea Low Sea Level Random Climate; +AggAI, Choose Religions, No Vassal States).

1:

I dislike this one, and it looks like Cold climate. It looks like 1 tile off sea.

2:

Looks good to me.

3:

Wow. This is the one. I don't know why I even posted the other two.

Attachments

• Qu01.5 No Buildings save1 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    27.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Qu01.5 No Buildings save2 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    27.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Qu01.5 No Buildings save3 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    27.6 KB · Views: 227
#1 looks good to me.

#2 As well, nice production, but too many water tiles for my taste.

#3 A bit too much unhealthiness from FPs but OK. Let's hope for a forest spread on the deer tile. No real food resource so rather slow regrowing after :whipped:. Decent production.

---

#3 seems like the strongest start but I'm fine with either of these.

Well with no buildings those FP's in 3 are really going to haunt you with their:yuck:. Financial though makes that place cottage cheese land, as opposed to gp farm (due to the lower population cap) so it's a clear winner given Oranje.

As for food for the whip, a farmed fp is better than the poor excuse of a rice with no fresh water so could consider that a row of 4 rice and things look better :lol:

No lighthouses means water tiles are always going to be sub par so meh, 2 is trash imo.

1 doesn;t look that good as it's definitely got ocean to the south and east.

Interesting variant :goodjob:

Cheers!
-Liq

I don't think we have to raze cities simply because they have buildings. BTW I'm already looking foreward to maintenance - 8gpt in every city will hurt like hell. Probabely delay our conquests until later and constantly build wealth / resarch :lol:

Top Bottom