Asien Galleon

The_Coyote

Emperor
next model after some time :)

freely modeled after the pics here in the forum,

the model has 913 vertices, 737 triangles, there is a
fx and a non fx version (the release version is the fx, the non fx has still some problems with the skin)
256 skin, 128 gloss texture (for the fx)

and again i don´t like my wood structure :(
(so feel free to give it a new skin)

uses the same animation like the Galleon
scale for picture: same as Galleon

the cannon is lend from the firaxis frigate

Dl: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10210

Ciao
The_Coyote

Edit: version 2 uploaded, new nif included taking the wind from the same side like the other asien ships [sorry my fault, was a bad captain on board, so give the first version a -2 movement], the old version still included (suffix "_right"). Also added the both great skin from C.Roland and Wolfshanze (to both: thank you very much for giving this little ship a proper skin!)

Attachments

• Asien_Galleon.jpg
    Asien_Galleon.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 698
next model after some time :)

freely modeled after the pics here in the forum,

and again i don´t like my wood structure :(
(so feel free to give it a new skin)
Very nice... maybe I'll see what I can do with the skin. I've had some luck with ship skins, but I'll have to see how the texture file is laid-out.

Excellent model Coyote! :goodjob:

Okay, I'm looking it over... the first thing I noticed, is that while the model itself is very nice, it seems to be "tacking wind" opposite of it's contemporary ships. Stand-alone, all by it's lonesome, the ship looks great... but if you're like me (and I'm sure lots of other folks will do the same) and you put this as part of an asian ship pack, along with the asian caravel and war junks (large and small, which are usually used as replacements for the asian frigate and SotL), then this new Asian Galleon seems to be tacking wind opposite of his similar age buddies!

Take a look:

This may sound like an odd request, but do you think it might be possible to reverse the 45-degree angle of the sails so that they are tacking wind at the same angle as the other asian ships of the same time-frame? I think it looks really odd that three of four asian ships are tacking wind one way, and this galleon is tacking it the other way.

I've made a little reskin. Nothing really pretty, it's only to make the skin match with the other asian ship of the set.

Attachments

• asiengalleon.zip
    353.2 KB · Views: 133
  • reskin.jpg
    reskin.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 203
Okay... Roland beat me to the punch... I had already redone the hull completely and was about to redo the sails (didn't like them either) when I checked here and saw Roland had redone the whole thing... oh well... I "borrowed" Rolands sails and... well... here's what I had done... the hull is all-new based on Coyote's original design work with all new wood textures... sails from Roland (I was going to redo them on my own, but why waste the effort... Rolands are fine!).

Here's my reskin:

Attachments

• ZhengHe.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 97
@ C.Roland and Wolfshanze

Thank you very much, i really like both reskins! :)

@ all

version 2 uploaded, including the two great skin and also a new nif which no longer has a drunken captain (sails have the same orientation like the other asien ships, old version has suffix "_right"). Both nifs use the same texture.

Attachments

• AG_big_2.jpg
    AG_big_2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 132
Okay thanks guys... I've updated my own mini-download with the new NIFs...

Oh... and please update your download... I accidentally put Roland's Gloss file in with mine... but I should be using the original Gloss file with my reskin.

I'll put all these options with the Asian Fleet thread too.

Hey, I made two more skins - mostly to use this great model in my mod - but if anyone else wants them, here they are:

Download

(Some of the wood is edited from a skin graphic made by Chuggi, the rest is either left alone, made by me, or edited from the Warlords Junk graphic)

Ask and ye shall receive Coyote...

I think the grid pattern has to go personally.
Well, the "grid pattern" is more or less accurate for the time-period the model represents... 1400-1500 or so... not a modern junk sail... I believe there are source pictures that would back that up.

I was personally going to go with a Kobukson-style sail... which is roughly from the same era... but I'm also okay with the one I put on my reskin.

Well, the "grid pattern" is more or less accurate for the time-period the model represents... 1400-1500 or so... not a modern junk sail... I believe there are source pictures that would back that up.

I was personally going to go with a Kobukson-style sail... which is roughly from the same era... but I'm also okay with the one I put on my reskin.

Well, it seems like some pics have horizontal structure without the vertical. Others show it with the vertical.

Regardless of which you go with, I think it needs to be tuned down a little bit. The brown is too stark against the lighter sail background, and the lines on ALL of the sample pics I've seen are a bit more subtle than the skins presented so far. It just looks less like a sail to me and more like a picnic blanket as is...

I'm working on a possible alternative using the full power of my official Photoshop training! :scan:

Top Bottom