RoM optimized

ADP101

Warlord
Hey i recently started playing RoM, and it is an AMAZING MOD!! For the first time, im in the 1800s WHILE in the industrial age not the modern! thats awsome lol.

But when i get to around 1800 the time it takes for me to get to the next turn is 1-3 minutes. is that me or is that a bit to much time :confused:

i have 3 gigs of ram, pentium 4 processor, and ati x300 graphics card, which are are above recommended things to have i think, how can i make RoM faster?

It's an old problem with all the civ games. Once you get into the later stages of the game there's a lot more info that needs to be calculated so the game starts to slow down a lot. There really isn't much that you can do about it except play on smaller maps with less civilizations.

PS. If it's running this slowly now you may start experiancing some crashes due to not having enough RAM if your on the maps that are larger than huge.

zappara,

Any chance that 2.3 could have an optimization patch?

Please?!

JosEPh :)

You can really do these optimizations yourself.
Simply go to your python folder, and search for the phrase "import pickle"
and change that phrase into "import cPickle as pickle".

Thats it. If I recall it right it was only 3 or 4 files that had the phrase in them. Anyhow its nothing special, but you notice the difference. In midgame the time to do my turn changed from 18 seconds to 14 seconds. Just by changing that line.

I actually went into the BtS Python files and RoM Python files and any .py file that had an "import" section I added the line: import cPickle as pickle.

My RoM2.3 game that is in the late 1700's did process each turn better. I was also experiencing *lag* when giving Privateer's and Frigates orders or when scrolling around the map. This cut the lag down but did not eliminate it totally. Still not being a Modder (for this game anyway) of python or XML it has helped.

I'm hopeing to get musicfreak to respond to which BtS files are the most critical for this "Fix".

And I was asking zappara because he knows this Mods inner working far better than I ever will.

JosEPh

Update: musicfreak said it was only needed in Python files that use pickle.

I've put the line in the core CIV IV/ BtS/ Rom python files that had an import section. I wouldn't know how to find pickle in any of those files. So I just covered all bases. Seems CiV IV core never used pickle so that was a wasted effort there. I'll go back and remove those.

Now Zappara, which RoM2.3 python files use pickle? You should hopefully know.

JosEPh

Now Zappara, which RoM2.3 python files use pickle? You should hopefully know.
There's about half dozen python files that use pickle functions, most of the files are part of the Revolution mod component. I use program called 'Windows GREP' when I want to find certain strings from bunch of files - with it, it was easy to locate all those "import pickle" lines and replace them with optimized lines.

Is "Windows GREP" a free program?

Guess I need to Google it.

And since I don't use the Rev Mod that should narrow down the files abit.

I tried the Rev Mod by itsself awhile back and I found it too hard for my style of play. I'm sure it's a good mod and all but I just didn't like it or it's feel. Pop revolts Way too easy and for way too many reasons for my taste. A scaled down version I could learn to handle I suppose.

So anyway, if we want to use the "pickle" we need to do it on our own then. No patch with it incorporated then,........okay. :/

JosEPh

Top Bottom