UKNESIV - Global Destiny

uknemesis

The Nemesis
The year is 2002. The United States has been attacked by terrorists, and has freed Afghanistan from the Taliban, but has not yet found U(O)sama Bin Laden.

Where is he? Which world leaders support him, to hide him from view? Is he dead already?

Nobody has any answers, but all have questions.

As the United States becomes paranoid and begins to strike nations it fears may harbour terrorists, political revolts occur in Britain due to her backing of the US, Russia moves closer to becoming Communist once more, and China appears on the verge of invading Taiwan, many fear a world war.

Or worse, a nuclear war.

Nuclear weapons are still as deadly as ever, and many are missing. Some may have fallen into the wrong hands, unleashing a nuclear fury over the world.

Only the world leaders can stop Armageddon, but will they? Or will they move the world closer to the brink of disaster?

Btw, that stuff is just to get you hooked, you don't have to play the characters from the scene setter since you will be a new ruler.

Here is a link to the world map which you can use for getting the names of countries. I will be using a smaller map to show political changes(invading of nations mostly), and it will be updated once a week most likely:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world_maps/world.jpg

Btw, that is not my map or site.

Right, now we get to the good bits.

Combat will be moderated by me, since I'm not playing. It's not going to be the random roll the dice rubbish, I'm going to actually work out the combat(don't worry, I'm not going to be defence biased, or offence biased, I will just do an honest job of it).

Neutral nations WILL have their own armies, which I will work out when you attack them(I'm not going to bother keeping track of all those armies, but I will work out how many troops they have based on how many turns they've been alive and how much they are worth, just like you do).

Land units can move ONE country per turn. A turn is one day. For each turn, you get the number of credits(see above) for each nation, plus 3 credits extra per factory you have.

Sea units can move ONE ocean per turn, and air units can move TWO countries per turn, or ONE ocean per turn(must move from a country, through an ocean straight to another country, can't stay over the ocean without an aircraft carrier).

That means a land unit can move to a neighbouring country in one turn, a sea unit can move to a neighbouring ocean in one turn, and an air unit can move two countries in one turn, or cross the ocean straight to another country in one turn.

Once you have picked a nation, YOU MUST OPEN A NEW THREAD, WITH THE TITLE BEING THE NAME OF THAT NATION.

In this thread you must post your income, your buys each turn(basically update it every turn) and your units and buildings and their locations and orders.

See this forum for a game like this that is currently running:

http://eurofine.com/cg/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=57

Especially see the Brazil thread for my nation, which is an example of what yours could look like(don't worry about the Satellites etc stuff, just put things relevant to this game). Except you don't need to put a newspaper if you don't want to, and a map and flag aren't required(see http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html for flags and maps of countries).

Now, unlike that game, you don't HAVE to post your buys in this thread, but you MUST post attack orders here, and I will post the result as soon as I can.

You begin with the amount of credits that your country is worth.

Here is the units and buildings list(cost is in brackets):

EACH NATION HAS A UNIQUE UNIT, WHICH REPLACES ONE OF THESE. WHEN YOU SAY WHAT NATION YOU ARE, I WILL TELL YOU YOUR UNIQUE UNIT.

Infantry Division(3 credits)
Good in defence, poor in attack. The basic infantry unit, with trucks and support units.

Mechanised Infantry Division(5 credits)
Excellent in defence, okay in attack. Better infantry unit, equipped with armoured personnel carriers. Include support units.

Armoured Division(7 credits)
Excellent in attack, poor in defence. The basic tank unit, with support units.

Artillery Division(3 credits)
Poor in defence and attack, but can bombard neighbouring nations(including when you're attacking them), and defend against air attacks. Includes support units.

Special Forces Division(10 credits)
Good in attack and defence, can attack factories in secret missions(must be PMed to me), with a risk of being caught(nationality only revealed if caught). Includes support units.

Fighter Squadron(7 credits)
Your basic fighter squadron, including support units. Excellent in defence, okay in attack. Examples include the F-22 and the F-15.

Close Air Support Squadron(5 credits)
Provides air support to your land forces, and includes support units. Poor in defence, but good in attack. Excellent against land units. Examples include the F-16 and the A-10.

Naval Air Wing(10 credits)
Can be based on aircraft carriers or land. The only unit able to be based on aircraft carriers(the other air units must cross the ocean straight away, and can't land on carriers). Good in defence and attack. Examples include the Harrier and the F-14. Comes with support units.

Gunship Squadron(5 credits)
Your basic attack helicopter unit, supports land units or attacks targets. Okay in defence and attack. Comes with support units. Examples include the Apache, the Comanche and the Hind.

Bomber Squadron(12 credits)
Your basic bomber squadron, comes with support units. Can carry 1 tactical nuke. Good in attack on ground and sea targets, poor against aircraft and defending. Can bombard. The main example is the B-52.

Stealth Bomber Squadron(15 credits)
Can only be hit by air units. Excellent against ground targets, poor against sea and air targets. Also poor in defending. Includes support units. Examples include the F-117 and the B-2. Can carry 1 tactical nuke.

Stealth Fighter Squadron(10 credits)
Is a true stealth fighter, unlike the F-117. Can only be hit by air units, and includes support units. Good in attack, excellent in defence. The best example is the F-19.

Aeroplane Transport Squadron(7 credits)
Can transport 3 divisions, and then move them using the air units movement rules. Transporting is the only way land units can move across the ocean. Poor in attack and defence. Includes support units.

Transport Fleet(10 credits)
Can carry 5 divisions. Poor in attack and defence. Includes support units.

Helicopter Transport Squadron(5 credits)
Can transport 1 division, moving the same as the aeroplane transport squadron. Poor in attack and defence. Includes support units, and the best example is the Chinook.

Aircraft Carrier(25 credits)
Can be used a base by naval aircraft wings. Is empty to begin with. It can carry three naval aircraft wings. Poor in attack, good in defence.

Aegis Cruiser(15 credits)
Can shoot down incoming missiles that may hit the fleet. Okay in attack, good in defence. Excellent against air units.

Destroyer(12 credits)
Good in attack, okay in defence, good against air units. Carries Tomahawk cruise missiles and Harpoons.

Frigate(10 credits)
Poor in attack, good in defence, excellent against submarine units.

Corvette(5 credits)
Okay against all units.

Missile submarine(10 credits)
Can carry 2 tactical nukes(must be bought) and Tomahawk cruise missiles. Poor in defence and attack.

Attack submarine(5 credits)
Carries torpedoes and Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Good in attack and defence.

Nuclear submarine(15 credits)
Can carry 1 tactical nuke(must be bought), Tomahawk cruise missiles, Harpoon anti-ship missiles and torpedoes. Good in attack, excellent in defence.

ICBM bunker(50 credits)
Can hold and fire up to four ICBMs at a time(must be bought).

Anti-missile system(25 credits)
Has a good chance of shooting down incoming ICBMs and tactical nukes in the province it is built.

Factory(Your income per turn + 3 credits)
Factories cost what you make per turn(doesn't include banked money) and increase your income by 3 credits. You may have more than one per country.

Tactical nuke(10 credits)
Can only be moved on units which can carry it. Can only hit countries next to the ocean that the submarine is in, or the one that the bomber drops it in. See below for details of what nukes do.

ICBM(25 credits)
Can hit any country in the world. Must be in an ICBM bunker. See below for nuke rules.

Nuclear missiles
Nuclear missiles, if they hit successfully, destroy all factories in the country they hit, and reduce its income by 1 to 3 credits(for a tactical nuke) and 1 to 5 credits for an ICBM. You may also aim nukes at armies, fleets or air bases, in the hope of destroying enemy forces. The amount of damage done depends on many factors.

Right, here is the list of nations, in order of how many credits they are worth to begin with(you may choose any to rule, but I suggest only taking those in the 5 credit section, or the 4 credit section at the least):
American Samoa
Andorra
Anguilla
Antigua & Barbuda
Ashmore and Cartier
Aruba
Baker Island
Barbados
Bassas da India
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bouvet Island
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Burundi
Canary Islands
Cape Verde
Cayman Islands
Christmas Island
Clipperton Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Coral Sea Islands
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Southern and Artic Lands
Gibraltar
Glorioso Islands
Greenland
Guernsey
Hawaiin Islands
Heard Island & McDonald Islands
Holy See (Vatican City)
Howland Island
Jan Mayen
Jarvis Island
Jersey
Johnston Atoll
Juan de Nova Island
Kingman Reef
Kiribati
Maldives
Malta
Man, Isle of
Marshall Islands
Martinique
Mauritius
Mayotte
Micronesia, Federated States of
Midway Islands
Moldova
Monaco
Monserrat
Nauru
Navassa Island
Nepal
Netherlands Antilles
New Caledonia
Niue
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands
Palau
Palmyra Atoll
Paracel Islands
Pitcairn Islands
Reunion
Saint Helena
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Saint Vincent & the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
São Tomé & Príncipe
Solomon Islands(OWNED BY AUSTRALIA)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Spratly Islands
Svalbard
Togo
Tokelau
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tromelin Island
Turkmenistan
Turks and Caicos Islands
Tuvalu
Uganda
Vanuatu
Virgin Islands
Wake Island
Wallis and Futuna
Western Sahara

Afghanistan
Albania
Angola
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahamas, The
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Belize
Benin
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana(OWNED BY SOUTH AFRICA)
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burma
Cambodia(OWNED BY CHINA)
Cameroon
Central Africa Republic
Chad
Chile
Comoros
Congo, Democratic Republic of
Congo, Republic of
Costa Rica
Côte d'Ivoire
Cyprus
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Estonia
Ethiopia
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Faroe Islands
Gabon
Gambia, The
Georgia(OWNED BY TURKEY)
Ghana
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Guam
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Laos(OWNED BY CHINA)
Latvia
Lebanon(OWNED BY SYRIA)
Lesotho(OWNED BY SOUTH AFRICA)
Liberia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania(OWNED BY POLAND)
Luxembourg Macau
Macedonia, FYOM
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mongolia
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nicaragua
Niger
Oman(OWNED BY THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES)
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Rwanda
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Slovakia
Slovenia
Somalia
Sri Lanka
Suriname
Swaziland(OWNED BY SOUTH AFRICA)
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam(OWNED BY CHINA)
Yemen
Yugoslavia
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Algeria
Alaska
Belarus
Colombia
Croatia
Cuba
Ecuador
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Jamaica
Kenya
Korea, North
Libya
Malaysia
New Zealand
Nigeria
Romania
Singapore
Sudan
Syria [TOASTY]
Thailand
Tunisia

Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
Denmark
Egypt
Finland
Greece
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ireland(OWNED BY BRITAIN)
Kuwait
Netherlands
Portugal
Saudi Arabia
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Arab Emirates [.:KNAS:.]

Argentina
Australia [DEMETRIAS]
Brazil
Britain [JASON THE KING]
Canada(OWNED BY THE UNITED STATES)
China [EREZ87]
India
Italy [ICE-EYE]
Israel
France
Germany
Japan
Korea, South
Mexico
Norway [TRADER/WARRIOR]
Pakistan
Poland [SKILORD]
Russia [OBSESSED NUKER]
South Africa [KENNELLY]
Spain
Sweden
Turkey [DEXTER]
Ukraine
United States [RODDYVR]

Have fun! Any questions, just ask!

Nemesis

UNIQUE UNITS

America - Supercarrier
Replaces the aircraft carrier. Costs only 20 credits, and carries 5 wings instead of 3.

Britain - SAS Regiment
Replaces the special forces division. Because one SAS regiment can do the same as one special forces division, it costs only 7 credits. Due to its smaller size, it only counts as half a division for transport purposes.

Australia - Vanguard Submarine
Replaces nuclear submarine, and carries one more tactical nuke(making it 2 in total) and costs only 12 credits.

Syria - Fanatic
Costs 3 credits. Is basically a suicide bomber, which can attack enemy units and often take out at least one with its explosion, which kills it. Can also attack factories like special forces can, but attacks it suicidally.

Russia - T-80 Division
Replaces the Armoured Division. Is exactly the same, but is better in defence that the Armoured Division. Costs just 5 credits.

United Arab Emirates - Fanatic
Costs 3 credits. Is basically a suicide bomber, which can attack enemy units and often take out at least one with its explosion, which kills it. Can also attack factories like special forces can, but attacks it suicidally.

Poland - Hind Squadron
Replaces the Gunship Squadron. Excellent in attack(the Gunship is only good in attack) and okay in defence, these are powerful all rounders. However, being helicopters, just like other air units they cannot take territory, so must be supported by infantry or other ground units. Costs just 3 credits.

Turkey - Killer Submarine
Replaces the attack submarine. Costs just 3 credits and carries Tomahawks in addition to its usual Harpoons and torpedoes.

Norway - Coastal Patrol
Replaces the corvette. Is okay against all units, and excellent against transports(as it carries torpedoes). Costs just 3 credits.

China - Red Infantry
Replaces normal infantry, but isn't quite as well trained. Costs just 2 credits.

South Africa - Armed Helicopter Transport Squadron
Replaces the Helicopter Transport Squadron. Costs just 3 credits, and can defend itself, unlike normal transports.

Italy - Amphibious Assault Submarine
Replaces the attack submarine. Costs 5 credits, as normal, but can carry one land unit, and fire Tomahawk cruise missiles.

Whenever you have time, try and create your nation's thread(see the rules, each nation has it's own thread).

The NES will start now as it is past midnight GMT, as midnight GMT signals the end of one turn and the beginning of another.

So let the first turn begin, you have 5 credits to spend.

If someone joins after Turn 1 has ended, they get however much their nation would have got for the turns they have missed(don't worry, they'll still miss out a bit cause they won't have other nations and factories).

Oh, and there is no banking limit, and no upkeep.

Finally, units are built in your capital country, or in a factory if you own one in another country. From there they can move straight away(sea units are build in the ocean next to your capital. If your capital is landlocked, then you cannot build sea units until you have a factory near an ocean).

Oceans count as all the little rivers, gulfs and other bits which lead off of them as well.

Don't forget to make your nation threads, if you can't be bothered to do much, just put the game info, no frills such as maps, flags or newspapers are really needed, unless you want to.

And don't try cheating on your buying or moving, cause I will be checking out the nation threads!

One last thing, if you don't have your nation thread made within 3 days(turns) of joining, I'll clear your nation for someone else to play, and delete you from the NES(you can sign up again as someone else, but the same will happen if you don't make your thread).

Nemesis

PS: Remember to keep your thread updated quite regularly, and to tell me if you're going on holiday.

ill join as the US.

toasty, you gonna get squashed if someone takes Turkey on the first turn. :lol:

ok so i got a question already.

you say that factories cost whatever you are making a turn.
is that what your WHOLE empire is making? or just the province you are building the factory in? or the amount of the starting catagory that your country is in (5 for us, 3 for syria...)???

That's whatever you're making in a turn, plus 3. This is to prevent people building loads of factories to increase their income.

And I'll update the list now to show the names of those who've joined(Roddy, with the detail you put into your orders etc, I think you're going to love having your own thread to perfect lol).

Finally, if someone dies they're allowed to come back as another nation.

Nemesis

Oh, one last thing. Total income only means the income you're getting from your empire, it doesn't include banked money.

You may only build one factory per turn.

As for the list of nations, you will see countries moving from categories as factories are built or they are nuked(ie; you build a factory in the USA, it will move into the 8 credit category, making it a juicy target for someone looking to invade a place to gain 8 credits from :) ).

Nemesis

Nem: I made my thread, please check it and make sure it is legit! This is gonna be fun! Oh and a question:

Are we allowed to look at other people's threads?

-Jason

Edit- There will be a newspaper up shortly, so please do not post in it! lol, I want it all to be the first 2!

One more thing(can't help myself lol). Turkey can't crush Syria in the first turn, as he can still afford one infantry, which is enough to defend against everything but a tank or a massed attack.

And remember, due to them getting income the same way you do, the 1 and 2 credits nations won't have an army until turn 2 or 3, although casualties may be inflicted by the people, who may turn guerrilla or have formed a militia(can even happen in your provinces, but not often).

Finally, you may have to keep a garrison of a certain number of combat units(artillery doesn't count as a combat unit for this purpose, the cheapest unit to garrison with is infantry) in a country you have taken to prevent it rebelling against you. Over time, it will become more loyal, and finally the garrison requirements will lower to nothing.

Nemesis

Yes, you can look at other people's threads, it's known as espionage lol, and also it's so that there are other eyes(other than mine) making sure people are making legit moves.

Nemesis

Jason, I won't be squished, because my Arab allies will come to my rescue :p! They all hate the soul-selling Turks, anyways :D.

Oh, and you don't need to number your units(like 1st etc) if you don't want to. You can even just say 2 Infantry Divisions in USA if you're feeling lazy.

Losses should be recorded in your thread as well, but don't need to be that detailed, just say how many units have been killed. You can of course make it a bit more nostalgic than that if you want(see my Brazil thread again lol).

Finally, each unit may only attack once per turn, but you may make as many attacks as you like in one turn, so long as you use different units.

And if your nation spans the water, don't worry, movement inside it costs no movement points, as today's technology can make the nation seem small however big it is.

Nemesis

lol, Toasty, I assume you mean Roddy? :)

Anyways, comeon guys, make your threads! I want to see how other people make their threads! Newspaper will be made in my thread with in a minute:)

-Jasom

That's whatever you're making in a turn, plus 3.

sorry to be a bit dim about this, but:
does that mean that to build a factory we have to have banked at least 3 gold the previous turn, and spend that 3 gold AND EVERYTHING we got for this turn????
dam those things are expencive.
cant even build one the first turn :(

Yes, it means you have to have banked 3 gold from the turn before and then spend everything you get this turn on it. However, if you bank say 6 gold, then you could still buy a factory plus an infantry unit.

For the first ten turns it's probably cheaper to invade other nations. Factories are really for later on when you're becoming more powerful, and want to begin expanding your income.

Nemesis

dang. i realy like early industrialization :( oh well, the war path it is then :D

to 'conquer' a nation does it HAVE to be ground units (infantry/tanks) or can air/naval units take nations too?
like the 'Gunship' unit, can it take a nation? also, the garrisoning forces required to hold a nation, when do we find out what they are?
if i take a country with land unit but it requires 2 or 3 to garrison it, will i loose it the beggining of next turn??? cause that would realy bite

also, should i keep asking all these questions here, or should i put them in my own thread or start a UKNESIV- Questions thread??? :D

Top Bottom