Animal Funtions and the Doviello

sputnik323

Magelord
After playing a game last night and getting a commander bonus, I had an idea that I would like to share. I really liked this idea so Im posting it here...

I think it would be way fun for animals to have an effect on units. I dont propose to change anything they can currently do for cities like the dancing bear.
Basically the idea is that every captured unit can be added to another unit like commander units. Only the ranger/assassin line could get these upgrades (exception Doviello). Each animal has a specific bonus:
Bear's strength= +40% strength
Lion's fury= +1 attack
wolf hunter's pack= +1 first strike
Tiger's stealth= grants hidden in forests/jungles
Rampaging Gorrilla= Fear promotion
Trampling Elephant= Collateral damage
Griffon Rider= Flying + 60% withdrawl chance

When a unit has all these upgrades, the unit can lose all promotions and upgrade to a beastmaster. Half of the upgrades could upgrade the unit to a ranger.

The exception to the ranger tech line is that the Doviello can use animals to upgrade all their units. Their scouts(/hunters ect.) start out with and get a free subdue animal promotion. Friendly animals randomly spawn within the doviello borders (Relatively rare spawn. - griffons, elephants, and gorrilla's do not spawn in doviello lands). This would give the Doviello more flavor and fit within their culture as wildmen. :scan:

Interesting concept, but griffon would be way too overpowered. I mean, a flying scout? Just think of a flying divided soul.

Griffons already fly, if you capture them they can 'scout' the land. Plus they are not easy to find or capture, and maybe their spawn could be made more rare to balance it a bit.

Edit: what bonus would you propose that Griffons gave?

Yeah, that are some good ideas. Someone else already suggested in the Doviello thread that animals could join a unit like a great commander, but he didn't get into details like you afaik.
..and I'm still advocating my idea to give adepts/mages the ability to transform into an animal and back in order to get more XP for them :D

Ah forgot spiders, thanks gekko - yeah view range could work
if flying is too overpowered - than maybe a withdrawl chance alone could work

+40% seems like too much, even for a Bear. You might also consider variations for Giant/Baby Spider, Wolf/Packs, Lion/Pride, Bear/PolarBear.

And what about Penguins? Maybe giant penguins that shoot laser beams?

@Charles 40% is equivalant to combat II or shock I... the lion's one is more powered than the bear.

I like these ideas too. I wouldn't allow any recon unit (assassins and the like) to do this, however, why not just require the appropriate subdue animal/beast promotion for any unit to attach an animal. Maybe reduce the power for some though, since they're basically a free promotion for the unit.
Also, abilities given should consider how the animal helps the unit. The Griffon, for example, doesn't have an innate withdraw ability/bonus so I don't see how having a Griffon with you would help you withdraw. But a bonus vs mounted would be good. Flying would be ok too I think. Flying units lose the ability to use roads, IIRC, so it would be a choice to make.

@keeper - the withdraw concept came from flying griffons. if you were flying on its back you could strike and fly away much better than any other mounted unit. assassins already can get the subdue promotion... for most civs, animals disapear pretty quickly and would be hard to collect too many of them - especially if you are using them for happiness bonuses in your city; thats why the doviello should spawn them.

I know that assassins can get the promotion, any recon unit can. But I think requiring the promotion would be better than requiring recon, so that it would be a little more special to attach an animal to your unit. Also, since the subdue promotions are almost useless against other civs, it would give the subdue promotions a longer life.

I love the idea! Exactly what is needed to spice up Doviello.
I thnk that it could be some kind of "adopt Totem animal" spell, that requires appropiate animal. Promotions can be powerfull, but only one per unit.

I think all melee & recon doviello units should get the ability, not sure about archers, mounted, disciple & adept.
As for the other civs, I would limit it just for beastmasters, perhaps Rangers or even druids too. But nothing else.

Anyway, consider it done :D

Wouldn't the tiger be too imba for and against FoL civs, namely the elves? They tend to have a lot of trees and their priests get to summon the tigers.

Top Bottom