F.a.q.

General_W

Councilor & Merlot Noble

Civ4 BtS MTDG
F.A.Q. Thread!

Get the answers to all your basic questions here!

If you don't see your question here, please post and ask! We'll do our best to respond asap.

What is an MTDG, really?
An MTDG [Muti-Team-Democracy Game] is like a normal multi-player PitBoss game – with a few important distinctions. Instead of a single person in control of each civilization – an entire team controls each civ.
These teams of players have their own private CivFanatics forum where they can decide what kind of game they want to play. You can hold elections for executive leaders of the team, try to involve every single member in all major decisions, decide if you want to play peacefully and honorably – or with lots of spies, backstabbing and double-speak. It's up to your team!
Ultimately, someone from each team (chosen in whatever manner each team decides) will log in to the PitBoss server, and execute all the moves that the team decided upon for that turn and end the turn so that it becomes available for the next team to play.​

What if I don't own a copy of BtS?
No problem! You don't even have to own Civ4 to join in the fun. (Though, obviously, you'll need to own BtS if you ever want to serve as turnplayer for your team).
One of the great parts of an MTDG is that other players on your team can log onto the PitBoss server, take screenshots, and post them in your private forum for discussion – so you can participate even if you can't log onto the server for yourself.​

What are the game settings?
Plans are still being finalized but here's what we've got so far…
Number of Teams: Five
Game Type: Sequential-turns PitBoss game
Civ Version: Civ4 BtS (3.17 patch)
Turn Timer: 24 hours per turn. [Meaning, you'll have at least 1 save to play every 5 days]
Map Type: Still under discussion.

How long will this game last?
This is likely to be a pretty long game. Several months at least.
The first MTDG took about 2 years – but don't be scared! The extremely long time-frame (and the resulting drop in participation) are major reasons why this new version is being played in PitBoss mode with a turn-timer. Now, each team must play their turn in 24 hours or less. So there's guaranteed to be at least 1 save to play every week – though it's obviously possible that the game could move faster than that. And remember: even when there's not a save to play, there's still scheming and planning to be done with your team in the private forum.​

What was the first Civ4 MTDG like?
You can watch some videos from the last MTDG by visiting the EEN Headline News thread.
You can also visit the old forum and look though all the (formerly private) team forums by clicking here.​

Am I cut out for this?
If you love playing SGOTM, then this is like an expanded version where, instead of playing against an AI, you are playing against real human intelligence - and thus playing against a better opponent. If you play Single-Player games, then you will get a challenge of playing other skilled players and expanding your knowledge of the game through cooperation and competition with those players. If you play Multi-Player games then you get an expanded MP game that we know you will enjoy.​

Are there any rules?
We do have a ruleset - but it mainly covers things like "no cheating!" – hopefully this isn't an issue anyway, but please do have a read through the rules to make sure you stay far away from anything that even looks like cheating.
Other than that – it's pretty much up to you to make your own rules! Run your team the way you want and behave as honorably or dishonorably in diplomacy as you’d like… much like the real world.​

When will the game start?
Our goal is to start the game before November 15th – but this may have to be pushed back based on when we can get a Map finalized.​

I'm convinced! Now, how do I sign up?
Step 1) Post in this thread to sign up. If you'd like to be on a specific team or play with certain people, let us know! However, be forewarned that some situations may require us not to accommodate some requests. If you don't specify what team, we'll either randomly assign you to a team or place you on the one with the least amount of members.
Step 2) Wait for a moderator to reply to your request with your team assignment.
Step 3) Go to your User Group Page and request access to your assigned team's forum.
Step 4) Wait for the moderator to grant you access
Step 5) Brace yourself for the MTDG fun that's about to wash over you!​

Didn't see your question here?
Ask it below!

pitboss is where a host server hosts the game, the players login to play their turn, PBEM means that the save is passed along with emails.

Moved from the sign-up thread...
Kaleb said:
Apologies if these are FAQ-style MTDG questions but is there going to be a cap on the number of people in each team? And at what point will Civ leader´s be assigned?
There's no cap!
From past experience, many people that sign up will never participate... and some that DO participate will only do so at a low level.
The rule is pretty much "The more the merrier!" :thumbsup:

Very soon, each team will get it's own private forum.
Then the team can pick their top 3 options for what Civ/Leader they'd like to play. We try to give everyone their top choice, but if there's two teams asking for the same leader, an electronic "coin flip" will decide the matter. Loser gets their second choice.

Once the teams have their private forums, you'll also get to pick your team name, general strategy, and that sort of thing.
There will also be team votes on what kind of map, difficulty level, barbarians, etc. So each team will need to collectively decide how they want to vote.

Hope that helps?

What server will host the pitboss engine for the game? Is it possible to test connection somewhere? I've never played a pitboss game, I'm just curious to test the ropes.

PitBoss vs. PBEM

With PBEM, one team/turn player could slow down the game (as yes, I am referring to me in the Civ 3 MTDG 2). I don't like it; I'm not proud of it; the only defense is that sometimes RL does get in the way.

With PitBoss, what happens if no one is able to log in and play their turn in time? I've had times when I didn't realize the turn was ours to play ( :blush: ) and other times when the nominal turn player just didn't play. In addition to things like car wrecks, church services, elections and mother-in-laws.

Or perhaps the better question is this: in the past, what has happened when a team failed to log-in in time to play their turn?

(On the plus side, I don't have a copy of Civ4 or BTS, so my chances of being a turnplayer, if I sign up, are quite small. :D)

@Niklas - we're still trying to track down DaveMcW. He was our original plan to host this game, but he's suddenly gone missing :scared:

Dave originally set one up at " 69.131.82.108 " - there are no passwords - but I'm not sure if it's still active? (can't test it myself right now)
EDIT: Update- it does NOT appear to be online any longer. :sad:

@CommandoBob - don't worry, we've all had trouble with the 24 hour deadline from time to time.
That's why the new ruleset (go vote now!) is pretty generous on the terms for pausing the game.

If you fail to pause the game or fail to play in the time alloted - then the game essentially presses "end turn" for you.
Anything in your queue will finish building. Any units with "go to" commands will move. Gold will be collected, and research will continue to advance. If you don't have things queued up - I think they just go into limbo mode till you log back in.

So the results aren't nearly as dramatic as missing a PBEM turn in Civ3. In fact, if you've planned ahead, you might not suffer from missing a turn at all! :lol:

It's my understanding that the PitBoss server will send out an e-mail when it's your turn. Since we'll also be using a GPS/Turn Tracker thread - you should have a double-fail-safe way to keep track of when it's your turn.

Hope that helps?

Moved from the sign-up thread...

There's no cap!
From past experience, many people that sign up will never participate... and some that DO participate will only do so at a low level.
The rule is pretty much "The more the merrier!" :thumbsup:

Very soon, each team will get it's own private forum.
Then the team can pick their top 3 options for what Civ/Leader they'd like to play. We try to give everyone their top choice, but if there's two teams asking for the same leader, an electronic "coin flip" will decide the matter. Loser gets their second choice.

Once the teams have their private forums, you'll also get to pick your team name, general strategy, and that sort of thing.
There will also be team votes on what kind of map, difficulty level, barbarians, etc. So each team will need to collectively decide how they want to vote.

Hope that helps?

yes! thanks a lot :)

I'll future questions in right forum from now on!

Thanks Lord Parkin!
Forgot about those.

Now updated.
:salute:

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but what version of BtS are we using?

I want to make sure I'm patched correctly before we much closer to starting :eek:

3.17 patch :)

In pitboss there is no problem patching up thought...

:confused:

I downloaded, unzipped, and ran the install wizard for the 3.17 patch. But when I look at the File Version of the Properties of the BtS.exe, it shows:
3, 1, 3, 1, (104717)

Shouldn't it say 3, 1, 7, ...??

Nope, says that for me too, check about this build in the game.

Top Bottom