F.a.q.

The is something I'm still not understanding. When I browse the multiplayer opties, I don't see a PitBoss option. So how is the game hosted? Or is just a always running direct IP game?

Basically the latter, you use direct ip to connect to the host PC that is running the game.

Pitboss is a separate exe used for hosting direct ip(or lan games), you can find it in your beyond the sword folder(for bts).

Maybe we'll just have a turn thread in the public forum that each team posts in when they have finished their turn so the next team know they can then play.

Civstats can be used to email, as can ingame(if the host put in smtp datat) when it is your turn. You can also use civstats to check who's turn it is so you would know when your turn would come up.

I suggest both civstats and a turn thread. When I tested sequential turns with civstats, it only sent an email when the entire turn finished, not to the team next to play. It shows the team which is playing now without an '*', and the other ones with '*' (despite later ones in the order having not actually played yet).

It is a program which keeps track of a pitboss game's status and uploads it to a web site. It shows the date, turn timer, scores, and summary of previous player actions. It also sends emails to players who register themselves to the game. And there is a diplomacy function like PMs, though that's not used very much.

Hmm if civstats only send messages when a new turn starts it would be yet another argument for having simulatanious turns...

yeah, but the expoilts associated with simulatanious turns arn't worth it

yeah, but the expoilts associated with simulatanious turns arn't worth it

The exploits are easily dealt with through rules and reloads... I've played double digit pitbosses and never had a problem that wasn't possible to solve by rules or just reloading... If we do go simultanious turns the rules should be modified accordingly of course...

:lol: come on people! Let's not rehash things that are already settled.

A turn tracker thread worked great for PBEM - there's no reason it can't work great for PitBoss also.

Going from PBEM to sequential turns PitBoss is already going to be quite a move, and I think it'll be a bit shocking to PBEM veterans about how much it speeds things up and clamps down on discussion and diplomacy.

Going from PBEM all the way to simultaneous turns could quite possibly send me into MTDG conniptions! :twitch:

The main argument (in my opinion) against simultaneous is turns is that SPEED is not the primary goal of an MTDG. Massive interactive diplomacy and thoughtful team-based strategy combined with the opportunity for role play is the reason we're even bothering with the MTDG format.
Speed is not helpful for that - in fact it hurts all those main reasons for having an MTDG.

If your main objective is to finish a Civ game in one month - there are much better options than this MTDG. If the speed is too fast, only a very select few will even be able to keep up with what's going on, and it'll eventually turn into just a 5 player game, not a 5 team game.

If this second Civ4 MTDG is decided to have been too slow after the fact, there's no reason the 3rd MTDG couldn't try out simultaneous turns... but in my view, this would be a profound mistake that strikes at the core of what makes an MTDG a different and therefore fun experience.

:goodjob: General

Simultan pitboss is for single player an advantage, it isn´t so good for teams.

btw
we´ve the same discussion in the ISDG-final

Simultanious turns is not mainly to speed up the game! It gives more time to each team(while also taking less time sure). With a timer of 120 hours, some of the turns will go a lot faster, however each time also got more time to discuss their actual situation for their turn, instead of just the situation before and/or after their turn... It also gives more time to fit into people's schedules and less possiblity of missed turns.

Simultanious turns is not mainly to speed up the game! It gives more time to each team(while also taking less time sure). With a timer of 120 turns, some of the turns will go a lot faster, however each time also got more time to discuss their actual situation for their turn, instead of just the situation before and/or after their turn... It also gives more time to fit into people's schedules and less possiblity of missed turns.
I presume you meant 120 hours. ;)

But yes, I agree. A turn timer of 120 hours on a simultaneous pitboss would mean the same maximum turnaround time (5 days), but in the earlier stages of the game it would allow the less interesting turns to pass quicker if all teams have decided what they want to do within the first day or so of each turn. I'm in support of this option. :)

Speaking from the experience of the Apolyton BtSDG, so long as you define a double move effectively (which shouldn't be that hard, just say that you can't move a unit until 12 hours after you first moved it, with game admins discretion so that we could, say, blast through the first 20 turns quite quickly if we wanted to), then simul turns is perfectly OK. And the 72 turn time is fine for every team to play in even if the turnplayer is busy, and makes it easier for other people to log in and offer their views on a changing situation compared to a 24 hour turn timer in sequential which will make the game take longer.

Top Bottom