CivCon 09

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED.

DanQ on 7/20/2009 said:
Speaking on behalf of the CivCon '09 Committee, it is with regret that we inform you that this event has been canceled. The reason for coming to this unfortunate decision was due to low registration numbers, even during the 'early bird' period which ended this past Tuesday. Further, lower interest and availability still was received to participate in the multiplayer tournaments, which were to have made up a considerable portion of the event's itinerary.

Thank you to those of you who expressed interest in this event, and an additional nod of appreciation to those of you who did register. Refunds for registration payments, minus applicable PayPal fees, are to be issued within the next few business days -- contact Treasurer Joe "joebreeves" Reeves (joe.reeves@gmail.com) if you have any concerns in this regard. For hotel and any other reservations (e.g. airfare), you will need to cancel them yourselves. Check the terms of these bookings to ensure that you cancel before you are charged for the service.

It had been hoped that registration numbers would have been plentiful enough to see CivCon '09 realized, but unfortunately that has been proven not to be the case. Hopefully there will be further convention opportunities in the future, and that they will come to pass to ultimately become ApolyCon '06's successors.

Apolyton and CFC are pleased to announce the first ever CivCon '09.

CivCon '09 is a unique event where Civilization lovers and Sid Meier fans can gather to learn new strategies and techniques from the professionals, and mingle with the celebrities of the Firaxis world.

The convention will include:
- Gaming tournaments
- Keynote addresses given by Firaxis
- Breakout sessions from professionals in the field
- and some surprises

CivCon '09 will be held on August 7-9, 2009 in Hunt Valley, Maryland (just a stone's throw from Firaxis headquarters).

Embassy Suites Baltimore North/Hunt Valley
213 International Circle
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
www.baltimorenorthhuntvalley.embassysuites.com

Recently I've gotten into watching starcraft tournaments, since gomTV started casting in English. Watched a match as a joke, since i saw it posted on a forum, but was surprised to see it was actually quite entertaining to watch two nerds battle it out for domination. I know Starcraft is a different game, but any chance you guys will have casted MP games to watch? Also are you guys going to do anything for the mod community, like review any mods or what not?
I plan to attend. :yup:
Too far away, I'll see what you guys offer in terms of online coverage.

Thanks for the dates! Now I can reserve the space in my calender.

Maybe when we know beginning and ending times we can book some flights.

Is there a code to use when making an online reservation, or do we have to call?

My wife says to tell you that for a bunch of guys who practice running the world every day, we're not very well organized .. :lol:

She made the hotel reservation today ( tuesday ).

I hope it will be a great convention. I will not join though, travelling all over the world for this is unfortunately not an option. I ask you to post a great set of threads in the forum after the convention for all of us that cannot join. Cheers, and congrats on a great idea.

Thanks for the dates! Now I can reserve the space in my calender.

Maybe when we know beginning and ending times we can book some flights.

Is there a code to use when making an online reservation, or do we have to call?

My wife says to tell you that for a bunch of guys who practice running the world every day, we're not very well organized .. :lol:

She made the hotel reservation today ( tuesday ).

hahahahahaha :lol:

Too far away, I'll see what you guys offer in terms of online coverage.

This is something we are considering, though we'd prefer to see you at CivCon. :)

We have already made reservations with the hotel and that includes the rooms. The final details are still being worked on, but don't worry, we already have the rooms.

Who is organizing the event?
The CivCon '09 Committee is made up of the following individuals (titles in brackets) at present:

- Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney (Lead Organizer)
- Joe "snoopy369" Matise (Finances Lead, Event Organizer, IT Lead)
- Methos (Marketing Lead, CFC Liaison)
- Kenneth "Zopperoni" Lim (Marketing and IT Assistant, Webmaster)
- Daniel "DanQ" Quick (Advisor, ACS Administrative Liaison)

When is Patch-Con?
:p:lol:

I hope it will be a great convention. I will not join though, travelling all over the world for this is unfortunately not an option. I ask you to post a great set of threads in the forum after the convention for all of us that cannot join. Cheers, and congrats on a great idea.
Thanks for the support, Hertsh. :) I can appreciate for financial reasons alone while you will not be able to attend.

We plan to document as much of the convention as possible for public consumption, attendees and non-attendees alike. :yup:

:D

Did she mention "CivCon '09" at all, out of curiosity, in so doing? If so, what was the response?

Nope . She made an online reservation, which would have required an as yet undisclosed code. When one becomes available, we can change the reservation.

Nope . She made an online reservation, which would have required an as yet undisclosed code. When one becomes available, we can change the reservation.
Ah.

The hotel is to provide us with a specific webpage for registrations for this convention, but it is not available yet. Inquiries continue to be made about it, and we will pass along the link when it is communicated to us and set.

Looking for Online Coverage as Well!

Ah.

The hotel is to provide us with a specific webpage for registrations for this convention, but it is not available yet. Inquiries continue to be made about it, and we will pass along the link when it is communicated to us and set.

My wife wants to know if you're organized yet.;)

Top Bottom