[CIV] New China

younflancy

Warlord
Here is the New China MOD for Civ4: Colonization. Version 1.0 As China used to be very advanced on seacraft in the history,
with Zheng He's voyage to far away parts of the world, we're interested in adding China into this game as a colony power.

Download and see the screen shots here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11127

Features:
1 Trait:Agricultural. +1 food on tiles with 2 food or more. This shows the agricultural skill of China.
China would start from the west of the new world, which would cause a +100% penalty of travel time back home.
Starting units: An expert farmer soldier, and a free colonist pioneer.
2 Chinese Leader: Zheng Chenggong.(Using QinShihuang's LH)
Trait: Ambitious, -25% recruiting cost.
3 Chinese flag, teamcolor, diplomacy music, diplomacy texts, pedia entries, unit sounds etc. are also well provided.

Install:
1 Donwload the New China.zip and unzip into your mods folder
(Usually C:\Documents and Settings\YounFlancy\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS)
2 Start the game, choose Advanced->Load a mod->New China. Then the mod would be loaded and you could play with the new civ.
You can also open the civ4config file under the game folder, with a notepad.
Find a line says:
Mod = 0
Change it into:
Mod = New China
And save the file.
Then you can directly start with the New China mod.

Acknoledgements:
Thank ripple01 for providing the leaderheads of Taizong(used as Chinese King) and Qin Shihuang(used as Zheng).
Thank civfanatics forum and all the mod teachers, for providing so much useful guide to mods.

Next Step
I have tested this mod with several friend players, and it worked well.
Next I want to add a new leader to China, and make units with ethnical units. I strongly welcome civ artists
to provide chinese conventional style units as Dragoon, rifleman, canon and general. I found some good units
in the database, but unfortunately they were not of conventional chinese style.

Looking forward to any responce! :) Hope you enjoy the game.

Woot! I wondered when you would release it.

Can you post some screenshots? What is the start ship? Does it have any uniqie ships yet?
The +1 food on min2 food tiles sounds almost too good. Is that playtested enough? Maybe on min3 would be better?

Woot! I wondered when you would release it.

Can you post some screenshots? What is the start ship? Does it have any uniqie ships yet?
The +1 food on min2 food tiles sounds almost too good. Is that playtested enough? Maybe on min3 would be better?

Hello, Zuul:) You can go to the download page to see the screen shots.
In fact China has this advantage on food with a big disadvantage of travel time penalty.
Col needs 200 food to have a new population, so the food bonus is not very powerful.
China starts with a normal cavarel.

are you using asian style units (you could get them from bts and varietas delectat)

I really want to use them. But in BTS, only ancenstral and medival units like archers, swordsman are of ethnical style.
I need asian style cavalry, rifleman, cannon and industrial general.

In the database, I found really good units like japanese industrial units, thai industrial units, but no chinese style.

There does exist a "chinese industrial units pack",
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6955
in "11 Industrial Units " created by danrell. But unfotunately they are of Manchurian style, not real conventional chinese style.

And there is another chinese style cavalry:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=5364
using a chokonu's uniform, not quite accurate to the time, but does look like chinese. However, this unit does not give _FX nif file, and would look totally team colored in the game.

dL varietas delectat it has later chinese units (you need to get the unpak to get them though)

Yes, that's a great ethnical units mod!:lol:

But the chinese industrial units are of manchurian type, not conventional chinese type.:cry:

Actually I was thinking of using some approximate units.
Chinese light cavalry, or japanese cavalry would be fine, but the perfect unit is a chinese cavalry wearing a Ming Style uniform, taking a pistole and a short sword.

varietas delectat it has later chinese units

Theese units from Varietas Delectat 4.01 are ok for this mod... Maybe not the cannon but the soldier and cavalry seems good... I think you should add this units cause the mod should become better...

I take this occasion for ask you the formal permission for add your civilization as modular in my United Mods...

:goodjob:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 526
Theese units from Varietas Delectat 4.01 are ok for this mod... Maybe not the cannon but the soldier and cavalry seems good... I think you should add this units cause the mod should become better...

I take this occasion for ask you the formal permission for add your civilization as modular in my United Mods...

:goodjob:

Yes, I have seen them. :D They are good units. But they are of Manchurian type. The new China mod is based on the history of Ming dynasty. If I use Qing units, it would cause misunderstanding of the chinese history. Actually the invasion of Manchuria is quite a disaster for China, and terrible delay of Chinese civilization's development. :p

Sure you can add my mod to the united mod. You r doing such a great job of integrating each modder(including yourself)'s effort into together.

Btw, I have modified the A_NEW_WORLD script to fit the china starting location. Maybe we can rename the script to another name, like "ONE_WORLD_ONE_DREAM".:lol:

Do you guys know a better way of modifying Dragoon's art?
Dragoon is a profession, not a unit-type. If I want to modify china's dragoon to another looking, without changing other civ's dragoon, I must substitue every unit_class of chinese civ with a unique unit, and then point this unit's dragoon profession art to chinese style art.
This is messy and would make the pedia bump. But civ4:col doesn't have a system like unit_mesh_group in civ4.
How can I do it better? If I just want to modify a unit into a special ethnic looking, but keep all its properties as the normal ones of its type.

Interestingly, the Chinese canon unit is really like the actual chinese rifleman in Ming dynasty.

Ehi Younflancy here's something I need to say:

1) In your China mod, you should rename the Zheng_Chenggong.waw in ZhengChenggong.waw for have working diplosound. This is what I did in United Mods and It works fine.

2) Always in my United Mods I've changed China game text in DARK_PINK, the same Civilization IV color. (This because RED is still used by other civs in my mod). Changing in DARK_PINK doesn't looks bad because is similar to CIV4 and the color can't be confused. With DARK_PINK color the civilization seems more "official" ...

3) I suggest to improve the Chinese King Flag. The actual button doesn't look so nice... specially with that purple color. BTW I've no idea of how wil be the future button.

4) Try to add Varietas Delectat Artstyle. Actual artstyle is too much european...

Keep going. Nice mod. :goodjob:

Ehi Younflancy here's something I need to say:

1) In your China mod, you should rename the Zheng_Chenggong.waw in ZhengChenggong.waw for have working diplosound. This is what I did in United Mods and It works fine.

2) Always in my United Mods I've changed China game text in DARK_PINK, the same Civilization IV color. (This because RED is still used by other civs in my mod). Changing in DARK_PINK doesn't looks bad because is similar to CIV4 and the color can't be confused. With DARK_PINK color the civilization seems more "official" ...

3) I suggest to improve the Chinese King Flag. The actual button doesn't look so nice... specially with that purple color. BTW I've no idea of how wil be the future button.

4) Try to add Varietas Delectat Artstyle. Actual artstyle is too much european...

Keep going. Nice mod. :goodjob:

Thanks for the suggestions.:)
1 Yes the music name should be Zheng Chenggong.
2 The modifying is good.
3 I would try to make another more graphical flag, maybe the original dragon flag.
4 Well, this is the most exciting feature I am thinking of. I want to replace Jesuit Missionaries with Confucianism missionaries, and replace military units with chinese style units.
But as I mentioned above, changing units' art style would cause the pedia and unique units list to bump(Especially when changing Dragoon's art) I am looking for a good way to do that.

Can anyone help me with making this mod work?
I installed it at C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS. I loaded it and that worked. But when I went to single player I went to every category and looked for China and it was not there!

Can anyone help me with making this mod work?
I installed it at C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS. I loaded it and that worked. But when I went to single player I went to every category and looked for China and it was not there!

Hello! Starting from the custom game, you can choose Zheng Chenggong in the leader selecting bar. Then you should be using China. :)

Top Bottom