• Pangaea

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • Archipelago

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 47 13.0%

• Total voters
B&S, love the GLH and lots of islands.

I tend to like continents. I like not finding everyone right off the bat (plus it's nice really only dealing with like 2-5 opponents right off the bat, as opposed to playing like Earth 18 where you have tons of people to worry about). I want Astronomy to mean something, and I want the circumnav bonus to mean something.

Hemispheres I need to try more, since I think I wouldn't mind that. That or trying out a Terra map could be nice for a change. And I need to play more fractal maps, to get different experiences.

I've played exclusively on Tectonics lately, I really like it. So I picked "other".
I think the landmasses you get are very varied from game to game, yet still "coherent". This is a bit hard to explain, but even though fractal gives some wildly varying results, the terrain types and shape of landmasses looks alot more well..random. Like a painter took a brush and flung paint at a canvas, chaotic.
The tectonic map is very varied yet still looks more like actual continents, at least that's the feeling I get from it. Also there's a more subtle change in the transition of terrain types, for example there's some grassland tiles mixed in with the tundra even far south but in a way that does not strike me as haphazard but deliberate, making these areas sligthly more appealing overall rather than going from great city site to horrible city site within the distance of a single bfc radius.

I chose Fractal, as that is what I play the most. I really need to experiment more with maptypes; that's why I enjoy playing all of these games which get posted, helps to change it up. I like Fractal the most though, since I could end up on pangea, isolated, continents, or whatever. Never really seem to draw archi maps with fractal though...but the snaky continents seems to be favored the most with fractal.

Fractal, because it generates something interesting and different each time.
Sometimes pangaea if I want a more war-oriented game.
Rarely continents, I find it boring. And more "unique" maps like inland sea or great plains are boring as well after a couple times.

If I want a water game, I usually play B&S or M&S. Never archipelago, wich is probably my least favorite map script.

Fractal. You never know for sure what your map will look like.

I play realistic maps all the time (as in the scenarios of Earth Map 18 and 32 civs and the huge Europe map.) I rarley ever play the normal random map types, but when I do I do pangea or the one with multiple continents and one of them is empty for colinization. So I voted "other" on this pole :)

Yeah I've started really liking the tectonics script that came in the last patch too.

Fractal is more interesting and challenging than the others because it's unpredictable. It's fun to explore a map that you don't have any idea what will look like. Though it does suck when you end up on your own mini-continent.

I used to play Fractal, but I now like Tectonics better. I think it's more interesting. You have mountain ranges, and long stretches of one type of terrain, which seems more realistic. It can get pretty unbalanced in terms of starting positions, but that makes it interesting too. It's also pretty unpredictable, which I like.

I like tectonics for the interesting situations such as chokepoints and clusters of hills, plains etc.

I've only messed with tectonics a little bit, I think we had a Noble's Club with one (maybe Shaka?) but I've heard the AI doesn't handle it too well. Of course, this has been said for most map scripts other than Pangea, so I don't really know...

I've only messed with tectonics a little bit, I think we had a Noble's Club with one (maybe Shaka?) but I've heard the AI doesn't handle it too well. Of course, this has been said for most map scripts other than Pangea, so I don't really know...

It wasn't Shaka can't remember who but Victoria was the neighbour and ashoka and Nappy behind her and Pericles I think also.
Nice map allowing some great kill zones to decimate victoria's stack.

wait is the tectonic map option apart of beyond the sword or is it a download because I cannot find it when you start a game?

OK, I found it. Guess I just never looked specificaly for it. Will try it out some time.

Top Bottom