MAP: The Elder Scrolls: Tamriel (138x96 and 112x80)

-sr

Chieftain
Tamriel 138x96

Tamriel 112x80

Download

DESCRIPTION:
Again two maps with different size, this time of the continent Tamriel, with also containing Yokuda and Pyandonea, where the PC game series The Elder Scrolls takes place. Unfortunately I had many maps as models, but the problem was: I had a well-detailed map of the province Cyrodiil, but no detailde map of Valenwood or Elsweyr. So I took a map with political borders and exact coastlines and created the most landslides (terrain, forests etc.) relying on informations of homepages about Tamriel.

See here two maps:

Here some links containing information about the world of Tamriel:

* http://imperial-library.info/maps/: maps
* http://www.uesp.net/wiki: some kind of Tamriel Wikipedia
* http://www.scharesoft.de/joomla/almanach/index.php/Hauptseite: the same in German

Also credits to zappara for helping me by more maps and scales of the maps.

DATA VERY HUGE MAP:
Map Size: 138x96
Worldsize: Huge
Nations: None preset
Resources: enough for 15 players
Version 1.01; Mon, Nov 3, 2008

DATA LARGE MAP:
Map Size: 112x80
Worldsize: Large
Nations: None preset
Resources: enough for 12 players
Version 1.01; Mon, Nov 3, 2008

SCREENSHOTS VERY HUGE MAP:
Elsweyr, South Cyrodiil, Black Marsh
Hammerfell, High Rock, West Cyrodiil
Skyrim, North Cyrodiil, Morrowind
Summerset Isles, Pyandonea, Valenwood
Yokuda, Hammerfell

SCREENSHOTS LARGE MAP:
Elsweyr, South Cyrodiil, Black Marsh
Hammerfell, High Rock, West Cyrodiil
Skyrim, North Cyrodiil, Morrowind
Summerset Isles, Pyandonea, Valenwood
Yokuda, Hammerfell

HOW TO INSTALL:

All my maps are for Vanilla, but you can easily play them with WL or BTS. Extract them and put them into the folder:

* for Vanilla: Civ4/PublicMaps
* for Warlords: Civ4/Warlords/PublicMaps
* for Beyond the Sword: Civ4/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps.

Or, if you want a WL- oder BTS-map, you can change the file extension:

* for Vanilla: Civ4WorldBuilderSave
* for Warlords: CivWarlordsWBSave
* for Beyond the Sword: CivBeyondSwordWBSave

Sweet! Now we just need some static leaderhead screenshots from beautifully modded TES games.

This is a fantastic looking map! However, is there any way to convert it so it works for Fall From Heaven? I just tried it and got a crash on load.

This map would be amazing with the fantasy gameplay,

I agree this would be fantastic for Fall From Heaven. I'm an elder scrolls fan too – this map would combine the only two games I actually still play. Great job, thanks a lot!

My only quibble is the way you made the major rivers into sea tiles. This means the following:
1) The major rivers are impassable for land units and can never be bridged
2) The major rivers do not help make super-fertile and rich cities (since coastal tiles are not as good as riverside tiles)
Neither of these effects is an accurate representation of the major rivers in Tamriel.

Parts of the major rivers should be water tiles (e.g. some bits around the Imperial City) but most, in my opinion, should be rivers.

I agree this would be fantastic for Fall From Heaven. I'm an elder scrolls fan too – this map would combine the only two games I actually still play. Great job, thanks a lot!

My only quibble is the way you made the major rivers into sea tiles. This means the following:
1) The major rivers are impassable for land units and can never be bridged
2) The major rivers do not help make super-fertile and rich cities (since coastal tiles are not as good as riverside tiles)
Neither of these effects is an accurate representation of the major rivers in Tamriel.

Parts of the major rivers should be water tiles (e.g. some bits around the Imperial City) but most, in my opinion, should be rivers.

Thanks. :)

Concerning Fall from Heaven: Unfortunately I never played FFH and so I don't know how to make this map playable for FFH. Sorry. :( I believe there's a special section for all questions and info about FFH, perhaps you get help if you look there.

Concerning the rivers: I'm no expert in Tamriel (I only liked the motive and searched for some motives because soe months ago mapmaking was something like my hobby) and so I thought it would be better to have a "sea river" instead of a usual river flowing southwards from the center of Cyrodiil.
If you want, I can replace it by terrain (flood plains) as soon as I can.

Edit: Which rivers in particular do you mean? Please let me know before Sun, Aug 2th, otherwise I'm 200 km away from a computer where I can play BTS and I can't work on the map until the end of September (vacation/job).

I'm really just talking about the big river in Cyrodiil, the one that runs from Imperial City to the Topal Bay. In my opinion it should all be river about from Niben Bay and a few tiles around the Imperial City.

Possibly the channel encircling Vvardenfell should be river too, but I've really no idea because I've never played Morrowind. Probably best leave that as it is.

But actually I wouldn't ask you to spend time on the map on my behalf as I don't know when I'll next have time to play civ anyway. I am reduced to looking at maps like this and fantasising about playing it :) (I did nearly play with this map when I had more time, but gave up because it didn't work with Fall from Heaven).

If you do rediscover your map-making hobby and free time, I also remember thinking it would be better if there was a smaller version of the map. In my opinion the size of the map should encourage a city-placement density that roughly corresponds with the city-placement density of Tamriel. I think the 112x80 map would end up with more cities than Tamriel is supposed to have.

Outlander, you should know that the Imperial N'Wahs sail ships up the Niben all the time (it is not a small river at any point), and you absolutely have to take a ship between Vvardenfell and the mainland. I think the map is quite good as it is.

Okay so Vvardenfell should definitely be left as it is but I still think the Niben should become a river – as I said I never played Morrowind so I don't know. It's a similar issue with earth maps. Many real-world rivers are big enough to have allowed pre-modern war ships to sail along them but they are represented as rivers not sea tiles on earth maps.

Yes it's a pity naval units can't travel up river tiles. Either representation (sea Niben or river Niben) undermines flavour in one way (not allowing ships to sail the Niben vs making the Niben unbridgeable and not be the high-value area that rivers are in Civ), so it should be the least flavour-undermining choice, which in my opinion is river Niben not sea Niben.

Or... it could be that the Niben be represented by a mixture of river tiles and sea tiles (for the wider points) with there never being more than two river tiles in a row. That way the player could just built forts to make the entire length of the Niben navigable, while still allowing land units to cross the Niben as well, and providing lots of land tiles with the health/trade/food bonuses that rivers give.

This is a fantastic looking map! However, is there any way to convert it so it works for Fall From Heaven? I just tried it and got a crash on load.

This map would be amazing with the fantasy gameplay,

Would you add additional things like the unique features to the map, if i convert the map?

I'll be uploading a copy that kind of works in FfH2 in the FfH2 Maps section. I say "kind of works" because right now I just made it work w/o errors, it still doesnt have any cotton, pearls, reagents, mana nodes, or unique features. I'll see about putting in everything else as well this weekend.

uh...well...er...then...don't expect an answer, i don't think -sr will ever come back :sad:.

Normally "we" (the community) say, that if something has been uploaded to the CFC database, then it is meant to be used. Nobody here expects to be asked if you want to use his/her stuff in your mod, but you are supposed to give proper credit (so, naming all the people who have contributed in any way to your mod in your mod thread) for everybody.

Anyone got milk? or at least access to those maps?
Spoiler :
yeah, necro...
the point of forums is the promotion of debate by sharing and preserving ideas so deal with it.

Is smortt still around?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom