I have no patience for war

amit9up

Chieftain
Seriously making all those units, then moving them near the enemy border.

And actually attacking a city. Do you guys go through your entire stack checking who has best odds etc. It gets immensely annoying for 10+ units

And keeping track of promotions. medic etc?

Is there an age of empires style of war, where I can just ask my SOD to invade a city and the computer makes all the smart decisions

You can always use stack attack... or send in a few catapults first so that following battles will have incredible odds in your favor.

By catapults, u mean bombard the city?

And how do I do stack attack?

Warring gets a lot easier the more you do it. It is not till the modern era where handling all those units gets tedious. And when I have 50+ units on the same square my game bogs down bad and I don't know why.

Stack attack is under options but I can't remember which tab I think the first one. It has "show friendly moves" "show enemy moves". It is that menu at the bottom left I think.

War MM is 1000x more fun to me than city MM. If civ provided city governors WORTH a damn I'd turn those on and just manage war the duration of the game.

Well but it doesn't take too long. Who has the best odds you can pretty well tell by just looking at promos (and unit types ofcourse). Keeping track of promotions? Never needed that. Most of the units have promotions that clearly suits them best (e.g. I always promote Macemen with City Raider, Pikemen with Woodsmen and/or Medic and so on). Depending on situation you may need one or two units from each unit type with different promos (like a Macemen with Combat and Shock and ofcourse Elephant with Combat, Amphibious and Shock :D) but that's it. No need to keep track of something. It goes really quick.

What I have no patience for is AI moves and especially AI attacks. They take forever if you don't check the "fast attack" or so in options.

Lurker here :lol:

By catapults, u mean bombard the city?

And how do I do stack attack?

Bombarding is nice yes, but the real strength of catapults and other similar units is collateral damage. When they attack they hurt units they aren't attacking as well (Usually between 4-6 or so other units).
They also cause this collateral whether they win or not, so just about everyone uses suicide catapults before they send in the main force.
In short collateral is very, very powerful.

Stack attack is enabled under the game options.

Also about stack attack, make sure after its enabled to select ALL your units in a stack, (shift click on the unit icons) that'll also allow you to move the stack as one unit regardless of stack attack.

Hi,

If you have all your units in a stack and you hold the right click button(or your equivalent) and mouse over the enemy unit the computer will show you the odds of the best attacking unit*.

I think that the if it is even enough between the best odds of winning and the best odds of retreating the computer will go for the unit with the retreat odds but i'm sure some maths guy could tell you but i have little interst in that.

I am going to support what most everyone is saying and suggest that you always take along some siege units (promote them up the City Raider line). Bombard away the culture defence, then sacrifice your remaining siege units one by one (start with the weakest ones); and then simply select your entire stack, utter your best war cry, and right-click the enemy city.

I used to think just like the OP. It gets easier. Learn when you need siege units and when you can do without. thos makes battles so much easier.

the best way to learn how to wage war is reading a few good walkthroughs on these boards and then practise practise practise. :)

And actually attacking a city. Do you guys go through your entire stack checking who has best odds etc. It gets immensely annoying for 10+ units

Is there an age of empires style of war, where I can just ask my SOD to invade a city and the computer makes all the smart decisions
IMO, attacking cities are probably the easiest to do.

My usual tactic:

Bombard city defenses down to 0%
Send in a few new seige engines first, to weaken the best defender(s) and cause collateral damage to the rest.
Send in veteran seige engines next to weaken the rest of the defenders.
Send in the City Raider foot troops, to wipe out the defenders.

In the modern age:

Send in fighters first to take care of any remaining interceptors.
Send in bombers next.
And then the rest.

amit9up,

When you have multiple units selected and tell them to attack the game will choose whichever unit has the highest probability of winning to attack first. This means you can select all units (alt + click a unit) and tell them to all attack at once.

Sometimes you'll want to attack with other units that may not have the best chance to win, in this case you can use select same-type-units (Ctrl + click a unit) and tell them to attack.

For example, if you are going to launch an attack with Catapults followed up by Swordsmen, chances are the Catapults will have lower odds of winning than your Swordsmen. In this you would need to Ctrl-select your Catapults and attack with them manually before attacking with your Swordsmen.

amit9up,

When you have multiple units selected and tell them to attack the game will choose whichever unit has the highest probability of winning to attack first. This means you can select all units (alt + click a unit) and tell them to all attack at once.

Sometimes you'll want to attack with other units that may not have the best chance to win, in this case you can use select same-type-units (Ctrl + click a unit) and tell them to attack.

For example, if you are going to launch an attack with Catapults followed up by Swordsmen, chances are the Catapults will have lower odds of winning than your Swordsmen. In this you would need to Ctrl-select your Catapults and attack with them manually before attacking with your Swordsmen.

It seems the stack attack actually knows to lead with siege first, but to what extent is beyond me. Control-selecting for attacks is definitely the way to go.

By the way, I've witnessed AI attacking with Siege units somewhere in the middle of attack queue or even in the end of it :) Quite often. Is there any rationale behind this umm.. sort of tactics... or is AI just plain dumb?

This is exactly why I rarely war either. Warring is tedious and annoying. The whole warring process in Civ 4 is broken.

PreLynMax,

Every problem you quoted amit9up saying has an in-game solution present without the need for mods (though I will admit some mods help.) If you would like, I could list them all. Otherwise I ask you to please provide another example (or examples) showing that war in CivIV is broken?*

*Other than the "spear vs tank" scenario. We all know that one. :p

I enjoy warfare but prefer the first stage of the game, axes up to rifles or cavalry when there is still some tatctic involved compared to late game wars which are mostly a question on producing an overhelming numbers of infantry or tanks.

It gets immensely annoying for 10+ units
10?
When talking annoying I can think of several hundreds :lol:

I tend to agree over all. You need to consider defense in order to make an ecomomy building game fun. But the way that the AI will suddenly DOW and send over a 50 unit SOD is rediculous. Even when I have the capability of handling that attack I'll often shut down and go to bed instead.;)

It seems the stack attack actually knows to lead with siege first, but to what extent is beyond me. Control-selecting for attacks is definitely the way to go.

I noticed this before. But I always thought that it merely went with whatever unit had the highest combat odds since I seem to recall times where the catapults didn't attack first. I should retest this later today...

Top Bottom