Lonely Hearts Club, BtS Edition, Chapter XL: Hammurabi

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 40th edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 40th game in BTS the chosen leader was Hammurabi of the Babylonians:
Spoiler :

I'll give a internet dime for the person that can tell me who had Hammurabi trait combo in Vanilla :D

Seriously, Hammurabi is probably one of the least liked leaders of the BtS pack: no "brainy" traits and both UU and UB are not very liked ( UU is a archer, a thing that humans dislike to build and the UB gives extra health , a thing that most humans simply don't care ). I personally like the trait combo, that is clearly a warmonger combo ( cheaper courthouses and civics +free C1 melee and gunpowder = :trouble: ), but in here, warmongering will take a while to happen. The UU, in spite of not being shiny, already saved me from some troubled situations ( and in MP, humans think twice in attacking a city with them ) and the UB, in spite of not being top of the pop ( unless you get the Sports league quest... 2 :) + 2 health is not that bad at all ), can be pretty useful in those situations where health is the limiting factor ( like FP starts with no remaining woods )

Well, definitely not the shiniest civ and leader of them all, but solid in my opinion... let's see how it goes in here.

His UU
Spoiler :

The Bowman is a improved archer that has a bonus vs melee units. There has been some discussion about the usefulness of this particular UU : some say that it is worthless and some say that it is quite useful. My opinion is that it is a useful asset: after all it is a cheap and resourceless anti melee unit, pretty much in the style of the quechua. The big diference is that the AI is programmed to defend it's cities with archers and not melee... on the other hand, the AI doesn't use melee in the same way that humans do: countering a massive melee army is the speciality of the bowmen ,but very rarely a AI will pull a stunt like that ( unfortunately ). This leaves the bowman relegated to pure garrison and anti barb tasks ( they are quite good in fogbusting: not much below HA can scratch a bowman fortified in a forested hill ). In MP, the story is completely diferent, of course......

In here, with no early contacts , the bowmen will most likely only serve as anti barb unit.....

His UB
Spoiler :

The garden is a colloseum that also gives 2 health in the city where it is built. Like I said, health is normally not the biggest concern of the human player in the stage of the game where the gardens appear, so they do not seem that much of improvement regarding the colloseum. But the garden shines more in the late game , with all of the unhealthiness produced by factories and power, combined with the lack of trees. In late game a garden most of the times is worth a extra citizen in a city, so it is not that worthless....

In isolation..... well, sometimes the isolated maps are quite bad in terms of health resources and you can't trade for them until maybe half of the game. i think that makes the garden a little more useful than in other situations.

The start (Thanks to DanF for the solution of the unit change of place ;) .... The warrior/scout should appear always in the same place from now on, really :p ):
Spoiler :

So, what do we have here? 3 riverside plain hills, 3 forests, 1 stone plain hill right in the first ring, FPs, some grassland.... well, this is posssibly one of the best starting spots in a LHC for quite a while ( I' already making some plans about that stone and FPs ;) )

Regarding the saves ( if you're using DanF change to the WB files load, skip this ): given some complaints about the efects of the AI starting without archery in high levels ( giving a unfair advantage to AI that have early UU and/or have early warmongering tendencies ), I decided to make 3 WB saves ( all in the same zip file ). The WB saves are equal except for the fact that one of them ( labeled Monarch ) has all of the AI with archery as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Monarch ), one ( labeled Immortal ) has all of the AI with archery,hunting and agriculture as starting tech ( corresponding to a game started in Immortal ) while the last is the corresponding to a game starting in Noble ( labeled Noble ). All WB saves are playable in all levels, but ( for a example ) if you use the Monarch one the AI will start with archery ( and archers ) in any level. This has only a slight effect in the human directly ( mainly via the garrisons of barb cities ), but has a huge effect on the AI gaming in the outer lands ( avoiding scenarios like Pacal, Shaka or Sitting Bull to take all the barb cities and becoming moguls ). I strongly recommend the usage of the Monarch save if you want to play in Monarch+ and the Immortal at Immortal/Deity.... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) The saves are zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.

Any problem PM me...

P.S WB saves are crosscompatible between 3.13 and 3.17 if they don't have No Espionage ticked. No problem with the patches here :p And as WB saves are no more than text files and Vanilla and Warlords WB are almost equal, you can play this if you exchange the non-Vanilla ( or non-warlords ) stuff ( in here it will be only leaders and civs eventually )

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC XL ( Hammurabi ).zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 280
For some reason I've played a lot of games as Hamm, but never completed one.

First part, emperor/epic, to 115 AD:

Spoiler :

mining - bw - masonry - hunting - pottery - mysticism - ah - writing - math - aesthetics - poly - literature - MC - priesthood - CoL

Hunting to build a scout for huts. No need to research our UU, we have copper in the BFC.
EDIT: researched fishing and sailing at some point

4000 - Settle in place.

3800 - 60 gold.

2375 - Akkad:

2100 - Map from hut.

1900 - Warrior from hut.

1775- Wonderwhoring gogogo:

1625 - Super-fast:

1450 -

1050 - Of course the first GP has to be a spy. Still good to settle with Representation.

425 - This is Babylon:

275 - GProphet settled.

65 - Dur-Kurigalzu:

55 AD - 75 gold from last hut.

85 AD - This one with some chopping:

100 AD - And Nippur:

Empire:

Capital:

Emp/epic, to 1550, all rivals met:

Spoiler :

205 - GS builds academy.

310 - HE unlocked vs barbs.

325 - Manually researched philo and I'm first:

625 - GS settled.

820 - GS bulbs Edu. This one from my second city, 100% scientists.

835 - Borsippa:

900 - GS settled.

1010 - Nothing amazing, but still a decent research boost:

1090 - GS settled.

1150 - Sippar:

1200 - Opis:

1240 - Astro from Lib:

1285 - GS settled.

1325 - Mari:

1360 - I'm on a hurry to fill my island. Augustus has astro. Shushan:

1405 - And Eshnunna. Wow, Augustus border over here. Is he THAT huge? Nope, he's settled a tiny island:

1415 - And finally the continent is filled:

1470 - GS settled.

1550 - At this point I'm still missind an indian leader. Can see him on the map, but didn't meet him yet. So I send a galleon over there and find a hopeless backward Gandhi. Hello first target.

Empire:

Techs. Hindu club is doing well. Augustus is running FR now, but I guess he was friend of Freddie and Mansa.

Glance. Charlie and Mansa just signed peace:

Capital. Very lucky with Great People so far:

Military. I'll build a few frigates and wipe Gandhi with cuirassiers:

Noble, normal, to 1520 BC.
Spoiler :

I went mysticism > masonry > first while building a worker to get stone online ASAP and build stonehenge. Then pottery > writing for granary and library, so I could start running a pair of scientists as soon as possible; I lucked out with a Great Scientist at 65%-35% against. After that the tech path was the more conventional mining > BW > hunting > AH. Two huts popped from city expansion and I got the last two with a scout after hunting; all 4 netted a warrior and 148 gold. I am now working on math > currency > CoL.

I've just whipped the first settler in 1520 BC, which seems slow to me, and am deciding where to send him:
Spoiler dotmap :
Brown ought to be a good commerce city; gets one more FP if it moves 1S where the blue circle suggests it go, but trades desert for grassland. I was wondering if either purple or red made a decent GP farm? Red is far away and its grassland isn't farmable until CS but has better food resources.

Without much in the way of happiness resources I'm thinking the Expansive trait and the Gardens won't help much in the early game, but am taking hope in r_rolo1's comment about being good for the late game.

Dalamb:

Spoiler :

I've planned my Gp farm in your red spot, but it's too far and delayed it until much later in the game. You can still get a couple GS in Babylon. It has enough food to run a couple scientists and start working some cottages.

But you seem very slow. 1520, no second city, capital still at 3 pop and just started the Pyramids. At that point I had two city and the third wonder on the way.

I think mining/bw first is the best opening here. You want to mine those hills asap.

Hi

Noble, Marathon, 1320 AD, checkpoint 2--settled out my continent and met all the other AI's

Spoiler :
Just settled in place and stared a worker while teching mining/bw--copper in the bfc so that pretty much ment bowmen werent gonna be built hehe.

Nothing eventful during the early part. Got some gold from huts but no techs. Got stonehenge and 'mids and glh and collossus. Oracle got done before I could get to it and didnt bother with GW.

After filling out landmass AI's started to show up. Auggie turns out to be VERY close. I got some caravals out and managed to win map race. Met all the other AI's. They ALL one big buddhist family but I am confuisist but I managed to get AP built so I dont have to worry about ap headaches and even with diff religions pretty much all the AI's are easy to get along with so hopefully no backstabbing until I start doing it hehe :p

Here is my empire at this point:

City placement sucky as usual but hopefully not TOO sucky.

Graphs:

and demos:

Economy is decent but really need to work on military now. I put it off a lil longer than I probably should have just cuz like I said none of the AI's really all THAT much of war types so not to worried about them coming at me anytime soon.

tech sitch:

I lost out on oracle but won lib race and seem to be ok techwise. Only down music and it just like 3 turns or so to get it. I'll resarch that next to get Mil Trad so I can start on some curiassors then cavs and get a navy going and then need to think about who to go after.

Auggie is the closest but Ghandi all off by himself so he might be nice target to go and take his island frist. Plus I have another bone to pick with him:

What is up with THIS?? babylon is a MUCH nicer city thank you very much :p. It has TONS more wonders and only ONE pop less and it number 2?? Something is going to HAVE to be done bout that b4 this game is over. Ghandi must be bribing the rankers or SOMETHING so he need to be taken out just for cheating hehe :p

Anyways I will make final decision after I get some kind of military going.

That pretty much it. Nothing else really interesting happen. Closest thing was this:

HC must have REALLY wanted silk hehe. But it didnt last. 10 turns later he canceled it and now wont give up marble for nething. Oh wells. Gamewise everything else pretty quiiet. My economy been pretty stable whole game so I guess that counts as taking advantage of org trait. Never built a bowman tho. Not only was copper in BFC but then two events happened. One event gave all melee cover, then another gave axes shock. So with a barracks and ag trait that meant c1,c2,shock,cover axes right out of the box and I liked those better for barb busting duty than bowmen hehe.

So thats it for now. I seem to be doing ok so hopefully I will get a win out of this. Wish me luck :)

Kaytie

@ Kaytie
you might want to move up a level you know(or two)? Top 5 cities in the world is based on culture and pop, i suspect your city is lower in both(wonders really doesn't matter).

Well, I suit up for my 4th straight immortal LHC win...

To Check II 1360 AD

Spoiler :
I move the settler about until I wind up settling a bit awkwardly:

We have the food tech and wheel so straight to masonry through mining, for:

Annoyingly I miss SH by 1 turn, but it's good for some cash then. I grab some cities and then:

And since we have stone a little extra effort for:

Despite rep I still use a lot of cottages here. After CS and the essential calendar/currency I head down for optics/astro directly. I get beat to lib, beat to circumnavigation, and can barely trade the astro line.

Check III/IV 1912 AD
Spoiler :

Nevertheless, I get democracy in time to trade it once or twice, then opt for the UN. Oooh, I shouldn't have gone for rifles first. I missed UN to freddy by 2 turns. At the time he built it, I was #1 in pop and charlie, who was hated, was #2. If I build that, freddy, mansa, HC, and AC all vote for me and I win in the 1700's. But no, fred builds it and draws MM's vote :(. Well, that means I need a plan B. Gandhi was going culture, and I'm not running away in tech (though competitive). I decide to forgo tech, and suit up for some war. I actually skipped factories in this since my empire was so cottage heavy. I just used the gold multipliers + my cottages. Not efficient w/o kremlin, but very fast to set up with towns everywhere already and hardly terrible.

I get to marines before gandhi gets infantry, but he signed a DP with fred. I used some gold to bribe Fred to war with Charlie, who'd declared on MM. This opened up a lane for:

Combat II/pinch marines actually beat infantry unless it's got a lot of CG. Much of gandhi's troops are still rifles at first. Only Delhi goes legendary, and I convert some of the UN pop my way...

During this time MM/Fred wanted me to declare on charlie, and I complied. Might as well keep diplo OK. After wiping gandhi it was close:

I run some more $$ rush after teching arty, and move on charlie. Industrialism/arty is a great great break point tech. Once you get that nobody has means to slow you up until mech infantry/modern armor, although properly promoted tanks frequently beat the stoopid AI mech infantry. Anyway, Charlie, being hated, was still in front of me, but no robotics. I move in

I grab some pop from cities, and he's already willing to capitulate. Obviously I don't do that because it would screw diplo, but I was set to completely obliterate him then turn on culture/space whore freddy to burn berlin...except I knew I'd win just by taking a few of charlie's cities.

Ok. So, what does a long period of cash rush do on immortal? Puts you behind in techs.

But the object of the game is to win, not have a tech lead. Yay for my 4th!

Check point 1

Hairy Hammurabi, exiled to his island home, has decided to take revenge upon those who would remove him from “greater” society.

Spoiler :

Upon surveying his initial lands, and hearing the ocean close by, he moves the warrior to the Plains hill for a better view.

Spoiler :

As were isolated on an island, and because river access is only available by the sea, with 3 hills to mine (1's a Quarry, Anvil) and I want the Great lighthouse, I move 1 SE to access the sea, river, wheat, 2 hills, stone quarry on a plains hill, and keep the flood plains. I'm probably giving up a food resource, but I'll move the capital and I'm going to farm the flood plains anyway.

Spoiler :

I settle 1 SE, invalidating the revealed fish for another city, but minimizing the sea tiles, overall I'm happy, I'll move the capital later anyway inland, so this will be my science city/Great person farm.

Initial techs are hunting/mining, then its, masonry, fishing, sailing. Subject to resources found.

3640 BC Point of note, on a hill, my warrior is attacked by a lion, and reduced to 0.1 health, takes woodsman 1 and heals in a forested hill, 1 south. :gripe: damm lions.

2980 BC I start building the Great Wall, I don't intend to complete it, its only for the :gold:, my worker completes his 3rd farm and moves to Quarry the stone as Masonry is now in.

2680 BC I have the Island mapped out, I've place 14 cities, 2 fillers and 12 main cities. All bar 2 are coastal.
Spoiler :

Moving my capital actually invalidated 2 Fish resources for other cities, but such is the life of a hair ball.

Wonders aimed for: Stonehenge, Pyramids, Oracle, GLH, Aesthetics's wonders, GL'y, Angkor Wat, etc. Basically, most of the stone wonders, Oracle if I beeline, Metal casting grabbed.

Delay Civil service, No Meditation, and try to double bulb Astronomy.

Future research is, Priest hood, pottery,(Oracle+ Metal casting), fishing/sailing (Great Lighthouse), 3 C's Calendar last, → Optics, double bulb Astronomy. Run Caste system, max Scientists, Rep with Pyramids.

Emperor/Normal to 1937 (loss)
Spoiler :
Played the whole game without building any army at all - build the AP and was going to try and see if i could get my first AP victory - messed it up. Built the UN too but couldnt win that way so i tried to build the spaceship. It was a very boring game so i was pretty much just hitting enter as fast as i could. Fred launched his ship right after i did - but he had 2 engines. I wasn't really paying attention.

Monarch/Epic Checkpoint 1

Spoiler :

settled 1SE

research path: pottery, mining, masonry, hunting, archery, myst, BW, med, priesthood,

huts: 267 gold total

2225BC built Stonehenge

1800bc built The Great Wall

Capital:
Spoiler :

Island:
Spoiler :

Hi

Noble, Marathon, 1668 AD, checkpoint 3ish.

Spoiler :
Ok I'm minding my own business trying to build up a military so I can go attack somebody. Not sure yet at that point, either Auggie or Ghandi I'm thinking.

Then I notice HC starting to go into wheooh mode. I'm figure he making plans to go after ghandi. Ghandi weaker, closer, and they dont get along to good. True he DID make some silly demands for free techs and gold and stuff but that was when my power was lower. Not really sure WHAT he was demanding tho cuz ever since he cancled giving me marble after JUST ten turns I not EVEN bothering to read what he have to say I just click him off -- the lil marble tease. And anyways since his demands I been building cav and rifles and cannon.

I get a LIL fraked after teching steam and NOOOO coal grrr. That seems to make it evem MORE important that I go take some. So I keep building untis and a navy. I tech out sci meth so I can see if I have oil. And luckily I do, And then I get lucky and coal pops in Babylons BFC yay :)

So I keep building and teching. I am actually getting some of the late freebie gp's for a change too. I got the pysics GS. And I got the commie gpsy. A cpl of GA's spawn too so I use one for a GA then later after I get gspy I burn him and the other ga for another one. I get AL all done and start building fctories and then infantry when all of a sudden That lil marble teasing silly hat wearing dillhole HC DoW's on ME grrrrr. He even bribes Freddie and his vassal to join in.

Now you would THINK if you gonna DoW someone you'd do it when they are at like .7 of your power and NOT after they spend a few dozen turns building up and are now 1.6 times your power. Especially with weak lil ghandi so close by. Well that not what HC was thinking. For some reason even though he SHOULD have figured out I was already more than a lil annoyed at him for the whole marble thing, he decides to go poke the bear and see what happens. He comes in a drops off a weenie lil stack of a cpl of knights a crossbow and some cats and trebs. My infantry guys pretty much think its beneath them when they go over and stomp em. But they kill em off.

Now one thing HC DID manage to accomplish tho was he gave ghandi and auggie a lil reprieve. He wanted to see what happens this is what happens:

My stack still really about only half the size it should be for taking over his empire but I DONT care. After I get combustion done transports can shuttle in extra infantry while I tech flight and then can start airlifting.

The lil marble tease wanted to see what happens? Well what is gonna happen is I am gonna TAKE his marble, his metals. his seafood, his livestock his cities. He gonna be lucky if I let him keep his silly little hat beofre I kill him off. And THAT is my game strategy at this point. KILL HC. After that I am not sure. Most likely take over rest of continent after I am done with HC and then see if that enuff to get dom win then decide from there. BUT win lose or draw no matter what else gonna be involved with final strategy killing HC gonne be BIG part of it hehe.

Here is what my empire looks at this point:

The cities are kinda sicky and sad atm but they should get better once I get all of HC's resources. I do have Mining and Sushi going to I just need to spam out the execs to my cities and they should help get thing smoving along.

Graphs:

close up on power:

MUCH better than where it was at last report :)

Demos:

Starting to pull ahead now and hopefulling I can keep on pushing lead

Tech sitch:

Better than it usually is for me at this point. NORMALLY AI seems to LOVE teching out sci meth and physics and beelining commie but since I got them first this game they dont seem all that interested in getting those techs as much. NOOO clue why.

Right now I am just down Mil Sci on some of them but Im not that worried, Infantry isnt scraed of grenadiers and the SoL are causing SOME probs for my frigates but as soon as combustion gets teched out they wont be a prob anymore.

The warzone:

HC already lost 3 cities including his cap and he can plan on losing the rest cuz I have a NO VASSAL policy for dillholes who DoW on me grrrrr.

Close up of HC's cap:

Other than some settled gp's not REALLy all that great even the wonders are all useless. GW not much help at this point, chicken not all THAT much help even when it NOT obsolete and I just flippin HATE Angry Wat. If I knew that thing was there I would have given SERIOUS thought to just razing the thing. Going through city by city to put priest which they INSIST on doing whenever that thing is active BACK to engineers is MAJORLY annoying.

At least ONE nice thing has happened:

City rankers wised up and realized babylon is nicer city than Dehli :). ALthough really in my UNBIASED opinion I think even Dur -whatchamacallit should be higher than delhi too :p

So anyways that where my game is at this point and my plan for victory. The wipe-out-HC-then-whatever-I-think-I-should-do-next-to-win-but-dont-really-care-what-as-long-as-HC-is-dead-first-plan. Not really sure if there is a guide for a plan like that but it is what I am going with so wich me luck :)

Kaytie

Kaytie, how are you still on Noble?

She isn't...she's playing 2-3 difficulties below her level. Everything I see about the tech rate, position, and military dominance in her posts tells me that she could blow out monarch student games...

I can understand it though, I frequently do that for fun also...games like the one I posted in this thread are fun struggles, but walking all over opposition is fun in its own way too.

Hi

aww you dont see my offline games for every game I win I still get whomped LOTS of times. I AM getting better I think now I am getting to a 60%-70% win where even a month or so ago I was still just 50%.

It just that wins pretty much ALWAYS make you look good cuz there is a tipping point point where once you get a lead it just snowballs getting bigger and at same time since your taking land, cities, resources form the AI's as you get stronger they get weaker so by end it looks a LOT more lopsided than it is. Trick is getting to THAT snowball point which is no gurantee for me. When it DOES happen yeah it can be romp but when it doesnt it can get VERY ugly.

There still LOTS I need to learn before I wanna try prince. especially now that I just starting to have more games where I feel I have a handle on things than the ones where I am banging my head on keyboard the whole time. I want to enjoy that awhile before I go up a notch and back to where everygame gets ugly and I am getting qwerty tatooed on my forehead :p

Kaytie

Check point 2

Our hair ball ruler, decides that a man is not an island, and as such, he desires to meet the “Greater Society” of the world.

Spoiler :

Tech path is Archery, Bronze working, Priesthood, Sailing with fill in tech's as appropriate.

1st stone wonder achieved,
Spoiler :

Start on 2nd settler now, this will go by floodplains and take over settler/worker generation.

1st hut pops with culture for 174 gold.

After much deliberation, I move my planned 2nd city, to where the computer puts the blue circle.

Spoiler :

It has the same floodplains and Hills to mine of the same type, but can share the Quarried stone, the wheat, and is on a river for extra commerce, and levy's. This also reduces the Desert tiles taken in the BFC. This city will be my settler/worker pump, and as such, need to get up to max pop ASAP.

The hut was popped for a map :rolleyes:

1600 BC I get the health event, and achieve +2 health with no deaths.

1570 BC I FINALLY cash in on the Great wall, I've been sitting on 1 turn since 2500 BC OMFG.

The health event has drastically slowed the building of the Oracle, I hope it doesn't mean I'll lose it now, as I had it timed with Bronze working previously.

1470 BC I Adjust the builds so; the Oracle, bronze working and the city shrinking all coincide in 4 turns. Damm health event came at a bad time, and I had a barb archer pillage the wheat as well.
Spoiler :

1440 BC I'm now 1 off the Oracle, bronze working and shrinkage. As I have 2 unhappy already, I'll just have to wear the shrinkage. A Granary is queued next to bring back pop quickly along with slavery civic. I'll take metal casting as my free tech.

Spoiler :

I really thought I'd messed up badly there, barb archer pillaging my wheat, and getting the health event at that critical time, and the -2 unhappy is a GIVEN, not an option, but wears off eventually, +60 turns..

1170 BC The Temple of Artemis, was just BIADL. :hmm: seems about on time. Didn't really think I had a shot, but had to try, but never got started. Granary and forge were 1st, then its Pyramids and Great Lighthouse goes in front once I have sailing, along with a lighthouse 1st.

Both cities are going to grow into unhappy, but that's due to the health event, and runs out in 17 turns anyway. I could have grabbed CoL's off Oracle, but I need the hammers for my stone wonders as well, so I went forges, as its also on my beeline path for Astronomy.

I pop my 1st great person, I'll save him to be merged into my Capital city I plan 2 west of the wheat and north of the middle mountain range. This is mainly grassland, and will be my cottaged, bureaucracy capital, extra hammers and gold is worth the wait.

Spoiler :

920 BC I have my 1st :mad: moment, the GLH is BIADL I should know by now I need to beeline it more. I better not lose the Pyramids as well. 6 turns left of sailing, I change to Mathematics for the Hanging gardens, then currency or iron working, depends on financial situation, I need calender as well, maybe MoM isn't out of Question.

700 BC :mad: I lose the Pyramids race, and receive 1206 gold for my troubles..aaarrrggghhh. Confucianism was founded IADL as well. Now I'm really Peeved. From what I thought was an easy wonder spamming game, I'm now behind badly. Better get my Astronomy beeline.

470 BC I'm running at 100%, breaking even. I decide to research Calender next as I'll need the happy from the silk, and I need it for my Astronomy beeline. 6 turns on Sailing, then calender. After that, CoL's for Caste system, then optics, I start building a Aquaduct for the Hanging Gardens as well, I need more cities and defenders for them.

Another hut pops with cultural border expansion, for 147 gold, I'm now running +1 at 100% with 1500+ gold in the kitty. I now realize I could have whipped the Pyramids, but I was so sure of building them I didn't even keep a track, slack play.

250 BC My first GG has been B(orn)IADL *Sings* “Born in a DISTANT LAND...”

40 BC I pop my 2nd great Profit :faint:, and merge into Capital city, still 100% positive, making 2 settlers for hanging gardens boost, chop and whip them, calender due in 6 turns.

110 AD I build the Hanging Gardens, and I have 6 cities taking benefit of it, I'd have liked 8-9 but didn't want to lose it, already delayed by 3 turns to get extra cities settled.

Spoiler :

I'm forgetting the Great library, mistake, maybe, but I want that Astronomy beeline. Toaism was just bulbed by someone as well, as a Great Scientist was only just birthed.

200 AD How ironic, I build the Colossus, and I plan to Obsolete it with Astronomy bulbing. As well the 3 Aesthetics wonders all fell in quick Succession.
Spoiler :

300 AD MoM is BIADL, I had 56 turns to go on it, I didn't seriously think I had a chance, golds nice. Build some archers/workers now.

360 AD I do a round of whipping, and revolt to caste system next turn, most overflows from whipping go into Workers. All way's need more workers, and settlers too.

460 AD Holy crap Bat Man, Islam was just founded INDL. I think we have a religious fanatic, or a cultural run early.

665 AD I Pop a Great Engineer at 20% odds, I burn him on Machinery to save 32 turns, and hurry up optics, seems I'll have to self research ½ of Astronomy.

Spoiler :

I have a change of heart, employ some scientists, which I forgot to do, and decide to merge him into my future Iron works city, saving 1 turn. This is my Worker pump, which hasn't met expectations.

750 AD I take the Barbarian city of Minoan, pop 9, very nice, no buildings, but a farmed Wheat plot, and a plantation on the Silk, complete with 2 workers running wild, for the loss of 2 swords.

Spoiler :

I also attacked the barb spear guarding the hut with another sword, popping it for 1 barb Warrior, who I hope attacks my Woodsman 2 warrior. :lol:

I'm playing badly again, when I lost the Pyramids, I should have beeline Monarchy, would have solved my pop happy limits, more pop, more scientists, more research quicker. I now finish the 1 turns on Machinery, and move to Monarchy, for the winery, Monarchy, and because I'm so foolish.

I pillage all the improvements about the city, as it'll shrink anyway, gain some money, pillaging cottages (YEAH :evil:), plantations, 1 village and 1 hamlet.

I've now just realized,. I should have built setters out of Minoan, and as such not lost 3 pop, while awaiting Monarchy, so dumb.

935 AD I get the Barbarian uprising event, 4 spear spawn by my fog busting workers, and my resting woodsman 2 warrior and sword with combat 2, anti Melee. Good thing I was looking to build troops for Hereditary rule Happiness. Here's hoping that they all suicide on my woodsman 2 warrior.

Spoiler :

Well, they ended up 2 suiciding on my defending bowman in Minoan and 2 were killed by my swords in the open, they just beelined Minoan, I got a city raider 3 sword out of it, and Heroic epic.

950 AD Just great, I meet Charlie,

Spoiler :

and his VASSAL Mansu Mansa

I also notice SE of Moai statues, a boarder that may or may not have triggered the meeting, Mansa has compass, but Charlie doesn't. Not as bad as I first thought. Probably worse :faint:

Spoiler :

Bisporria Pops its borders, and what do I see to the SW, Horsies...Pony rides, what's a pony worth anyway?? you English could tell us all???

Spoiler :

Well, its been fun, being chased about the Island by a barb galley, but as they have already killed one work boat, I forgot about, I have to go home now.

1030 AD I don't believe it, I pop another Great Engineer at 20% odds or something, I was counting on a Great Scientist at 50%+ odds. He gets merged into Worker pump as well, my future Iron works city.

Spoiler :

I meet Augustus Caesar, another stem head, exile me will you. I'm coming Ceasar, beware the ides of March, or just the March of my troops. :devil:

Spoiler :

Next stem of the bunch is Frederick, I meet and greet him, he came up from the SE, I'll find out soon enough where.

Spoiler :

Currency is now in, back to compass/optics, Sigh, no great Scientists.

1205 AD I send out my Galley, full health, to kill a barb galley at 0.6 health, and I'm reduced to 0.4 health for the Privilege, Thanks very much. I don't know what these barb galley's are fighting, but they've scored Combat 2 previously with 3, now there's only 2, and 1.5 health, and the one I killed at 0.4 Health

I'm playing badly again, I'm so used to Pyramids, I can't play any other way. I'm seriously considering restarting and beelining Monarchy, maybe after this game.

I'm even now thinking of either a space race, come from behind win, or just march and kill, with my Hammer economy.

2 stems to go, Frederick, is the Confucian Pariah, with the others and MEEEE!!!! Buddhist.

Next is our Incan Friend,

Spoiler :

Fiend more like it, I only just played him in a Huge map game, Most fun I've had in quite a while. I rushed Sitting Bull with Quencha's, Killed Charlie AFTER he declared war on me, when I was building up to kill him, with Currisairs, pegged back ME (Hammurabi) with Calvary, then declared on Kublai Khan, he got quite a shock, Killed him, eliminated Hammurabi and controlled the continent to myself. I made, in the end 14 K research /turn. Granted I'd put all 80+ cities onto research, as I had nothing else to build.

Space ship parts took MAX 13 turns for the Engines in my 3rd and 4th hammer cities. Others only took 6-9 turns for a 6K Hammer part. Gold, I made 5K per turn, 2.5K from my capital, 2 corporations and buddhist shrine. In the end, I got bored waiting for the space ship landing, declared on Gilgamesh, vassalized him and gifted him 2.5 K/turn gold.

Needless to say, I was a monster, both stone/marble=Most wonders, 4 gold mines and 2 capitals at 2000BC and I was able to culturally block off the Northern ½ of my continent to myself. I only settled some late cities in the ice, with Mining corp/Cereal mills. Fun fun fun, in the sun.

Err back to this game. Losing heart, you see, 1 more stem to find, Hyuana was a Confucian as well.

The last Stem, is a Real Stem head its;
Spoiler :

Lone Hindu, and I can get some value for Code of laws off him, better check worst enemies first.

A shot of the Relations between them all.

Spoiler :

Notice the defence pact, Caesar, researched Military tradition, shortly after I met him, as next time I checked him (under 10 turns from 1st met, he had defence pact enabled.)

Well that's all 6 Met and Greeted. I'm so MAD at my self for not beelining Monarchy, such a simple mistake. As I said, I'm so caught up on Pyramids, and I assumed I'd get them with out having to Monitor.

Any way, its off to the Pizza shop for Dinner, its Sunday night, I'm hungry, and I want a glass of wine or 3 with dinner, so

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PEOPLE.

ITS going to get REAL HAIRY NOW.

Hairy is as Harry does, I actually went back to check point 1, reloaded and played for a short while to see the difference by beelining Monarchy. I did better with the larger cities earlier on, but as I only rush played it, I didn't settle half the Island, lost a city to the barbs, never took the barb city, and in the end was declared upon by
Spoiler :
the Confucian Augustus Caesar, the other Buddhists, were pleased with me, Gandhi, was a no show as of 1300's Probably dead.

So I can pull it out, I have the cities, I just need astronomy, and to hold it or trade it about. :lol::rolleyes::mad::dunno:

Top Bottom