Events Exploit

Earthling

Deity
Hi, I'd like to bring up the issue of the exploit discovered by the Mad Scientists related to events in this game. Daveshack has asked for a team vote and AFAIK we haven't discussed this at all. Basically the issue is that a team can "cancel" any event they get by ctl-alt-del or similar methods. What has been proposed, since the opinion of some teams is that nothing can be enforced otherwise, are the following:

1) Teams must take their events and the turnplayer handles them (not popular among anyone from discussion, because it is felt that "cheating" will still happen)

2) Teams only take positive events and cancel negative ones (Saturn recently endorsed this).

3) All events must be canceled; no events will be acted on (I personally favor this, again I have no clue what the rest of the team thinks).

So it looks like other teams are voting to only allow positive events, but discussion died down a while ago and there was no conclusion. I am very strongly against (2) because I feel events are imbalanced in the first place, and this solution does nothing for events one team gets that harm the other team. As I was mentioning to Lord Parkin, a vote for "Events" as the teams originally had is not the same as "only positive events" in my eyes at least. Losing the element of risk and still not knowing what all events can be canceled (like partisans for razing cities, uprisings, "wounded soldier peace"...) makes this solution seem rather poor to me. It's at least as any to enforce no events, period, too.

But it would be nice if the team had more input on this, at the very least we should respectfully put forward a vote like the other teams so the issue can be resolved.

Nope, AFAIK if an event happens it's recorded in the log, don't think teams can erase another team's log so it could easily be reported (or at the very least by an honest player on the same team).

Edit: I think with any solution we're still going to have a lot of teams complaining about misclicks, at least for a while - "someone tried" to take an option or cancel it or whatever and something still happens. The problem that I brought up before is we still don't even know what events can be "canceled," or if how often the game would crash (in this case especially (1) may be a lot easier, but teams would complain about unfairness).

Checking logs and trying to police either (1) or (3) sounds like a pain.

I'd vote for (2) - teams can accept or cancel whichever events they want (and are able) to; it gives the same rules to all teams and requires no enforcing.

As long as the rules are fair to all and have no in-built bias to any particular team (including no bias against honest teams ;)) then that's probably the most pragmatic (and fairest) approach.

Then we just all make a note to try the 'ctrl-alt-delete' trick if we get an unfavourable event pop-up as the turnplayer.

Has to be 2, though really, everyone should should just have accepted the wisdom of the Cavaleiros in the first place and kept events off. :p

What Renata said. :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^

You know, we actually voted for events on...:lol:

(I was in the dissenting minority - I prefered barbarians... but then the other teams' majority got barbs on too).

Did we really? I thought it was barbs, but no events; guess it was the other way around. Okay, the wisdom of the Cavaleiros' wiser members, then. :D

Anyone want to post in the main forum then that our team endorses option 2? - namely, teams are free to ignore events they don't like and handle events they do however they see fit. If anyone objects say so here, if not by tomorrow I'd guess we have a consensus.

I think we are agreed. I'll go post our decision.

Top Bottom