IS Domination Broke or...

IAM

Emperor
Is Domination Victory broken or is it just me. Almost every game that I am coming up on Domination victory I'll have 35% to 40% land area and already be at 50% to 55% population. Partially I understand that in attacking an AI I capture mostly their best cities which ussually are higher population.

It just seems that perhaps the thresholds should be different. OR am I the only one in this situation... if so; advice? :run:

Move up a difficultly level. If you're already playing at Deity, don't start your wars until the Renaissance.

Getting the population limit is easy. By having the huge difference you can milk your score by really increasing your population while not crossing the land limit until later. If a high score is not what your looking for, then switch to slavery and slave away that excess population. It will make capturing the needed land easier.

You can always edit the VictoryInfos file and set them to whatever percentages you want...

@ OP - It’s not just you but it’s not everybody. I find culture and space the easiest.

Is Domination Victory broken or is it just me. Almost every game that I am coming up on Domination victory I'll have 35% to 40% land area and already be at 50% to 55% population. Partially I understand that in attacking an AI I capture mostly their best cities which ussually are higher population.

It just seems that perhaps the thresholds should be different. OR am I the only one in this situation... if so; advice? :run:

I have noticed the same thing, when I go for domination I hit the required population % long before I get near the required land %. But from looking at the victory conditions screen, the AIs don't. If anything it's the reverse, they seem to do slightly better with their land % than their pop %. So maybe the required % are set that way on purpose, to give the AI a (very slight) chance of ever getting a domination win.

@ OP - It’s not just you but it’s not everybody. I find culture and space the easiest.

X2. But throw in diplomatic as easy too. Domination forces you to manage a large empire while the rest allow you to win with very few cities - less planning - less managing - and hitting enter for a longer period of time until you win.

Yeah, most of my wins have been cultural and domination, but domination feels more tedious to achieve since at a certain point victory's very likely but getting it requires knockin' a few more heads. I wouldn't lower the percentages personally, because they're lonly a rough indicator of what's going on but I know what it feels like to see the stats creep slowly towards the right percentage...

I've wondered that too, but I think it's to balance out with diplo win.

So, in my current game, after my recent conquests, I was sitting around 58% pop, but still only maybe 40-45% of landmass. In that case, I decided to turtle up, grab the UN, and coast to an easy UN win (since I had like 4 vassals, I knew I could get the votes), instead of going for the other 20% of the land that I would have needed.

The key to a domination win is you dominate the land. UN win means you dominate in population. Often times it's easier to get conquest than domination (especially on a map like Earth 18). If domination was also based on pop, then you could just turtle up, farm everything, and make your cities grow bigger, even if you're on a smaller continent.

I got domination on a duel... size matters!
That was the best game I ever played-- but my gold was absolutely ZERO, my sci slider was also, and I lost like seven units from "an axeman unit has been disbanded for insuffiecient funds"
I was Byzantanium, vs Alexander
I had like thirty cities

Top Bottom