CivPedia Thread

tyranny12

Chieftain
A community work to fill in the Civpedia for Orbis additions. The full list of missing entries is posted in this thread (posts 3, 4 and 5.)

----------------

I skimmed the end of the last thread, and the number of people who mentioned the Civo-pedia discrepancies was numerous. I see them too - both for fluff and for data.

I'm proposing we use this thread to list entries that need fluff or accurate data entered, so we can tackle them. Preferably, the only other comments on this thread will be clarifications and proposed changes to be put into CivPedia.

If possible, we can keep a list going of the really long-term or big entries. I don't have the chance to contribute much of anything for about a week, so I'll just reserve two spots (fluff and data/mechanics) for now.

Maybe someone can post the civilipedia entries without proper stories here so people can com and by while leaving stories behind

[EDIT: List removed to remove any confusion. The real list is in another castle.]

It would probably be a good idea if Ahwaric would post some brief outlines about how he envisions the various guilds. Perhaps also an example on how the style of writing he prefers?

Steam Tank: You are saying that you can make that contraption move by lighting a fire in it? Excellent work, I want 50 of this by next month
-Verrochio to an unnamed Adeptus.

The Berserker's Pit: Although the Doviello's are well known for their barbaric attacks on Amurite Settlements, it is not well known what they do in their homeland. Instead of peaceful sports that many other nations in Erebus enjoy to play, these barbarians enjoy battle and blood, an to satisfy their need for blood in the time of peace, they build a great pit where warriors, often more than 2, fight eachother in a match. Often times, the players suffer injuries and sometimes even death, but the Doviello seem not to notice them.

It would probably be a good idea if Ahwaric would post some brief outlines about how he envisions the various guilds. Perhaps also an example on how the style of writing he prefers?
I think it will. I will probably post them in the following days. I wanted to make a thread so that I would have control on the list what has been done and what not, but as I do not like doubling threads, I might just post it in changelog thread. Fits (sort of) and there are plenty of space that I am not using atm
Steam Tank: You are saying that you can make that contraption move by lighting a fire in it? Excellent work, I want 50 of this by next month
-Verrochio to an unnamed Adeptus.
Steamtanks are Khazad unit, too. BUt I like it, will add it in c.
The Berserker's Pit: Although the Doviello's are well known for their barbaric attacks on Amurite Settlements, it is not well known what they do in their homeland. Instead of peaceful sports that many other nations in Erebus enjoy to play, these barbarians enjoy battle and blood, an to satisfy their need for blood in the time of peace, they build a great pit where warriors, often more than 2, fight eachother in a match. Often times, the players suffer injuries and sometimes even death, but the Doviello seem not to notice them.
It is ok, I might rewrite it in a "traveller's guide" (or his biography) style...
"My travels brought me to barbarian city of Frijgard..."

I think it will. I will probably post them in the following days. I wanted to make a thread so that I would have control on the list what has been done and what not, but as I do not like doubling threads, I might just post it in changelog thread. Fits (sort of) and there are plenty of space that I am not using atm

Do you want to shutdown this thread and start your own? By all means - we'll transpose over that excellent list above.

My entry for the Griffon Knight

You see that scar, boy ? No, not the one that ripped of my nose, the one accros my eye. Got that in the battle of Carail facing of a Griffon Knight. Griffon Knights, horrible, they left only me and ol' Geser standing of a company of 200. With those reflexes of them it's hard enough to beat 'em, but in counter tactics they're the same as ordinary cavalry. Pikeweapons, distance fire and close formations, you know the drill. Even more important is to back of quick, unless of course, you admire my good looks...
-Master-Sergeant Pretty, in front of the Bannor 81st conscripted company during the 3rd Sheaim-troika war of 312-341 AoR

Ratcatcher.

"Aye laddie. So ye wanna be a ratcatcher. S'a tricky job and not to everyone's taste. Ye'll hae to be prepare te get yer han's dirty and there's plenty a people who'll think the worst of ye. Ye'll hae te crawl inna all the wee places where others are no willing to go. Learn to hide inna shadows and all the dark places of the city. Gotta be sneaky on yer feet too, taint no good 'nouncing yerself when's none meant to hea' yer. An' sly. Need to get very sly, cos ye're prey can be a right cunning bugger when 'e wantsa be. Ye got to get of the knowin' when's righ' fer bein' still and when's yer should be fast. An' a guid 'catcher's got ears that'll hear a pin drop on market day. Ye nae ken when ye might catch some bother that ye don't want the handling of. Bu' if a bairn like ye can be as sleekit as tim'rous as a mousie, we mi' craf' a 'catcher of yer yet."

Velvo the Fifth, Landlord of the Bent Nail.

I figured the Ratcatchers are essentially the Thieves Guild, so this description should work on both levels.

Ported from the original thread...

Goliath

What thoughts for the machine? How can you deny the guilt when even your tears stalk the earth crushing those who would oppose its ruin? How cold the sense of isolation when nature lies dead and frost seizes all in its thrall? But for memories of the world as was, would the world always be white? And what would it be worse to surrender the memories of better times or to discard the error that it might be repeated? For when can the pain ever grow numb, when even the escape of dream is denied. Let the memories of all that is hateful, of all the sin and guilt run through the cracks of the earth, that they might burn in the fires beyond.

When Baranaxus, acting on the inscrutable commands that even he did not understand, crafted Ice Golems for the great god Mulcarn, he chose to forget all that he had done, forever cursed to repeat his mistake until Spring dawned upon Erebus. Every regret was ejected in a cascade of sparks, fleeting moments that die upon the wind.

But no sin is truly vanquished without repentance. The shadow thoughts drifted forgotten in dark corners until they found a home they recognised. Settling in the cogs and the camshafts and the gears and the cranks, the first machine spirits were born. Swearing revenge on the gods that had forgotten the world, they sought to bring about new age without gods: the Age of Machines.

All they needed was a body.

Emperor's dagger (I know there should already be an entry for them but just for fun).

"If the Emperor is the Light than we are the shadows, but shadows cannot shine on its own. So we walk the path between light and dark just to make the Light...Shine...Brighter..."

Siege Mage

Dain the Caswallawn was an... Unusual siege mage. Most siege mages will vow by the use of fire, but immolating a structure is not the best way to get through. Which soldier would want to go through a mass of molten rock ? Even if protected by superior wards its still nasty stuff. Therefore Dain came with his own way of getting through. Highly unusual channeling a gate to the Plain of fire in a cloud of Shadow, the resulting explosion following the collision of two magical realms caused knocking out 2 towers, a section of wall and the guard barracks behind them, while the debris was somehow sucked into the Shadowrealm...
-Biographies of the Caswallawns, part XXIX 327-362 AoR
Chapter 8: Dain and the breaking of the siege of Aheptr; Paragraph 7: Shadowfire
Baruk the unrelenting

Prince Ivelleth

"Who's that Elf commanding the elven forces?" " I believe it is a Prince, Ivelleth i believe." "Prince? You mean, he is Arendel's son?" "yes, her second. " " I never imagined an elven prince would fight in the field. " Well Ivelleth is an unsusual one. And a quite talented commander, and without any doubt the greatest swordsman i have ever seen." "No wonder he is commanding an army then" Well his mother didn't agree at first, but Ivelleth is hard to control, if he really wants something. And Ivelleth seems to be a great leader and is really loved by the people aswell, a shame his brother will become king one day and not him, his brother is a fine man to, but not like Ivelleth.
Dwarven Captain, getting strategic information from the commander of the first legion of khâzak, while overviewing the battle for Bruti.

Printing Press

The great contraption strained in its leather straps, chewing phrases and syntax with a voracity that knew no bounds. I could scarce imagine how anything could cage such wondrous ideas and remain indolent in their presence. Even though I knew the press held no sentience, yet still I found myself questioning the wisdom of feeding the machine with the ancient texts. It was only on the fourth run of the machine that we found the word "not" was missing from a key pasage in the Code of Junil and an order for the mysterious Elsfae Clique had to be curtailed when the Gunthe vanished on the late shift. All we found in the morning was a scrap of crimson paper which read Shrdlu! Etaoin Shrdlu!

Karl Burgen, Khazad Machinist

What does "Shrdlu! Etaoin Shrdlu!" mean ?

Battlemage

He reached the top of a modest hill to see down the slope toward the cliff to the Idryn valley. There, the demon phalanx had been met by a unit of Amurite Battlemage company ludicrously small by comparison. But it was not the mundane attack that captivated and horrified: the phalanx was under assault by ritual battle magics. A tornado plucked outof the realm of Air squatted over the unit plucking up demons into its gyring maw. There they twisted, doll-like, limbs flailing, some being swept down to bowl over entire ranks. There they collided and, sometimes, erupted, disappearing in clouds of burst flesh and fragmented armour.

Journals of chanter-master Ferret
Chapter 9 - Utter eastflank of the battle of the Ciriail crossings.
The turning point in the Amurite-Infernal war 344-349 AoR

What does "Shrdlu! Etaoin Shrdlu!" mean ?

I leave that as an exercise to the reader and the search engine of their choice. Suffice to say that it does have a meaning which fits the context.

Handgunner (Shouldn't this be Pistolier?)

What infernal mind come have created such a device? It requires no strength to hold nor skill to aim. It bursts with the crack of the demons whip and runs on the ash of fires burnt dim. The wielder has little need for training and need never view the countenance of his victim. I can only be thankful that the Mechanos are presently engaged against the Bannor and show no interest in our forest lands.

Algas the Mild, Elven Herbalist

Prince Ivelleth

"Who's that Elf commanding the elven forces?" " I believe it is a Prince, Ivelleth i believe." "Prince? You mean, he is Arendel's son?"
Damn, forgot the difference in meaning. Prince Ivelleth was intended to be Duke Ivelleth... (both translate to the same word here :( ) And not Arendells son, just an arrogant aristocrat and a typical high elf (the inferior races this, inferior races that...).
I really need to write the little background I have on all the minor leaders... and other missing pedia entries, too.
Will do it today. Check changelog thread later.
Handgunner (Shouldn't this be Pistolier?)
No. Pistol is a small firearm, and firearm development went from big ones (cannons) to small (arquebuses then pistols). Handgun was bigger and harder to use, but also much earlier.
Also, pistols were less powerfull, so used mostly by cavalry for a short range, while infantry used arquebuses and muskets.
Do you want to shutdown this thread and start your own? By all means - we'll transpose over that excellent list above.
No, it seems to be working ok, and let's not prolify threads without need...

And thanks for the entries people :) Expect many of them in c.

Etaoin Shrdlu - this one will be in for sure :D

Ah it sure is a nice brainbreaker (don't know if it really is a word in English, it just is a direct translation of the Dutch "Hersenkraker" which is a sort of riddle)

Windrider

Fighting against the Amurites ? You're out of your mind, lad, twenty years ago I took part in a naval engagement with ten of 'em Windriders. We outnumbered them three to one, but it was like fighting ten full grown cyclons. Even worse, two days after they wrecked us, they pillaged kingsport harbour. That is supposed to be impossible, given it takes at least five days to get there from the strait of Winden, that is short of using magic...

Recounting of a fishermens tale for a young Lanun sailor
-Anonymous

Top Bottom