Fantasy pack 5: Wood Elves

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
OK, the second faction pack has arrived. By tallying the vote, second pack went to Haroun/Wood Elf faction. By now you should more or less realize what you're getting with each faction pack.

As a whole, the architecture is very tree-centered, including lots of foilage, bark and green/gold rooftops.

To go over the model props in detail:

1) Barracks. Animated trees and glowy red lanterns.

2) Blacksmith and Foundry. Animated trees and smoke effect.

3) City Centers. Animated trees (I actually fixed UV for this one, so my converted buildings will look a bit better than in original game :)).

4) Library and Mage College. Purple glow and particle effects for Mage College. Oh, did I mention animated trees? ;)

5) Market and Workshop. Glowy red lanterns and animated trees. Oh, for some reason, non-animated for Workshop.

6) Religious Buildings. Animated trees. Purple flame in front of the temple.

7) Stone Resource. Animated trees.

8) Wood Resource. Non-animated trees :crazyeye:. Nevertheless, lots of effects - green particles floating around, yellow glow for sawmill, purple glow for converter.

Grab it here!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12058

I love how creative the Kohan Artists were with those low poly, small texture buildings.
definitely worth showing in FfH!

Holy damn! That is incredible! I can't wait to see all your work featured in a mod. BTW, can you briefly explain where you got these from and how?
(Like does the place you got these from use the same graphics systems as CIV?)

They are from Kohan 2, which uses that same graphics engine as Axis & Allies and CIV. Both games were developed by TimeGate Studios and have compatible graphics with Civ4 because they use the Gamebryo engine. He describes them in detail here and here.

Holy damn! That is incredible! I can't wait to see all your work featured in a mod. BTW, can you briefly explain where you got these from and how?

There are actually quite many games that use the same engine as Civ4 (see here for a list); the thing with Kohan 2 and A&A is that not only they use the same engine, but their buildings have about the same level as Civ4 - because that's absolutely not always the case; most other games use either too primitive ones, or too complex ones. Empire Earth 2, which I ripped from before, is a borderline case - the buildings are also nice, but almost too high-poly to use in Civ.

The conversion process still involves lots of model "trimming" - in theory, one can use structures straight from Kohan 2 in Civ (unlike, say, EE2, where the conversion process is long and tedious, and absolutely unavoidable), but the model files have lots of game-specific info and settings, and by purging them all, the model size drops about in half. That's basically what I do.

id love to know how to rip graphics like this, i have dawn of war soulstorm and want the dark eldar buildings so badly!

If you want those, I could rip them for you easy.
I only don't know how to animate them. But I could get them to you in Nif format in under a day. Just PM me a list of what you want from SS.

id love to know how to rip graphics like this, i have dawn of war soulstorm and want the dark eldar buildings so badly!

There aren't many games that have models easily exportable to Civ. For once, Dawn of War has MUCH more detailed models for architecture, and they will just slow Civ to a crawl when used in-game. Also, it is much easier to convert from games that use Gamebryo engine. I empirically found out Kohan 2 and Axis&Allies to be most compatible with Civ when it comes to building conversion.

Top Bottom