Roleplay

Do you roleplay a bit in Civ?

• Yes, I completely roleplay all my games.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • I sometimes make decisions based on roleplaying a bit, but not when it can be gamebreaking

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Some games I do, other games I just want to win.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • No, I always play to win, and all my decisions are made to achieve that.

Votes: 32 30.2%

• Total voters

Stoney the I

Prince
Roleplay: "the changing of one's behavior to assume a role".
(from some online dictionairy)

When I play civ on my comfort difficulty level, I always tend to roleplay a bit.
This can mean a few things:

1. Setting my own goals, besides winning the game. This could be, for instance, never switching from my inital state religion and try to convert the world, by any means. Or never declare war myself, but when declared upon, the enemy must die. completely. If not on the first try then all my efforts go into destroying the aggressor. Defending a friendly (but useless) AI to the death just because they helped me in the past. stuff like that.

2. Go for some historical accuracy. For example: building the hanging gardens in Babylon, even when you dont really need them. Or declaring war on Carthage, when playing rome, every chance you get. Eventually razing their capital.

3. before starting the game setting a goal with the leader you pick. for example : playing as Napoleon and going for a conquest victory no matter what, starting on turn 1. wonders? I'll conquer them. culture? pff.

I do this occasionally to increase the fun factor in civ, to make it feel more epic in a way. Also it adds a personal touch. :)

If I play above my comfort level trying to improve my game, all decisions are made to win the game by any means possible, and I dont do any of the above.

Does anybody else has this quirk from time to time?

no worries, I like blunt :)

Well im not saying civ is perfectly suited for it, im saying I do it anyway sometimes.
and I think live roleplaying (LARP/theatre/drama/etc) is very different from what I ment here.

If 'concept games' to test whether a particular approach is feasible count, I do this very frequently... with restrictions like no cottages, cottages on all available tiles, no research after I can steal techs, only military outside my super-x-cities, no expansion beyond what's needed for national wonders, only using particular civics and so on.

Every game I played had some elements of roleplaying. I'm not playing just to win, or to get the highest score, I'm playing for fun. :)

Ditto.

G

I role-play quite a bit. It's probably why I don't get many wins, everything rarely lines up, the map, the civ, the room to grow.

I started a Viking game the other day with the intention of raiding my neighbors with the UU. I ended up alone at the end of a north south continent with only Sitting Bull far to the north. Thats just about the worst situation for what I wanted to play, other than it being a lonely start.

My girl and I roleplay quite a bit....Oh, wait, you meant in the game? Oh, I never do that; that's just sick. :)

I edited my face into the game to be the units and I have a virtual reality simulator so I can take on the units just like I were them in real life. I KILLED A BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS.

But seriously, I tend to play more Aggressive with leaders like Genghis Khan etc not just because its good to play that way with those leaders but because I'm Genghis Khan and I'll go to hell if I attempt to win by any means that does not involve immense bloodshed, and in reverse for other leaders like Ghandi.

My girl and I roleplay quite a bit....Oh, wait, you meant in the game? Oh, I never do that; that's just sick. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Best post ever.

I occasionally do, and i always defend me and my allies to the death, even if my ally is one city on a 1-tile island against someone like GK or shaka.

I think you'll like Rhye's and Falls of Civilization, with its unique historic victories and powers

I lose too many games because I pick a role and stick with it. guess I like the game more realistic and I find that playing the role helps that.

Roleplay: "the changing of one's behavior to assume a role".
(from some online dictionairy)

When I play civ on my comfort difficulty level, I always tend to roleplay a bit.
This can mean a few things:

1. Setting my own goals, besides winning the game. This could be, for instance, never switching from my inital state religion and try to convert the world, by any means. Or never declare war myself, but when declared upon, the enemy must die. completely. If not on the first try then all my efforts go into destroying the aggressor. Defending a friendly (but useless) AI to the death just because they helped me in the past. stuff like that.

2. Go for some historical accuracy. For example: building the hanging gardens in Babylon, even when you dont really need them. Or declaring war on Carthage, when playing rome, every chance you get. Eventually razing their capital.

3. before starting the game setting a goal with the leader you pick. for example : playing as Napoleon and going for a conquest victory no matter what, starting on turn 1. wonders? I'll conquer them. culture? pff.

I do this occasionally to increase the fun factor in civ, to make it feel more epic in a way. Also it adds a personal touch. :)

If I play above my comfort level trying to improve my game, all decisions are made to win the game by any means possible, and I dont do any of the above.

Does anybody else has this quirk from time to time?

I normally play much as you do, although I would call it " simulating".

I hate playing completely out of character, so I always pick crazy world-conquering nuts or at least those of a military/insidious background.

I also like playing Gandhi and bring lasting peace to the world.

Usually I just play to win, but I do have my quirks. For example having a soft spot for Boudica and always trying to "seduce" her, no matter what the circumstances. Getting her to friendly is both challenging and worth it - she's not the kind of girl to fall for cheap flattery or easy tricks, but if you manage to do it, she's yours to the end. I guess she's got both the looks and the personality!

Yea, yea, I know... Maybe I should consider getting me a REAL girlfriend one of these days? But then I wouln't have so much time to play Civ4, now wouldn't I?

Sometimes I add a roleplay touch or two, but nothing too drastic. On Earth maps, as a European power, I play a self-imposed variant of Colonial Power - no capturing fellow European's cities before a certain date.

Stuff like FfH is a different issue, though.

Top Bottom