Roleplay

Do you roleplay a bit in Civ?

• Yes, I completely roleplay all my games.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • I sometimes make decisions based on roleplaying a bit, but not when it can be gamebreaking

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Some games I do, other games I just want to win.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • No, I always play to win, and all my decisions are made to achieve that.

Votes: 32 30.2%

• Total voters
My civ role-playing would come most from being truly accurate in terms of eras & techs. I always play in Epic speed, in which each era is of about 100 turns. I try to be in-tone with the respective eras by being a tech whore. Lately. I've been able to enter each era within a 10-turn margin, & it becomes increasingly easier the later I play.

When I play in maps based on real locations, I always try to name my cities correspondingly. For example, if I'm playing an Europe map as the English, I'll found London in what would be the Thames river's mouth.

When I play with the civ details corresponding to "Dragonxander Esmeralda, ruler of Draconia", I try to build the equivalent wonders in the corresponding cities, which would be located in similar geographical locations as those I've imagined for them.

If you ask about my vote, I selected the "sometimes make the decisions based on role-playing"; because I don't roleplay every detail (almost all war roleplays I intend to make end failing, so I stick to being the most advanced in my games).

But, I do 'force' the maps to 'roleplay' along: if I find a map based on a particular location & if I find it not accurate enough, I MUST enter the World Builder & make it more accurate to what it's supposed to represent.

Usually I just play to win, but I do have my quirks. For example having a soft spot for Boudica and always trying to "seduce" her, no matter what the circumstances. Getting her to friendly is both challenging and worth it - she's not the kind of girl to fall for cheap flattery or easy tricks, but if you manage to do it, she's yours to the end. I guess she's got both the looks and the personality!

Yea, yea, I know... Maybe I should consider getting me a REAL girlfriend one of these days? But then I wouln't have so much time to play Civ4, now wouldn't I?
Not if that girl is a civ fan. THEN you will be able to play tons of Civ AND have a girlfriend of your likings.

My civ role-playing would come most from being truly accurate in terms of eras & techs. I always play in Epic speed, in which each era is of about 100 turns. I try to be in-tone with the respective eras by being a tech whore. Lately. I've been able to enter each era within a 10-turn margin, & it becomes increasingly easier the later I play.

When I play in maps based on real locations, I always try to name my cities correspondingly. For example, if I'm playing an Europe map as the English, I'll found London in what would be the Thames river's mouth.

When I play with the civ details corresponding to "Dragonxander Esmeralda, ruler of Draconia", I try to build the equivalent wonders in the corresponding cities, which would be located in similar geographical locations as those I've imagined for them.

If you ask about my vote, I selected the "sometimes make the decisions based on role-playing"; because I don't roleplay every detail (almost all war roleplays I intend to make end failing, so I stick to being the most advanced in my games).

But, I do 'force' the maps to 'roleplay' along: if I find a map based on a particular location & if I find it not accurate enough, I MUST enter the World Builder & make it more accurate to what it's supposed to represent.

I'm assuming you don't know the pleasures of having Communism in the 1700s?

Not if that girl is a civ fan. THEN you will be able to play tons of Civ AND have a girlfriend of your likings.

You have a better chance of seeing bigfoot riding a snowplow in the middle of a lake in June.

I always Roleplay to a certain extent, otherwise Civ would drone on and on and on. Each game I play (except Civ forum games) I have a plan or an idea of what I want to achieve, and my actions aren't dictated by what would be the best decision to further my chances of winning the game.

Voted "I sometimes make decisions based on roleplaying a bit, but not when it can be gamebreaking"

Its also more fun to do when playing at 420!

I always play the "No declarations of war on civs that are friendly / pleased with your civ." rule.

I really would like such a rule to be built into the game, maybe getting a massive happiness hit if you do.

I'm assuming you don't know the pleasures of having Communism in the 1700s?
I usually get it by the late 1700s or the early 1800s (communism actually arrives by the late 1800s to early 1900s), but I stay with organized religion & free market. I value my space & cultural victories too much to actually want to engage in a conquering spree that would lead me to needing State Property for such a huge empire.

The one thing I can never help, no matter how things are going in my game, is that I always try to settle on another landmass to form a colony.

Sure, I could keep the cities and be just fine, and in fact it would probably be better for me to do so, but I just love founding colonies. Go figure.

The one thing I can never help, no matter how things are going in my game, is that I always try to settle on another landmass to form a colony.

Sure, I could keep the cities and be just fine, and in fact it would probably be better for me to do so, but I just love founding colonies. Go figure.

Dude, what are you? Some kind of utter freak? :lol:

Yea i notice when I play Portugal, Spain, England, and the other european civs, I tend to look for more unexplored land and throw new cities there and hold on to them as long as I can. I even go on far off continents already populated by other civs and "grab" a nice port city.

Eh, I've never role played to any significant extent. I've befriended certain nations and stayed loyal to them before, but that's about as close as it gets for me.

I haven't tought about if i role-play in civ. But when I think about it I roleplay all the time. In 99% of my games I play Germany, cause I am german in real life, and I always try to have a good relation with Japan. like the Axis-powers in world war two.
When I choose religion, I always try to get christianity and after that to conquer or found Rome and Jerusalem or the closest city to them.
I always build cities on every free terrain, unimportant if it is a one tile island covered with snow in the middle of nowhere or a really god spot. I also try to build a city on cuba to station there troops to later invade the US.
Most of the time I am more agressive towards civilizations who where in the real history enemies of the civilization I play, for example Carthage-Rome, Greece-Persia, Germany-France, US-Indians, China-Japan...

I guess the amount of role-playing really depends on how good a player you are in your current level. If you only win one in a twenty games, you put all your efforts into just winning the game, but when you win most of the time, it's only natural to come up with some challenges of your own making, just to prevent boredom.

I usually get it by the late 1700s or the early 1800s (communism actually arrives by the late 1800s to early 1900s), but I stay with organized religion & free market. I value my space & cultural victories too much to actually want to engage in a conquering spree that would lead me to needing State Property for such a huge empire.

Although Culture doesn't need warring, Space can be greatly helped with more land. More land powers more research. More research means you can get to the Space techs faster. Getting to the Space techs faster results in Making the SpaceShip earlier. Getting it earlier means winning earlier.

Besides, State Property is an absolutely godly civic. Sure you can't run corps, but when you have such a large multi-continent empire that SP lets you bump the slider up 20% and still make a tidy profit it is absolutely amazing.

What I do, I don't consider to be RPing, but you might.

First and foremost, my mission is to make sure I try something different in each game, as in a different strategy. I have a lot of "druthers" - things I almost always do - and then I go and NOT do one of them.

A few frexes:

If there are other significant landmasses, I usually devote a lot of effort to settling the largest one and being the exclusive owner, but then I have also made a point of NOT doing that.

I almost always strive to keep my navy at the peak of technology, and get the circumnavigation bonus, but played a game a while ago where I avoided the naval techs (and still got the bonus, thanks to map-trading).

I also almost always go for maps with a lot of water, but have a few times played maps with much less water, in which navies were pretty much irrelevant.

Now, I may refuse to attack my friends 99% of the time, and infrequently launch attacks against other players, but essentially, what I'm doing isn't role-playing, it's just sampling new ways to play to see if I can learn anything interesting. I used to always go for huge/epic games with lots of naval opportunities, but now I play a variety of map sizes and game lengths and map styles, and haven't played the huge/epic game in quite some time. I build more cottages than I used to. I do all kinds of stuff I didn't originally think had much value.

No one is safe from me, from Annoyed to Friendly, i declare on whatever target presents itself. BUT! I occasionally pick up tight allies (i.e. Izzy) that i usually won't betray. At least until he/she is the only one left.

I am a ruthless VC pursuer. Sometimes to spice things up, I copy other roleplays. Before I got to immortal, I used to shadow the RPC a lot, but even then I was just following the made-up rules since they were rules...abusing anything I could to win after the constraints were met.

Not for nothing, but could we get a mod to change the title of this thread? I had a lady friend over last evening, and she was a bit surprised to discover an email entitled "Roleplay" in my inbox. It was a little awkward ("No, Sweetie, I'm not a pervert; I'm a nerd"). :lol:

I'm not a pervert; I'm a nerd

The two can be combined quite effectively lol.

I guess the amount of role-playing really depends on how good a player you are in your current level. If you only win one in a twenty games, you put all your efforts into just winning the game, but when you win most of the time, it's only natural to come up with some challenges of your own making, just to prevent boredom.

exactly! After finishing my thesis and having massive amounts of free time (finally! yay!) i started a series of emperor games, random leaders, and try to tackle the difficulty level (i was a consistent monarch winner before). At first i struggled and made sure everything i did was to get closer to a win. Now i have a nice streak of 7 wins, and im starting to make up new challenges during games again heh.

edit: btw big THANKS to this forum for all the advice and stuff. I dont think im sharp enough to tackle emperor without any help, and now its often a smooth ride with a decent start. thx guys & girls!

Without roleplay, this game would be soon like a cold soup without salt after a while. I mean, at the beginning everything is hard, but when you learn the "tricks" proper of the difficulty level you are playing with, you must roleplay a bit, just to increase the fun. I agree with bestbrian: it is like a relationship..at the beginnig we are all missionaries, but after some years...
Of course, I play to win. But I am not obsessed with victory: if I win, fine. If I lose, but I had fun with the game, then fine.

i roleplay soooo much.
whenever im the germans, i just play like a dbag and invade all my neighbors.

and whenever i play as anyone im usually very loyal to a particular civ. like if they gifted me somethin or helped me out, i obsessively help them stay alive despite being hammered by everyone.

and just today i was playin and the japs were to the north. and surprisingly this game they converted to my religion and opened borders fairly early. this is totally unheard of to me. so when the ethiopians declared war on them i immediately, without a second thought, declared war on the ethiopians. of course the ethiopians are millions of miles away and nothin to worry about.

Top Bottom