Main Screen Interface Problem

Duckweed

Deity
I tried to install BUG mode a few days ago and I could not see any main screen button when the game starts. The error message indicated that "BugInit - cannot find XML file for mod init". My OS is Windows Vista.

Help please.

Are you using BUG 3.6? Did you use the EXE installer? Which install method did you use, single- or multi-player? Did you select the /AltRoot method?

What version of BTS do you have? BUG requires 3.13 or 3.17.

I have seen this problem with finding the init.xml file on Vista as Vista seems to place odd Unicode characters into the My Documents path for the current user, even when on an English installation. Are you using a foreign language install of Vista? Does your username contain any non-English letters?

After loading up BUG, can you please post the file My Games / BTS / Logs / PythonDbg.log?

Are you using BUG 3.6?
Yes.

Did you use the EXE installer?
Yes

Which install method did you use, single- or multi-player? Did you select the /AltRoot method?
Single-Player (CustomAssets folder)

What version of BTS do you have? BUG requires 3.13 or 3.17.

I have seen this problem with finding the init.xml file on Vista as Vista seems to place odd Unicode characters into the My Documents path for the current user, even when on an English installation.
Are you using a foreign language install of Vista?
No, it's pre-installed in my DELL laptop in English.

Does your username contain any non-English letters?
No.

After loading up BUG, can you please post the file My Games / BTS / Logs / PythonDbg.log?
I could not find this file. There are three files in the folder.

init
[165204.450] DBG: CIV Init
[165204.450] VERSION: App: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe
[165204.450] VERSION: Build: Mon May 19 09:20:10 2008
[165204.450] VERSION: 3.1.3.1 (104717)
[165204.465] VERSION: Mod Loaded: none
[165204.465] DBG: FILE Cat Init

resmgr
Empty

xml
[165205.682] Loading XML file xml\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml
[165205.714] Load XML file xml\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml SUCCEEDED
[165205.714] SetGlobalClassInfo (Civ4PlayerOptionInfos/PlayerOptionInfos/PlayerOptionInfo)
[165205.729] Loading XML file xml\GameInfo/CIV4GraphicOptionInfos.xml
[165205.729] Load XML file xml\GameInfo/CIV4GraphicOptionInfos.xml SUCCEEDED
[165205.729] SetGlobalClassInfo (Civ4GraphicOptionInfos/GraphicOptionInfos/GraphicOptionInfo)

Thanks a lot for your attention.

After enable the logging. I found the files.

Here's the files.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    4.1 KB · Views: 82
This is such a strange issue. BTS can find your My Docs folder just fine, but when BUG looks, no dice. Here's what ya need to do:

1. Find the file CvAltRoot.py in the "My Games / BTS / BUG Mod" folder which should be "C:\Users\roland\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword/BUG Mod"
  2. Open it in Notepad
  3. Change the last line to read
    Code:
    rootDir = "C:/[B]Users/roland/Documents[/B]/My Games/Beyond the Sword"
  4. Save and close it
  5. Move the file to the "CustomAssets/Python" folder
Please let us know if that works or not.

I did the change and copied it to the "CustomAssets/Python" folder. But it does not work.

I edited the line as rootDir = "C:/Users/roland/Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword" since the one you showed is the UNIX path.

Thanks.

Oops, sorry. I fixed the path above as you showed (Python accepts forward slashes). Can you post PythonDbg.log and PythonErr.log again after trying this? Also, make sure that the file CustomAssets/Config/init.xml exists.

Though you want the single-player install, can you try the multi-player install? You can safely have BUG installed both ways.

Though you want the single-player install, can you try the multi-player install? You can safely have BUG installed both ways.

Do I need uninstall 1st and then reinstall for multi-player?

Yes, the init.xml does exist. And the new log files are here.

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    4.1 KB · Views: 80
It looks like Vista is not allowing BUG to access your Documents folder. Please replace CustomAssets/Python/BUG/BugPath.py with the attached file, try again, and post the logs. it's clearly finding CvAltRoot, but when it tries to check that it is a valid directory, it gets an error. Hopefully this new file will show me what's happening.

No, you can install both versions together. After running the mod version at least once, you may need to tell it to ignore the CustomAssets folder by changing its INI (BUG Mod 3.6.ini) NoCustomAssets setting to 1.

No, you can install both versions together. After running the mod version at least once, you may need to tell it to ignore the CustomAssets folder by changing its INI (BUG Mod 3.6.ini) NoCustomAssets setting to 1.

It's very strange that the program still pop up the window to ask me whether to backup or rename the CustomAssets folder. At the end of installation I found nothing in MODS folder. I guess the installation failed.

It looks like Vista is not allowing BUG to access your Documents folder.

This remind me a strange thing of Vista I saw before. When I tried to change the folder properties to uncheck the "Read-only" box. It did execute the operation. However, it essential did nothing since I found the "Read-only" box is still checked after the operation. Is there any hidden bug of Vista on this? I don't like Vista at all. However, it came with the machine and I just too lazy to reinstall it with Windows XP after a lots of data has been loaded to the machine.

And here are the new logs.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    4.1 KB · Views: 65
It's very strange that the program still pop up the window to ask me whether to backup or rename the CustomAssets folder.

It should only care about the CustomAssets folder during the single-player install. :confused:

At the end of installation I found nothing in MODS folder. I guess the installation failed.

Check the Mods folder where the CivBeyondSword.exe application is located--not the one in My Games.

The latest logs showed that you're not using CvAltRoot.py anymore. Is that correct? Try it with that file present again after setting up the right folder.

Are you familiar with the Windows Registry (regedt32.exe)? If so, look for the following keys. One or the other should exist. If neither, is there one that has a Personal value in it that contains your My Documents path?

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  Software
    Microsoft
      Windows
        CurrentVersion
          Explorer
            [B]Shell Folders[/B]  (XP)
              Personal
            [B]User Shell Folders[/B]  (Vista?)
              Personal

In any case, the CvAltRoot.py file is used so I don't have to depend on the registry, so give that a shot.

Sorry, I think the CvAltRoot.py file got overwrote when I repeated the installation. So after I uninstalled everything and reinstalled following your instruction again, it works alright now.:goodjob:

So there's only one thing left. After I uninstalled the multi-player mode, I got an error message when I load the civ program "Mods\BUG Mod 3.6\ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring". Could you please tell me how to get rid of this message?

By the way, I also checked the windows registry and found the Personal value under Shell Folders is empty and it exists in User Shell Folders.

Thank you very much for your help.

it works alright now.:goodjob:

Yay! :goodjob:

After I uninstalled the multi-player mode, I got an error message when I load the civ program "Mods\BUG Mod 3.6\ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring".

The multiplayer shortcut overwrote the single-player shortcut. Go to the shortcut, right-click it, select Properties, and for Location/Target remove the part at the end:

C:\Programs\...\Civ4BeyondSword.exe /mod="BUG Mod 3.6"

By the way, I also checked the windows registry and found the Personal value under Shell Folders is empty and it exists in User Shell Folders.

Okay, great. I think I can fix that in BugPath.py for others with Vista. I <3 Vista!

The multiplayer shortcut overwrote the single-player shortcut. Go to the shortcut, right-click it, select Properties, and for Location/Target remove the part at the end:

C:\Programs\...\Civ4BeyondSword.exe /mod="BUG Mod 3.6"

Actually I only have one shortcut on desktop and it remains unchanged. Its target shows "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe".

Ah, open CivilizationIV.ini in My Games / BTS and change

Code:
Mod = BUG Mod 3.6

to this

Code:
Mod = [B]0[/B]

This is the setting that tells BTS to load a mod by default, or none when 0.

Same exact problem here. Apparently just changing versions from 3.6 to 4.4 solves little, if actual bugs are not fixed.

Top Bottom