strange problem

DrwHem

Prince
The turn will not end for the other players. I ended my turn at 10:20 pm. i left it going and came back at 10:41 PM and it was still spinning and the music was sill playing. the mines on the map were still puffing and i couldnt move my map around with the arrow keys. wtf is going on...

the latest version with the 3.19 patch. the same turn every time will not continue. ive tried going into the editor and removing civilziations and changing the map around to make the AI do something new but nothing happens. it appears this mod has killed my game.

Did you try to reload an autosave and then one turn before the hang-up give the computer the turn (for one turn) by pressing ctrl-alt-m? That could help.

Did you have the stack attack option on? If so click on the mini map and it may clear the problem. There is a very rare bug in stack attack which causes the attack not to end. Clicking on the mini map jogs the computer into ending the attack. Mostly this problem during the players turn but some times it can happen to the AI. Clicking on the minimap with the waiting cursor works in both cases. If it doesn't clear it then it isn't the stack attack problem

It wasnt stack attack. i dont use that. i just ended up giving each nation in the game 1 ship in my territory so that i could see if it was a specific nation causing the problem. i was going to erase the delinquent nation and i guess the AI knew that and it decided to work...weird engine.

I thought this was fixed in RevDCM 2.5. When merging it to RoM I put their fixes over my own fixes as I thought the result would be the same ie. bug fixed. I guess I'll have to change few python files again and place my own fixes back there and report this bug to RevDCM team...

it happened again. im not sure what to do about it this time. the ship trick didnt work. is there anything else i could do to get the game engine running again other than letting the computer play my turn? if i do that they will move hundreds of troops around where they shouldnt be moved.

Think I've found the solution. I'm not sure, I'm no expert. But I had the same issue: all of a sudden incredibly long "waiting for other civs" turns.
I world builder I found that one AI civ (India) had approximately 40-60 inquisators and was still building more. I'm assuming that, for whatever reason, this was the problem. After I deleted those units and turned off the inquisition option, there were no problems.

That didnt work. I didnt even find any inquisitors. i also tried erasing all the 1 to 3 city civilizations and still nothing...WTF i just want to play my damn game...

well it isnt going away and theres no point putting another 4 days into a new game so i will just take a civ break until this is hotfixed.

Same here - frustrating. I feel the same way.

@zappara
Well, first, thanks for an amazing mod. This isn't easy, I know.

Any hints for what we could do to fix this while we wait? Behavior we can disable, etc? You hinted it was a revolutions option. If you want to look, I have a save game up in the bug reports, page 12, and the relevant logs.

Check to see if a barbarian unit just captured a city.

Check to see if a barbarian unit just captured a city.

Too early in the game to get a good feel for that - there are literally over a hundred cities I haven't encountered. and nothing showed up in the logs at least.

After a bunch of attempting to read off the logs and see what had happened, I ended up just deleted half a continent. Didn't do a thing, so I deleted the other half.

That allowed me to quickly narrow it down to the Indian civilization. Specifically, not a specific city, but units located within their capital city. Those units comprised of:

Code:
1 trireme
1 war galley
4 galleys
4 light swordsmen
1 pikeman
2 horsemen
1 chariot
2 archers

None with much notable experience. I simply deleted the units, recreated the archers and melee units in the city, and recreated the other units outside the city. Things worked well again.

Except that now I know the Indians have had the money to build up a nice little force of swordmen and naval units.... I haven't had the chance to build any of those after crashing my economy on my takeover of the Roman empire. And they're even more expanded than me. Yipe! That's what I get for a civilization with no happiness resources or econ resources available on my continent...

Oh, and it wasn't a combat. No barbarians in range, no wars involved. Just single internal movement decisions.

Too early in the game to get a good feel for that - there are literally over a hundred cities I haven't encountered. and nothing showed up in the logs at least.

After a bunch of attempting to read off the logs and see what had happened, I ended up just deleted half a continent. Didn't do a thing, so I deleted the other half.

That allowed me to quickly narrow it down to the Indian civilization. Specifically, not a specific city, but units located within their capital city. Those units comprised of:

Code:
1 trireme
1 war galley
4 galleys
4 light swordsmen
1 pikeman
2 horsemen
1 chariot
2 archers

None with much notable experience. I simply deleted the units, recreated the archers and melee units in the city, and recreated the other units outside the city. Things worked well again.

Except that now I know the Indians have had the money to build up a nice little force of swordmen and naval units.... I haven't had the chance to build any of those after crashing my economy on my takeover of the Roman empire. And they're even more expanded than me. Yipe! That's what I get for a civilization with no happiness resources or econ resources available on my continent...

Oh, and it wasn't a combat. No barbarians in range, no wars involved. Just single internal movement decisions.

I have seen this happen in the past, but it's very rare. The AI seems to get stuck in an infinite loop with ships. They move them out and back into a city, out and back in, until they have no movement points left. The more ships the AI has, the more calculations they have to run to determine where to move them, even if it's a movement with no purpose. I think there is a conflict in the AI logic sometimes that says 1) I have all these ships and all of these land units, where should I put them? 2) I can load them up and go explore a landmass or go declare war on someone or go support a war or just explore aimlessly 3) I'll put X on Y ships...no wait put X on Y and Z ships or no...just move my Y ships here and there and back again, then load X on Z ships...or...or...4) It gets stuck in an indecisive infinite decision loop.

Thankfully this is rare and only crops up when multiple decisions have the same value in the AI's mind.

I don't know that there's a fix for this :(

I have seen this happen in the past, but it's very rare. The AI seems to get stuck in an infinite loop with ships. They move them out and back into a city, out and back in, until they have no movement points left. The more ships the AI has, the more calculations they have to run to determine where to move them, even if it's a movement with no purpose. I think there is a conflict in the AI logic sometimes that says 1) I have all these ships and all of these land units, where should I put them? 2) I can load them up and go explore a landmass or go declare war on someone or go support a war or just explore aimlessly 3) I'll put X on Y ships...no wait put X on Y and Z ships or no...just move my Y ships here and there and back again, then load X on Z ships...or...or...4) It gets stuck in an indecisive infinite decision loop.

Thankfully this is rare and only crops up when multiple decisions have the same value in the AI's mind.

I don't know that there's a fix for this :(
This sounds like a problem with Better BtS AI as they've modified to Naval AI (included in RoM as Better BtS AI is part of RevDCM DLL). I'll have to read through their patch notes again about how they changed naval AI.

well keep me posted so i can start a new game as soon as theres a solution.

This sounds like a problem with Better BtS AI as they've modified to Naval AI (included in RoM as Better BtS AI is part of RevDCM DLL). I'll have to read through their patch notes again about how they changed naval AI.

Just a thought as I experienced something wierd. Could it be the workboats being able to be captured? I was using a trireme to explore and goto a black field outside K.Khan's cultural border. He had a workboat there but instead of asking if I wanted to go war with him my trireme just stopped moving. I could however move it again after, but every turn after that, whenever I finished moving all my units the end of turn button would still be green. I took a couple of turns manually ending my turn, then saving, went to sleep. This morning i loaded the game, and out of nowhere it asked me twice if I wanted to go to war with K.Khan. Now everything is working ok, but if it happened to an AI it would get stuck as it couldnt manually end its turn.

Just a thought as I experienced something wierd. Could it be the workboats being able to be captured? I was using a trireme to explore and goto a black field outside K.Khan's cultural border. He had a workboat there but instead of asking if I wanted to go war with him my trireme just stopped moving. I could however move it again after, but every turn after that, whenever I finished moving all my units the end of turn button would still be green. I took a couple of turns manually ending my turn, then saving, went to sleep. This morning i loaded the game, and out of nowhere it asked me twice if I wanted to go to war with K.Khan. Now everything is working ok, but if it happened to an AI it would get stuck as it couldnt manually end its turn.

Interesting. I will confirm in my case there were no work boats around to be captured.

Sadly, I just accidentally nuked my saved games directory in totality - 60% in to a gigantic monarch marathon with several strong competitors and I get to start from scratch );

Hey zappara...

It happened again. In 2.71 I got a 'waiting for' issue in the early 1000ADs. After much(!!!!) troubleshooting, I tracked it down to a city on the other continent, near a large fleet of galleys, triremes, and quinqeriemes. It seems the AI couldn't figure out what to do with its troops on board - deleting the stack cleared the error, as did deleting the city.

I note this as the problem causing stack was not in the city.

Top Bottom