The Rise of the Persians!

FuzzyDoom

Chieftain
This is my first attempt at a story, and my second at a Warlord game so go easy on me. (Not too easy. I would still like some advice/criticism.) The game is a large map with roaming barbarians. Everything else is random. I am the Persians with everyone else being random. It's obviously on Warlord. Also, I run a few mods. They include Snoopy's terrain, Pure Civ 3, also the Civ3 Usability Pack. Oh, and I only have Vanilla Civ 3. With that out of the way, on with the story!

4000 BC

Gotta love that starting place. It's coastal, has fresh water and wheat! The only thing that could make it better is if it had luxuries too! So I go ahead and found my Capital city, Fuzzopolis. I send my worker to road the wheat. My science advisor pops up and asks what I should research for. Pottery is the fastest...and i'm a sucker for granaries.

3850 BC

The road to the wheat is built! Now I will start the basic process of irrigate browns, mine green.

3650 BC

My first warrior is ready. I think i'll send him scouting and make another one for defense.

3500 BC

Thanks to my scout (and a culture expansion) I find that there is Jungle north of me. I HATE jungle!

3450 BC

My second warrior finishes and he sits around while my city starts an appropriate defender, a Spearman.

3250 BC

My scout pops a goodie hut and gets me some gold. My spearman finishes and set him to defend while my warrior goes off and scouts in the other directions. I start a settler so I can get another city up.

3050 BC

I find some Incense just south west of my capital and some Wine up north. The Incense should make an excellent place for a future city. My scout pops another goodie hut and I get Ritual Burial from it. Pottery also finishes and I start up Iron Working.

3000 BC

According to this, I am the richest nation! W00T!

2950 BC

Another goodie hut pops and I get more gold. Not like I need it though, I am the richest nation after all... Oh, and my settler finishes and I accidentally wait a turn.

2900 BC

I decide I want a coastal city and send him down below some mountains.

2750 BC

Coastal Mountains founded! (I know it's a stupid name. Shut up. And I also seem to have forgotten to take a screenie. You can see it some other screenies though.) I set it to build a Granary. I also pop a goodie hut and get Barbarians! My one warrior takes them all on and gets promoted to Elite while only losing 1 hitpoint! Go warrior! Fuzzopolis finishes a Spearman and sends him to Coastal.

2430 BC

The first intercity road is completed! Fuzzopolis and Coastal Mountains are now roaded! Yay!

2350 BC

My granary in Fuzzopolis is completed. I start a settler to go get that incense now.

2310 BC

Another hut is popped and I get Warrior Code! Who needs to research when these guys do it for you?

2230 BC

Fuzzopolis goes into disorder. I turn the unhappy person into an entertainer. (Kinda ironic, isn't it?) I also move my Science slider to 80% and still get +1 gpt.

2110 BC

My scout has initiated contact with an American scout! We find that they have this contraption called a “Wheel” and I see if they'll trade for it. They won't take anything for it so I block the only land bridge to my nation (that I've found so far) as punishment.

2070 BC

Fuzzopolis finishes a settler that is sent to get incense. It'll even have fresh water! I start a spearman to go meet him there.

1990 BC

My spearman is finished. I start another settler. And according to this, I'm only the 3rd most powerful nation. I'll show them!

1910 BC

There's a barbarian! Now I have to send my settler back a square until my spearman can catch up.

1870 BC

Civil Disorder in Fuzzopolis again. For some reason, my previous entertainer is gone (WTF?). I decide to just move the pleasure slider up to 10% and it fixes the problem.

1830 BC

My spearman takes out the Barbarian that was harassing my settler, and he loses a hitpoint in the process. Yet another one comes and I am forced to wait again. Iron Working is finished. Funnily, the tile that I'm sitting on with my Spearman/Settler pair has iron on it and it already roaded! I start up wheel to try and see if I've got horses anywhere.

1790 BC

Nevermind. I trade Iron Working and 70 gold to the dirty Americans for the Wheel. I start up Horsebacking next for fast exploration. Or, it would be fast exploration...if I had horses anywhere near me.

1750 BC

Settler finished in Fuzzopolis. I'll wait for the spearman to complete before it goes anywhere. I also find horses...far far to the north. Too far for a city... for now.

1725 BC

The last barb down south is dead with no hitpoints lost. It's finally time to settle that settler! My scout pops a hut and gets to fight 3 barbs with 1 more following him. 4 vs 1 sound fair.

1700 BC

3 of the barbs attack. My warrior takes 1 hitpoint in damage and gets promoted to elite! I have him attack the last one and he loses 2 more hitpoints. I'll have him rest before continuing on.

1675 BC

ANOTHER barb attacks my spearman/settler pair and dies easily. My spearman is done in Fuzzopolis and I send the new pair up north to the grapes. I start a worker to try and help my other one. My first pair founds Incense River (I know I suck at naming. Shut up.) I start it a granary.

1650 BC

My worker is finished. I start up some walls just in case a barabrian (or civ) attacks. My granary in Coastal Mountains finally finished too. About time. I have them start on a worker.

1600 BC

Worker finished in Coastal. Walls started.

1550 BC

Mysticism popped from a hut. I've found no evidence of anyone but the Americans. Maybe everyone else is across the landbridge?

1525 BC

River of Wine is founded! I decided I'd rather have it on fresh water than to start on wines. I can always use a colony until it expands into it. I start it on a granary too.

1500 BC

Civil Disorder in Fuzz AGAIN. I suck at keeping people happy. Boundaries expand though. I restore order and finish the walls and start on a settler.

1475 BC

I connected the incense finally! That should stop the people of Fuzzopolis from rioting again. I also finish Horsebacking and start on the Alphabet. Let's see if my people can learn the ABC's...

1450 BC

Old Abe coughs up all his money, 80 gold, for Horsebacking. Now that I think about it, 70 of that gold was probably mine.

1425 BC

Walls finished in Coastal. I think I'll start a Barracks.

1325 BC

Spear finishes in Fuzz. Temple started. Waiting for a good spot for my settler.

I think I'm done for now. I'll get back on later. Just to hold you over, here's the a picture of the known world along with the Demographics. I thought about including the graphs but it's just me and the Americans so far.

You got a good starting spot but as you expanded the terrian doesn't help you very much. Not with large deserts to the north and southwest.

It is 1325 BC and you have four cities. That seems a bit low.

Do you have CivAssist II installed? It is a utility, created by some folks here at the forum, that can alert you to cities that are about to riot. It can also help with Ring City Placement, which is a powerful corruption reducer in vanilla. It can do a lot more, too, but those things would benefit you right away.

I use something call MapStat, part of CrpSuite (Civ Replay Suite) also created by forum folks and available in the Utilites section of the Unit Creation portion of the Civ III forum. It does many of the same things that CivAssist II does but it is not as pretty. It also has a smaller memory requirement when running. I use it to be warned when cities are cranky and when trade options change.

In this game, I think you could use three cities right away. One between the capital and River of Wine, one that is due NE of the capital and on that takes adavantage of the small lake to the NE.

Building along rivers is great. It save building an aqueduct. But remember, until you can build Hospitals, sometime in the Industrial Age, your cities cannot grow beyond size 12 and can only work 12 of the 21 possible city tiles.

How do you plan to win? And the flip side, how do you not want to win? Do you have a victory condition you want to avoid? And if you're not sure, Conquest/Domination are pretty easy to do.

Even now that decision is important. If Conquest/Domination is your victory goal, then you need barracks and units so that you can take out America early, like maybe while they are still in the Ancient Age.

Along with that, when do you plan to start your Golden Age? I don't know when the Persian Immortals become available (I've never had the chance to play as Persia) but it seems rather soon. And what government do you want to be in when you have your Golden Age?

Golden Ages are plannable events. They should happen when you want them to.

Naming cities can be a chore, but I like River of Wine and River of Incense. When I build cities that claim a luxury or resource, I try to name to something reasonable/silly. Iron Hill, One Horse Town, Saltpeter Party and Tie-Dye City I've used and for me they work.

When I know I need a lot of city names I will find a list someplace. For you, maybe the counties and county seats of Oklahoma might do. Seventy seven counties and seventy seven county seats is a list of 154 city names. That might be enough.

..go easy on me. (Not too easy. I would still like some advice/criticism.)
I'll try giving some pointers. Warn me if my language gets too rough. :D
So I go ahead and found my Capital city, Fuzzopolis. I send my worker to road the wheat.
Food is so important in the early game that you would normally start to irrigate wheat or cattle first thing. However, I see that you've got 2 wheat + 1 cow in your capital's big X; meaning that you can already get +5 food without irrigating. +5 is great, more is usually waste, so I think you did the best thing here by mining.
I might have stepped to the other side of the river with my settler, because you started on a bonus grassland. That bonus shield is now lost until Fuzzopolis becomes a city.
Coastal Mountains founded! (I know it's a stupid name. Shut up. And I also seem to have forgotten to take a screenie. You can see it some other screenies though.) I set it to build a Granary.
Did you not build a granary in your capital? The best places for granaries are foodrich places. Fuzzopolis is doing +5 food per turn. That means growth every 4 turns (foodbox = 20 spaces, will take 4 turns at +5 food per turn). A granary cuts the foodbox in half, so then you would need only 2 turns to fill the foodbox, 4 turns to make up the pop loss for building a settler. In other words: If Fuzzopolis does 30 shields in 4 turns it can just build settlers non stop, as the granary and the +5 food would continuously replenish the pop loss. You wouldn't get that from Coastal Mountains, so that would be better for military, I guess.
My granary in Fuzzopolis is completed.
Oh, sorry: you did build one there.
Fuzzopolis goes into disorder. I turn the unhappy person into an entertainer.
It's crucial to stick to +5 food per turn. Better turn up the lux slider. Don't be afraid to turn it to 30 - 40% if you have to (although you probably don't need to on Warlord).
My scout has initiated contact with an American scout! We find that they have this contraption called a “Wheel” and I see if they'll trade for it. They won't take anything for it so I block the only land bridge to my nation (that I've found so far) as punishment.
Good tactic! Always block a chokepoint early game if you can. They can't send settlers across, and it'll hurt their tech pace if they can't find others to trade with.
There's a barbarian! Now I have to send my settler back a square until my spearman can catch up.
Try to send a unit in advance of a settler. Build warriors instead of spearmen if you're short of units, because warriors are quicker to build.
I start up wheel.. Nevermind. I trade Iron Working and 70 gold to the dirty Americans for the Wheel.
Yes. as a rule: don't start researching a tech others already know. Research what others haven't got, then try to trade for what they have. Try to research as horizontilly up the tech tree as possible.
I start up some walls just in case a barabrian (or civ) attacks.
You've got a good bonus against barbarians on Warlord, so you don't really need walls. Coastal Mountains will probably also not end up exposed to other civs, as you'll probably expand beyond it.

I second Commandobob: Fuzzopolis and River of Wine are very far apart. I would put a town inbetween, next to that cow.

Good luck with this. Keep us informed!

1300 BC

And...we're back! This turn, I decide to take my settler northeast.

1275 BC

There's disorder in Fuzzopolis again. I don't get enough gpt to use the slider so I make a clown.

1250 BC

I finish my barracks in Coastal Mountains and start some Immortals. I'll probably use them to fight Americans or explore.

1225 BC

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXZ and Y...Y and Z. This Alphabet thing is hard. But I finally learned it! Maybe I can combine the letters to make words...I'll get back to you guys on this. My northern scout takes out a barb camp and nets me some more gold.

1150 BC

Jungle Coast is founded. I start it on a Granary.

1125 BC

Breaking news! A map that popped from a hut shows part of a border to my west! I'm sending my warrior to investigate! My Temple in Fuzzopolis is finished, should help with their happiness problem.

1100 BC

Immortal finished in Coastal Mountains. He's sent to explore. Many more to come.

1025 BC

The other nation calls themselves the Babylonians. They have nothing to trade sadly. I might conquer them first to try and cement my place on this part of land. Down south, my immortal takes out a bothersome barb camp, giving me more gold.

975 BC

I decide not to build the Pyramids in Fuzz and instead start building some more workers. I send the newest immortal to explore the undiscovered lands that the Americans occupy.

925 BC

Since the Wine isn't inside my borders, I use a worker to make a colony and road it. The colony gets a stupid name, even worse than the ones I make. To the west, another border is found. Who could they be?

900 BC

I can write now! Yay! Now I think I'll make some rules that everybody must follow...I think I'll call them laws...and they can be like...a code. I would go for Map Making next, but because of Pure Civ 3, maps can't be traded for a while. I can, and do, establish embassies in Washington, Babylon, and Kyoto. Wait, Kyoto?!?!?!? The Japanese must be the unseen people...who I haven't met yet. Odd. All of their capitals are unimpressive. I have a worker finish in Fuzz and start the Colossus because...well...boredom.

875 BC

I just talked to the Japanese leader. They are just as advanced as me...with more gold? When did I go -3 gpt? I set Science to 70% and pleasure to 0 and get +1 gpt. Fuzz will live for now.

850 BC

The warrior that's been blocking the land bridge is sent off to explore and I park an Immortal down in its place. My next city shall go there.

800 BC

I come to a decision and decided that Japan shall be my next war target because it's closer. I'll take a while to prepare though. River of Wine finishes its Granary and starts on a barracks.

775 BC

Incense River finishes its Granary and starts on a Barracks too. Fuzz, damn them, go into disorder again! I have to move the slider back up to 10% and now I'm -2 gpt.

610 BC

We have some laws now! I can't just order the execution of people now though...damnit. Anyways, we'll start on Philosophy for now. Looking around, Abe has Polytheism and won't trade it. Hammurabi has nothing worth trading. Japan does cough up 120 for Code of Laws though.

590 BC

Jungle Coast is now connected! I think I'll start clearing the jungle around it.

570 BC

A yellow border? WTF? Where is everybody coming from? I'm starting to get crowded...

550 BC

Just what I thought, the yellow border is the Greeks. They've got nothing worth trading though.

530 BC

Expectedly (yes, I expect it now), Fuzz goes into disorder again. I almost stop the Colossus just so I can build a settler or worker to stop the crowding, but 96 shields is too high a price. Clown it is.

450 BC

Philosophy finished. I just remembered that Republic makes it 2 gpt for every unit over the unit limit. The new limit gets 2 unit support per city and metro though. I'll have to get more cities before I revolt. I guess I'll start on Mathematics to get construction for aqueducts to get said cities. Granary finished in Jungle Coast. I'll start a Barracks.

370 BC

Great news, my Colossus is finished! I'll start a settler. I WANT that city on that land bridge.

310 BC

Largest nations...i'm not the list. Japan's 3rd...*gulp*

290 BC

I'm ready for the invasion of Japan! 8 veteran immortals prepared to attack Kagoshima with more on the way. Will defend on a small strip of land to wait for reinforcements afterwards. War is declared. I am able to get the Babylonians in by offering Philosophy. The Greeks come in after I offer Code of Laws and 33 gold. Fuzz also completes the settler and it gets sent to the land bridge.

270 BC

The first casualty of the war! My first Immortal dies after red lining the spearman. Happens again to the second spearman too. The third time's the charm as the 3rd immortal wipes the floor with his opponent. I also get a golden age out of it.

The last Spearman dies and I capture the city. It's not that bad of city so I keep it. I start it on a spearman. My men go onwards to that small strip of land to wait for reinforcement. Not a bad city spot either. Mathmatics finishes so onto Construction!

250 BC

I have some of my cities start on Catapults. Romans, yet to be found, finish the Oracle.

230 BC

Kagoshima goes into unrest so I make the 1 citizen a clown.

Babylon threatens me? My army is bigger and we're allies in a war. I'll call his bluff. And he was all talk like I thought.

210 BC

I have another settler going to settle a nice spot with horses and iron just northwest of River of Wine.

At the warfront, I wait for reinforcements before I attack both Osaka and Nara. Then on to Kyoto!

190 BC

My treasury is about to run dry! 15 gold and -6 gpt! It kills me but I lower Science to 50% and get +5 gpt. Even more bad news, a barb horse comes out of the fog and attacks my worker in River of Wine!

170 BC

My spearman deals with him. Much needed gold comes from a barb camp. I have 5 catapults at the frontlines and they'll be enough. I put Immortals back on production. I'll wait for at least 2 catapults before continuing.

150 BC

Japan wants peace but it's Kyoto or bust for me!

130 BC

Did I say 5 Catapults earlier? I meant 6.

I also found Water Gate on the land bridge. It'll come in useful later. I'll just start it on a granary.

90 BC

I switch Kagoshima to a granary because of its crappy shield production. I might just abandon it after the war. For now, its giving me unit support so I'll keep it.

50 BC

Iron Horse is founded! I'll finally have horses after I hook it up, and another source of iron is always good. Starting a granary.

10 BC

19 immortals and 6 catapults should be enough. I don't want to pay anymore unit support.

10 AD

To celebrate the new milleneum, I send in my 12 immortals, 2 spearmen, and 5 catapults(6th right behind) to attack!

50 AD

Fuzz goes into disorder...again. Max size sure is annoying. 3 workers should help trim the size down. I also start my assault. All 3 catapults fail at Nara, along with the 2 at Nara. I take Osaka's 2 defenders out with no casualties. At Nara, I use my 2 spears as cannon fodder to try and weaken the defense. They each take their respective defender down by 1 hitpoint. An immortal goes red bar taking out the last fresh defender. The other 2 spearmen fall easily. Sadly, Nara is instarazed. I wanted some more support. Oh well, this war will be over soon. Now my armies march on Kyoto! IBT, I lose 3 of my Catapults to an archer who attacked the one red barred immortal guarding them. Not my best defense.

70 AD

The same bowman kills one of my immortals. He had a wife and seven kids....Osaka also goes into disorder. I make the only resident a clown. I also killed the mean archer.

90 AD

Pansies. Just as I was about to take Kyoto. In better news, Construction is also finished. I'll start on Map Making so I can at least get some ships out and exploring. I'll start a coloseum in Fuzz to try and keep them happy.

110 AD

The assault on Kyoto begins! The first spearman goes down easily. The second, and last spearman also falls, giving me an elite.

That was easy, now lets talk peace.

That's what I thought. I think i'll start on Republic now.

Here's my new territory:

My empire:

The known American lands:

Babylonian and Greek Lands:

(I wish there was more zoom so I wouldn't have to take it in pieces!)

The Demographics:

Score:

Power:

Culture:

And that's it for tonight! Check back tomorrow.

(I meant to post that last night but I didn't have time.)

Now to respond to what you guys have been saying!

@Bob: I know I have a low amount of cities. For some reason, I'm expanding REALLY slow this game. I don't know why. And I usually use OCP...alot. I'm probably going to start doing it again. I'm not done building cities guys. Fuzz is about to go full on settler/worker production now that I'm out of war. And about CivAssist II. I would love to use it. I installed it and tried to. The problem is, my comp had trouble running both at the same time. (My comp is THAT bad.)

@Optional: That wasn't too bad. About the Granary: You can be VERY VERY VERY certain that I will build a granary in every town. It's a habit of mine, probably a bad habit, but it helps in the beginning to get more citizens out working the tiles. Besides, what other useful thing can a lvl 1 city build?

Thanks for reading and commenting!

I just downloaded CRpSuite and Screenshot Assistant and am going to try those out. Expect the new update in 30 mins. I'm going to admit, I'm probably going to end this story after this update to start a new game with all these mods. I'm still not completely used to Civ 3 Pure, Warlord, and everything else. I'm probably going to just end this story after this and take a break from the story. I will start a new story up sooner or later, mostly because I love to write. You have not seen the last of me in these Story boards.

(BTW, if anyone want a link to a Fallout 3 Fan Fiction that was very highly regarded on the Bethesda forums...:D)

Edit: Nevermind...can't seem to get on Photobucket to upload the pictures...odd.

I just downloaded CRpSuite and Screenshot Assistant and am going to try those out.
My first Civ III PC was 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM Win 98. I could not run both C3C and CivAssistII, but I could run C3C, MapStat, Notepad and Paint at the same time.

For ingame use I still rely on MapStat, especially the Happiness and Trading tabs. CAII will give more details on the trades that are active, indicating what is involved in the trade. It also tells me how many slaves I have (a nice fact, but hardly critical).

To my mind, MapStat is great for turn-by-turn data, but CAII is excellent for long-term strategy decisions (Wonders and Research).

I'm really enjoying MapStat, but haven't tried the Screenshot Assistant thing. I'll use it next story. BTW, the next time, it'll be on the Huge World Map, with all Random civs. I'm having a blast on it right now. :)

Food for thought: turn some of the clowns into scientists. Then you will hault growth AND get beakers, rather than just hault growth and get an extra content face.

Also I hate OCP and would highly suggest a tighter grouping, since OCP only helps in the very-late game. Persia is incredibly dangerous with a bunch of low-pop, high-shield cities churning out cats and immortals all the way until invention. You can run a wonderful bully economy.

as of now what ive seen IMO you should expand and build some cities and get some workers out there. your land seems a bit underdeveloped. good luck. *subscribes to The Rise of Persians*

Top Bottom