1492: Global Colonization. Mod development

Kabjans, I think, that you must make 2 versions.
First is for earth map,
Second is for parts of the world and random maps.
I will remake my maps for your new mod.
It's not very hard.
And I think, that you must remake city screen.
Because there will be more buildings.
And for some buildings I thik you must have stone.

P.S. My English is bad) What does it means "Artisan's Goods" (по русски)

Couple screens with the new system of resource distribution.

Screen 1. Practically "empty" tile. Here only 1 food + 2 wood + 1 skin are available.

As follows from the screen 1 here a number of operations are possible:

- Chop down a Forest,
- Build a Lodge,
- Build a Spices/Tea/Cacao/Coffee/Sugar/Tobacco Plantations,
- Build a Farm.

The player could decide what type of improvement would be constucted on such "empty" tile.

Screen 2. Tile with Tea bonus.

Here we have the same set of possibilities plus "Build a Natural Dyes Plantation". Of couse, the optimal variant for this bonus-containing tile is "Build a Tea Plantation".

What changes have you made so far?

1492: Global Colonization. Mod development

Some last screens where I marked new units, professions, improvements. All of them are already in the mod and are working correctly.

1. New Units

2. New Professions

3. New Improvements

4. Flood Plain from Civilization IV in desert region in "North Africa" region

ETA = release date.

Muito obrigado para a tradução, Androrc the Orc. Now I understand kaibayashi's question.

Well, I have no strict timetable in my mod development. Most part of new resources are already described and new units required to "harvest/produce" there resources are already in the mod. Now I'm working with "Ivory" and "Ivory Hunter" unit. This unit probably will be the last one that I will add.

"ARTISANS_PRODUCTS" and "SLAVES" are two remaining new resources required to be described. At the moment I have too different ideas how these resources could appear and how they could be used in the game. However in the first version of the mod they probably will be used as rather expensive gifts from natives. This is the simplest solution. More compicated solution is required the source codes re-programming and here some help of civfanatics community will be absolutely necessary.

I plan to finish with new resources and add few new civilizations during November-December. I guess a very preliminary version of "1492: Global Colonization" mod could be published before Christmas. This will be practically "Resource pack". Everybody (who is interesting, of course) could add new resources from this pack to his mods. All source codes will be published as a separate archive, too.

Muito obrigado para a tradução, Androrc the Orc. Now I understand kaibayashi's question.

Well, I have no strict timetable in my mod development. Most part of new resources are already described and new units required to "harvest/produce" there resources are already in the mod. Now I'm working with "Ivory" and "Ivory Hunter" unit. This unit probably will be the last one that I will add.

"ARTISANS_PRODUCTS" and "SLAVES" are two remaining new resources required to be described. At the moment I have too different ideas how these resources could appear and how they could be used in the game. However in the first version of the mod they probably will be used as rather expensive gifts from natives. This is the simplest solution. More compicated solution is required the source codes re-programming and here some help of civfanatics community will be absolutely necessary.

I plan to finish with new resources and add few new civilizations during November-December. I guess a very preliminary version of "1492: Global Colonization" mod could be published before Christmas. This will be practically "Resource pack". Everybody (who is interesting, of course) could add new resources from this pack to his mods. All source codes will be published as a separate archive, too.

Sounds great :)

"Ivory" as a new resource.

New profession/unit: "Ivory Hunter"

Choose a Profession for Ivory Hunter

how did you get so many resources?
I modified SDK, a number of xml and python files.

In SDK I changed only 4 files: CvCityAI.cpp, CvEnums.h, CvPlayerAI.cpp and CyEnumInterface.cpp. Here I added new resources, then I compiled a new CvGameCoreDLL.dll. All this changes including the new dll-file compilation are required maximum 10-15 minutes.

All new resources must be described in xml files: CIV4YieldInfos.xml (!!!!!), CIV4BonusInfos.xml, CIVBuildinInfos, xml, CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml, CIV4UnitInfos.xml, etc., plus a number of corresponding ART and TEXT files. Here I used "fake" icons and descriptions for ART and TEXT files. The icons and text files could be corrected later.

Correct both Gamefonts files.

Here (if I remember correctly) I started a mod with new resources. Icons of new resources on Europe and City screens look terrible, of course.

The correction of python files is required a little bit more time. Here I changed CvMainInterface.py, CvEuropeScreen.py (very much changes), CvDomesticAdvisor.py.

All these changes of SDK, xml and python files could be made during about few hours even without knowledge of programming languages.

Each new resource is required a special distribution system on the map, probably some improvements, a new set of art files, detailed description in text files, and of course a new professions and new units who will harvest/collect each new resource. This is the longest period of work.

More detailed instructions you can find in Aymerick's message here.

Horses as a bonus resource are introduced in the mod "1492: Global Colonization". This resource gives +2 Horses and +2 Food.

"Cowboy" is a new unit/profession who will be responsible for horse breeding outside of the city.

"Pasture" is a new improvement available not only for natives, but also for "Europeans". This is a Cowboy's working place.

How to use a "Cowboy" unit? There are at least 3 variants.

Variant 1. A "Cowboy" can be used directly in the city if "Horses" as a bonus resource are located near the city. This gives additionally +2 Horses, that is +4 Horses in summary.

Variant 2. The player can give some tools for his Cowboy and then send him on bonus tile.

Here Cowboy can build a Pasture that gives additionally from the bonus tile +2 Horses and +2 Food.

Cowboy can return in the city when the Pasture is ready

Let's send our Cowboy on the same bonus tile on city-screen

Now with the Pasture instead +4 we will have +8 Horses per turn.

Variant 3. We can send our Cowboy to construct a Pasture on any Grass or Plain tile.

However, the Pasture improvement cannot be build on both Hills and Peaks.

Are you planning on using AoDII as your base at all?
AoDII is a very good and very interesting mod with his logic and rules. Some of them I like very much, some of them are absolutely unacceptable for me. Therefore I have no plans to use AoDII as a base for "1492: Global Colonization" mod. However, I would be glad if Dale as the author of AoDII or somebody from modders will find something interesting and useful in my mod. All source codes will be open and I publish them.

Resource pack for "1492: Global Colonization" mod will be a first step.

Here couple brand new screens with simplest production lines outside the city.

Top Bottom