Napoleonic Wars

The Guardian

Praetorian
The Napoleonic Wars

Napoleon1.jpg

Prelude to war
The year is 1803, and for almost a year no two European nations have been at war with each other, there still were conflicts going on in other parts of the world: notably, France was desperately trying to control the situation in Saint-Domingue (today Haiti), where Toussaint l'Ouverture was disobeying Napoleon's orders. In 1803, Napoleon sold the Louisiana Territory to the US for 80 million francs (15 million dollars).
Meanwhile, in Europe, Napoleon went ahead and made himself the official President of the new "Italian Republic", which had formerly been the Cisalpine Republic. Northern Italy had previously been a French-controlled puppet. Now, French dominance was stated outright. Napoleon also changed the name of the French-dominated "Helvetic Republic" to the "Confederation of Switzerland", himself ruling as the "mediator" of this "new" state. Furthermore, Napoleon carefully monitored events in the German principalities of Holy Roman Empire, as the rulers of these petty states competed for Napoleon's favor.
On May 1804, Napoleon made himself Emperor of France, and, functionally though not in name, Emperor of the Italian Republic and the Confederation of Switzerland. With the Holy Roman Empire clearly on its way into the French sphere of influence, Holy Roman Emperor Francis II joined in the name-game and proclaimed himself Emperor of Austria soon after Napoleon's coronation. In 1805, Austria allied with Britain. When the Russian Czar, Alexander I, joined this group in April, the Third Coalition was born. (Prussia, under Frederick William III, stayed out of the coalition.
This is the first time I have posted a mod/scenario. This is my attempt to create a Napoleonic Era Mod, that many people seem to be seeking. I used a map created by Cosmos that covers Europe, Russia, the middle east, northern half of Africa, India, the eastern half of North and Central America, and the northern third of south America. I think these are the relevant areas for the time period. Granted there were some actions in the pacific area and there are those who will argue the mod is not complete without those events, I believe what I have here is sufficient to provide an interesting game play.

Here are the civs that I have included:

France
Britain
Spain
Portugal
Kingdom of Naples
Prussia
Austria
Netherlands
Denmark
Bavaria
Saxony
Sweden
Poland
Russia
Persia
Ottoman Empire
Barbary Pirates
Arabs
African Tribes
America
America Indian Tribes

All are playable (for now)
Yes I know, Poland did not exist at that time but I have included them for the sake of game play. If you wish you go to the editor, remove Poland and divide those cities between Russia, Prussia, and Austria.

There are many many units in this mod that were created by graphics modders on this site. I want to give credit to those who created these units.
Sandris
Kinboat
BeBro
Aaglo
Dom Pedro
Wyrmshadow
Steph's Conversions
Orthanc
NavyDawg
Imperator

These are just the unit creators. There are others whose creations I used for buildings, wonders, techs, popups, leaderheads, buildings, interfaces and icons. Too many to mention here and if I have not listed them here I hope they will not be offended and I promise to compile a complete list before final release. This is a beta release.

I need play testers, comments, advises and opinions.

There is a new concept in this game that you may find interesting. I have designed leaders to be used as an army/transport type of unit. Leaders have been give small attack and large defense. They are capable of loading 3 foot units (same as an army). The leaders can 'transport' the troops to the battle area, and then unload them. This would be consistent with an army moving to a combat or battle then regrouping for an attack. Leaders are produced automatically every twelve turns in the capitals and require the Military academy building. They appear every twelve turns in the order and name of the leaders listed in the Leader list under the civilization tab of the editor.

City names and location are not all correct or accurate.
Unit strengths and capabilities have not been fine tuned. I am thinking of tabling the units and assigning these factors but need more research on that.
The civilopedia needs a lot of work.
I want to replace the existing leaderheads (with the exception of Napoleon) for historically accurate civ leaders. Any willing to assist in this endeavor would have my utmost gratitude.
Additional buildings and techs will be added at a later date
No units have been placed on the map with 3 exceptions : Lord Nelson, Wellington and Napoleon. You can start with nothing, or go into the editor, place whatever units you like.
The game starts about May 1, 1802. Each turn is 1 week and there are no time limits assigned.

So have a look and tell me what you think.

Main file: 171MB Version 1.02 Deleted 9/16

Main File for version 1.03 - 184MB deleted sept 27

Main File for version 1.03 -10/25/09 365MB

The Napoleonic Wars From Mediafire (365 MB)

Download the main file.The Napoleonic Wars

Place the main file folder into the conquests scenario folder.
IMPORTANT:Rename the Napoleonic Wars Folder to Napoleonic Wars V1.03
The Biq files are in the Napoleonic Wars folder.
Copy the BIQ files to the conquests scenario folder.
Your ready to play.

There is one other issue that needs to be addressed. The AI has a tendency to raze cities.
Since the scenario does not include settlers, Here is the link to the No-Raze Fix.
You can install this file in the conquests directory to eliminate razing. Back-up your original
Conquests.exe file first. No Raze Patch

This version has 2 BIQ files Napoleonic Wars and Napoleonic Wars 1804

Napoleonic Wars Starts with only a few units on the map.

Napoleonic Wars 1804, starts with Napoleon and the Gande Armie in France, facing the third coalition forces of
Austria, Russia and Britain in the approximate position and size at the beginning of the War in 1804.
Report any bugs you find and we will try to correct them asap

I want to give special thanks to the following for their help in creating this scenario.

Virote Considon
El Justo
Arexander
General 666
NUCFLASH

Without their help, I would never have been able to complete this scenario.
Thanks Guys

The only thing that isn't completed at this time, that I am aware of, is the civilopedia file. I will continue working on that,
but the game itself is complete and playable.

Here is a view of the MiniMap
Map is extremely Large 362X362

There is an error in the BIQ file.
The error is a missing wonder splash for Spanish Academy.
Actually there is no Wonder for this building.
Here is the New BIQ that fixes the error
BIQ Fix Dated 1/3/2010
View attachment Napoleonic Wars v1.03.zip

July 15,2010 Patch
This patch fixes an error in the Napoleonic Wars v1.03 pediaicon txt file. Just copy this file to to the text folder in the main scenario folder and overwrite the existing pediaicon.txt file;
PEDIAICON.TXT Patch

Civilopedia update 8/10/2010

If you experience a problem with the ENGINEERING ACADEMY, go to post # 319 page 16 for the fix instructions.

Updated BIQ 8/12/2010

The First Campaign in a series of Campaigns

Attachments

• Civilopedia.txt
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited by a moderator:
There are no armies in this game. Instead, The Military academy, which each nation can build in their capital city, will automatically produce an Officer/Leader every set number of turns. Leaders are automatically produced and named based on the Leader names listed in the civilizations military leader list.

These officer/leaders have capabilities similar to an army unit. They can load units for transport, unload units, have attack and defense capabilities. Have the radar capability, which simulates the forward scouting capabilities of armies.

Currently there are two officer/leaders that are irreplaceable, that being Napoleon and Wellington. France and Britain start the game with these two units respectively on the board and they can not be replaced. These are superior units and the player should use them wisely. These units can also be upgraded to Emperor Napoleon and Lord Wellington.

There is a third unit that is irreplaceable. That being Admiral Nelson, who is represented by a special Ship of the Line. That unit can also be upgraded to Lord Nelson and is the only naval unit with lethal land bombardment.

I don't believe this has been done before and I am interested in your views and opinions regarding this approach.

fantastic,lots of work,
Only one error so far - BavarianGrenadier ini still 1812 Bavarian Grenadier
leaderheads ok ? showing correctly,
had quick couple turns as finland looks good

fantastic,lots of work,
Only one error so far - BavarianGrenadier ini still 1812 Bavarian Grenadier
leaderheads ok ? showing correctly,
had quick couple turns as finland looks good

Thanks Pictish, I missed that one. Easy fix.

Here's a list of my notes about Finland.

• In 1803 Finland was still under Swedish rule and in 1808 Russia conquered Finland. So it shouldn't be on playable list if you want to be historically accurate. :)
  • The town Segesha (Segezha if written correctly) was founded as a train station in 1915 and became a town in 1943, so it is a bit late for this scenario. You should replace it with Nadvoitsy, which was a town already in 17th century. ;)
  • Joensuu is written with two 'u's.
  • Move Turku 1 tile to the NW.
  • Move Kontiomäki 1 tile to S and rename to Kajaani

I'll get some more tomorrow as I need to go to bed now. Are these changes okay with you?

Here's a list of my notes about Finland.

• In 1803 Finland was still under Swedish rule and in 1808 Russia conquered Finland. So it shouldn't be on playable list if you want to be historically accurate. :)
  • The town Segesha (Segezha if written correctly) was founded as a train station in 1915 and became a town in 1943, so it is a bit late for this scenario. You should replace it with Nadvoitsy, which was a town already in 17th century. ;)
  • Joensuu is written with two 'u's.
  • Move Turku 1 tile to the NW.
  • Move Kontiomäki 1 tile to S and rename to Kajaani

I'll get some more tomorrow as I need to go to bed now. Are these changes okay with you?

Excellent Arexander. Absolutely. This is exactly the kind of info that I need. I will make the city changes that you suggested. So at what point did Finland separate from Sweden? Was the russian conquest of Finland noteworthy enough to keep Finland in the game for that very reason or should they be eliminated from the game?

They should be eliminated; they didn't separate from Sweden, they were simply just annexed by Russia. IIRC.

OK, so who do we give this territory to, Sweden or Russia, and how is that going to affect the balance of play?

This is a good time to discuss one of the problems with this time period that I have been thinking about and that makes this time period so interesting. Napoleon faced 4 different coalitions, there were multiple wars going on and the map of europe was changing all the time. Alliances were formed and broken like a chef making omelets. Example... New Orleans was owned by Spain. One night the Spanish flag came down, the French flag went up the next morning and by that afternoon the American flag was flying over the city. I want the map and civs to be as historically accurate as possible, but I want the human player to be free to explore the "what if " possibilities. I think, that is what the game is all about.

I will research this more and see what is the best way to deal with this, but feel free to post your thoughts here. The help I have the easier it is to decide. Besides, I am not doing this for me alone.

It should be given to Sweden, although perhaps with little military, so if Russia get involved in a war with Sweden, they can pretty easily overrun it.

For your question above, Finland got her independence in 1917, so very far from this date. The control should indeed be given to Sweden as Russia conquered Finland 5 years after the start of this scenario.

What do you say about changing those Finnish city names into Swedish ones as we give control of Finland to Sweden? For example, Helsinki would be called Helsingfors in Swedish and Oulu owuld be Uleåborg. It would, too, be historically accurate but we can keep the city names as what the people living in them (Finns) called them.

EDIT: I just found out that neither Segezha or Nadvoitsy were part of Finland in 19th century. Actually, they never were before Second World War. And that was temporary too. So we should give it back to Russia, where it belongs.

For your question above, Finland got her independence in 1917, so very far from this date. The control should indeed be given to Sweden as Russia conquered Finland 5 years after the start of this scenario.

What do you say about changing those Finnish city names into Swedish ones as we give control of Finland to Sweden? For example, Helsinki would be called Helsingfors in Swedish and Oulu owuld be Uleåborg. It would, too, be historically accurate but we can keep the city names as what the people living in them (Finns) called them.

The first Finnish speaking grammar school didn't open until 1858. No, I think you and arexander are both correct Finland goes to sweden. Gustav III declared war on Russia in 1788. That war lasted until 1792. Niether side gained anything. Russia invaded finland in 1808, february. I would like to go with what the names were in 1803. But barring that I will defer to Swedish names. The question is how do we keep russia out of sweden until 1808, or do we let the chips fall were they may. I am going to reassign the cities to sweden and will play test it when I have time unless someone else want the job. Also I think I will include Norway in place of Finland, any comments or thoughts on this?

Well parts of Norway were owned by Sweden too. I don't know if we should add Norway. But I don't have anything better to offer so go on if you like. I'm just correcting some mistakes here. :)

Yes they were but they left Denmark and joined with Sweden in 1812. I just misread some of the numbers there... :p

Yes they were but they left Denmark and joined with Sweden in 1812. I just misread some of the numbers there... :p

OK here is the deal, Denmark and Norway were involved in a "personal union" from 1536 until 1814. This "union" also included Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroe islands. At one time they were allied with Napoleon and latter were defeated by Napoleon (1812 I think) and he gave Norway to Sweden. So I think Norway, Iceland, and Greenland go to Denmark. Well I guess I can use Finland for Saxony.

Top Bottom