Barbarian Unit Lines

georgestow

Proud to be Awesome
Is it possible to get barbarians to upgrade their units or have unit lines of any sort?

No. They only have three types of barbarians:
  1. Normal Barbarians (Warrior)
  2. Advanced Barbarians (Horseman)
  3. Naval Barbarians (Galley)
You can change the units of each type but that's all...

You can`t upgrade them, but you can change how do they look at each era by modifying your unit name information in PediaIcons.txt like this:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian
Barbarian
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian_ERAS_Middle_Ages
unit name 2 (for example Raider)
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian_ERAS_Industrial_Age
unit name 3 (for example Pirate)
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian_ERAS_Modern_Era
unit name 4 (for example Terrorist)

So they can't increase in power? Damn. Thanks anyway guys. =]

You can`t upgrade them, but you can change how do they look at each era by modifying your unit name information in PediaIcons.txt like this:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian
Barbarian
Why did I never thought about it??

No, unfortunately they can`t. :(
They will be able to do that when I can change my computer :D

Moderator Action: Stop posting two answers in a row. If you want to add something, edit your latest post

The following is no critic on a moderator action, only a general thought on that problem:

In my eyes sometimes it can be very useful for other civers if a poster does "two posts in a row". I´m not aware of any button, that allows to mark an edited post in the general oversight of a forum that it has a new content. So civers that only look on the general oversight of a forum can´t recognize, that something new was added to an existing post. They only see it with the automated remark at the bottom of the edited post, but a lot of them won´t read that remark as they think they have read that post allready. On the other side, if such an edited post would be placed automatically as new post in the forum´s oversight, a lot of simple corrections of misspellings and grammar errors would be marked as new post, so they are only "cosmetics" and have no new content and therefore are uninteresting for most civers.

If such a button exists, please give me a hint. :)

One thing you can do on a premade map (my old west map, for instance) is to assign units to the barbarians, then pre-place them like resources around the map. I've been having great fun placing grizzly bears in mountains and snakes in deserts for my unsuspecting civs to stumble across. I'm also experimenting with placing immobile, invisible mines to simulate rock slides, and similarly using Ruby Sauce's Weather units to simulate "pop-up" weather events in the mountains, although I'm a little unclear yet on what combination of flags would allow the unit to be invisible until it attacks, then visible (only) during the attack.

A question for the well-informed group in this thread: is there a thread or tutorial anywhere that discusses slaves and enslavement at length? I'd like to make bears "enslave" to a tradeable pelt, but I have no idea how to do it, and can't find a useful tutorial.

You can make a unit such as a "trapper" or "mountian man" and give them the enslave ability and set the enslavement to pelt so if that unit fights and wins against a barbarian bear then you can get a pelt. However you would get a pelt from the snakes also.

You can make a unit such as a "trapper" or "mountian man" and give them the enslave ability and set the enslavement to pelt so if that unit fights and wins against a barbarian bear then you can get a pelt. However you would get a pelt from the snakes also.

Ok, then I'll use wolves instead of snakes (although "snakeskin" is also a "pelt"). We're getting closer. What does the "Enslave Results In" box on the editor/rules/units screen do? How does that change from unit to unit?

IIRC, the "Enslave Results In" box is the unit that the attacked and enslaved (in this case the Barbarians) will turn into. For example, if you set the player's Trapper (as BadKharma suggested) to enslave and then select the Pelt in the "Enslave Results In" box, you'll get Pelts from all units that your Trapper enslaves. Of course you can set the Trappers attack and defence value to so low that it can only kill barbarians and this way he will not get any pelts from killing a British Longbowman. :mischief:

Balthasar... The Enslave Results for a Unit dictates what Unit is Gained when they Enslave a Unit.

Cross Posts with you Arexander... Regarding ONLY enslaving from Barbarians, it will happen some time that a Trapper Wins against a Stronger Unit and would gain a Pelt. This is the OLE Spearman killing a Tank situation :)

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Barbarian
Barbarian

Doesn't work, been here, done that - barbarians don't evolve.

Balthasar... The Enslave Results for a Unit dictates what Unit is Gained when they Enslave a Unit.

Cross Posts with you Arexander... Regarding ONLY enslaving from Barbarians, it will happen some time that a Trapper Wins against a Stronger Unit and would gain a Pelt. This is the OLE Spearman killing a Tank situation :)

Actually a man with a muzzle-loading firestick killing a bear a couple of times his size at close range ain't nothin' to sneeze at, either, partner. But I digress...

So - (bear with me here) if I'm to sum up posts 10 through 15, it is: the Captured Unit is set in the General Settings tab of the editor. Any enslaved unit will become this unit if enslaved. But if a unit (such as a Trapper) is set to enslave, and has a different unit (such as a pelt, which is tradeable) set in the "enslave results in" box, every unit the Trapper enslaves will become a pelt.

Now, there may be ways to restrict which units the Trapper will and will not attack. In the mod Native America, Colonel Kraken has a priest that can enslave. He controls the targets by using the "Stealth Attack Targets" box. Here's a screenshot:

NA Priest stats.jpg

BTW, the priest does not have the stealth flag, so I don't know how this works. I hope it does, otherwise you could inadvertently end up with a world of Holy Agent Smiths.

Well this suggests that in addition to the above, I could also give a Sioux Brave the ability to turn captured units into indian workers, and a Cavalry soldier to turn captured units into soldiers, and California militia to turn captured units into zombies, all in the same game. If nothing is chosen in the "enslave results in" box, the game simply defaults to the unit chosen in the "Captured Unit" tab in General Settings. Have I got that right? Then I'll leave you alone, I promise.

So - (bear with me here) if I'm to sum up posts 10 through 15, it is: the Captured Unit is set in the General Settings tab of the editor. Any enslaved unit will become this unit if enslaved. But if a unit (such as a Trapper) is set to enslave, and has a different unit (such as a pelt, which is tradeable) set in the "enslave results in" box, every unit the Trapper enslaves will become a pelt.

Yes Balthasar.

Now, there may be ways to restrict which units the Trapper will and will not attack. In the mod Native America, Colonel Kraken has a priest that can enslave. He controls the targets by using the "Stealth Attack Targets" box. BTW, the priest does not have the stealth flag, so I don't know how this works. I hope it does, otherwise you could inadvertently end up with a world of Holy Agent Smiths.

Stealth Attack is only a limited possibility to select a target out of a stack. It only works, if the stack contains more units that can be "stealth attacked". These targets must not be the same type of unit. So if you only have one unit, that is an allowed target for a stealth attack in an attacked stack, stealth attack doesn´t work.

The unit that has the stealth attack option has the ability to attack all other units, too -so you can´t limit a unit when to attack and when not by the stealth attack flag.

Well this suggests that in addition to the above, I could also give a Sioux Brave the ability to turn captured units into indian workers, and a Cavalry soldier to turn captured units into soldiers, and California militia to turn captured units into zombies, all in the same game.

Yes, that is possible for enslaved units (and that´s exactly what CCM does) -captured units are another chapter.

If nothing is chosen in the "enslave results in" box, the game simply defaults to the unit chosen in the "Captured Unit" tab in General Settings. Have I got that right? Then I'll leave you alone, I promise.

Balthasar, please don´t mix up the capture and the enslave-flags. It can happen, that a unit that has both flags, enslaves a unit and captures another one.

The Enslave Flag under Special Actions Sets that a Unit can enslave another unit and the selected unit under Enslave Results In: Sets what the enslaved Unit becomes. The Captured Unit: in the general Editor Tab, Sets what Unit can be Captured... Two different things.
Example: In EFZI2, a Crawling Brain Enslaves another Crawling Brain, meaning when it wins in battle, it can enslave (Gain) a Crawling Brain. Other Units are set to enslave different units... this is set and Flagged for each unit that you want to be able to enslave a unit in the Editor.
The Captured Unit is set for Supply Parcels, meaning that Units can Capture Supply Parcels.

There is only one Captured Unit but there can be as many enslaved units as one sets, One unit can enslave only what is set for it to enslave but because each unit can be set to enslave a different unit, there can be many different units that are enslaved.

Generally people want to see a unit that is Enslaved to be a Unit that makes sense as coming from the Defeated Unit. That can be difficult due to having many different Units in a game.

Top Bottom