Barbarian Unit Lines

Regarding Captured Units... There are many Units in EFZI2 that can be "Captured" (Rescued) but they are handled without the Captured Unit setting that is ONLY for one unit.

You can pre-place units that have no attack or defense and Flag them (Highlighted) for any other or all other "CIVS" in the editor. They are prevented from being built by an "Unobtainable Resource". This is Preferred over setting them as a King Unit. These Units are set to Not Disband.

Because they are pre-placed, each Unit will belong to the CIV you give them to but because the Unit is flagged for the Other CIVs and the unit has no attack or defense, those other CIVs can gain (Capture) the Unit.

You can then set the Rescued Unit to Upgrade to what ever you want. The Rescued Sam Hammer in EFZI2 Upgrades to Sam Hammer PI who then has an Attack and Defense ... he Gains his Gun :) The Zombies have him when the game starts and they are not able to Upgrade him because they are Not Flagged (Highlighted) in the editor to be able to Upgrade him. The Other CIVs (Factions) are Flagged to be able to Upgrade Sam Hammer when they Gain "Guns, Guns, Guns" tech and Ammo Resource. This Upgraded Unit cannot be built because it is set as a King Unit.

Sam Hammer is set as Invisible and can Run around as a detective as well as Recon to reveal areas of the map. Units that detect Invisible Units, allow him to be seen and he can be captured (Rescued), then Upgraded.

Many Possibilities concerning “Captured” Units and Upgrades.

The Only annoying thing that cannot be changed is the CIV who is given the pre-placed Unit in the game will remain labeled for the “Captured” Unit. So in EFZI2 for example, when you rescue Sam Hammer, he will show as the Zombies Unit when viewing your Units in the Advisor Screen.

Naturally, these “Captured” or “Rescued” units are intentioned to be Upgraded as single Units that are one of a Kind.

I have an idea but you need to sacrifice one or more civ and one culture groups for cities:
Create a Barbarian (or more) civ, take a cities .pcx (AMERWALL for exemple) and substitute the cities with a pink square, so when you go to place a city you will see only the terrain. In the same square put a barbarian camp. It can function as a resource. Set the barbarian civs with no units so the AI cannot build units of any type. Assign to the barbarian civ some buildings tha can spawn units every X turns. You can create specific buildings for fott and horse units. You can set different buildings for differents eras or for differents thecs is you add to the barbarian civ a specific tech tree. So you can have different and more powerful barbarian units.

To go along with what Imperator said, make all the barb city units that are produced have hidden nationality, so they can attack without engaging the barb civ themselves in war. I think Steph mentioned at least one unit must be buildable though, or the game will crash. So you could let them build a basic barb unit. As long as the game is set to respawn players, the barb civ will continue to pop up if wiped out for some time until most all land is taken up.

Tom

Good for scenario with custom maps, will not work with random map.

I tried to make barbarian cities with my editor (the format theoretically allows that, but then it crashes the game).

For the crash with no buildable unit, I think it happens only with playable civs, as it's when you see the window where you select what to build next in a city.

I tried to make barbarian cities with my editor (the format theoretically allows that, but then it crashes the game).

Steph, may be these threads can help you:

Skyer2 made a patch that allowed Barbarians to capture and to hold cities. At that time I was not able to run that patch properly as I hadn´t the proper exe. Now we know, for to use Skyer2 patches, the C3C-exe first must be treated with the no-cd-patch:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=194809

Long ago I made some strange observations with culture-none civs (= Barbarian civs), the special soundfiles, that must be added to the game to avoid crashes, the strange behaviour in creating buildings of culture-none civs and the citygraphics, that are assigned to culture none civs. You can read it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4070441&postcount=41

Top Bottom