Announcing Civilization Network for Facebook!

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Great news! Sid Meier, creator of Civilization and Director of Creative Development at Firaxis, has just joined the forum to announce the Civilization Network project for Facebook:

Hello Civ Fans!

I wanted to let you know we'll soon be looking for beta testers to help us develop a unique new way to play Civilization. Ever since we finished Civilization® Revolution™ last year, I've been looking at ways of expanding the Civ gameplay experience to include solo, competitive and cooperative play to take advantage of the uniqueness of social networks. We're calling this project Civilization® Network™ and the full game will be available next year on Facebook. Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world's most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization. You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World. The game will offer everything you enjoy in Civ in a fully persistent environment - you can play as much as you like, whenever you like, and it'll be free to play.

We'll offer a closed beta of the game soon, so stay tuned for details on how you can sign-up to participate. The full game will launch in 2010. For more information about Civilization Network, including development updates and behind-the-scenes posts from me and the Firaxis team, join our Facebook fanpage here: www.facebook.com/civnetwork.

Thanks and Stay Civilized!

Sid Meier
Director of Creative Development
Firaxis Games

Welcome to CivFanatics forum, Sid! :wavey:

Along with a couple other posters, I think this sadly indicates that Civ4 was probably the last Civ PC game. I cannot understand that to be honest. However, this is worth looking at too.

Yet another Civ game that is not Civ 5, and Facebook: two great fails that fail great together.

:sad:

It may offer some fun for people who are living in Facebook anyway.
Nevertheless, the single player who wants to have an epic Civilization game will not be served by this, as I feel.

Thanks, Sid, for the offer but .... no. :aargh:

Really? Is Sid losing his creativity gene? Stick to what you know, please!

I think that this is a great idea and can't wait to see it start. A lot of people hang out on the social networks and this can help bring Civ to them. The PC game takes a lot of time and energy and is awesome, but there's something to be said for being able to hook your friends in. There is always time for the core game later on. Monopoly Streets turned out to be too simple and buggy and the Twitter games don't have the depth that Civilization brings. Hopefully it's something where you can take over the world block by block or street by street, but I can't wait for a more complicated real life rpg.

I've got nothing against this game in principle, I'll probably try it, but what bugs me is that we have been waiting for Civ5 for so long and instead we get a smaller scale version of Civ. I wish Sid could just put us out of our misery, if they aren't making a PC Civ5 they could just say "thats not what we're concentrating on for the foreseeable future" or something, rather than leaving us to wonder. It has been a very long time since Civ4, I cant for the life of me understand why there is no sign of a sequel, and this at the very least surely its it back by several years.

i dont want to scare away Sid or anything but, Facebook really? im not gonna join facebook to play this game

but i think its cool that he joined our forum

Zero interest whatsoever. It's nto an expansion and it's not Civ 5 and it deals with/requires something, Facebook, that I have ZERO interest in.

Still no Civ5...sad times. I have a Facebook account and I do check it regularly, but my experience with Facebook applications, especially Farmville, is that they are flash-based memory hogs that suck my processor and memory dry while remaining slow and tedious, and that is on a year-old Apple. Any awesome Civilization application on Facebook will experience these same difficulties. In addition, with no solo version, half my interest is gone. If you have to wait in real time (1 year=1 day) or something, that will make the game even less appealing. If paying for anything, especially essential items such as research, certain units and buildings, or diplomatic gains, then I won't waste my time on it. I'd be happy to join the beta group, assuming playing is free, but I don't play CivRevolutions and just want Civ5 to be available so I can try it out. And let's try to not make that too graphically intense so those of us with new computers don't have to buy newer ones.

What he said.:sad:

X3... or more.

I havn't joined any network sited because... I have real friends to talk to face to face.

CIV4 had soooooo much more potential to it. an overhaul to the game and another expansion would be enough for me.

I use Facebook quite a bit, and I'm generally not too fond of applications, but I'm rather hopeful for this. There has yet to be a Civ product that I find completely unengaging (some are better than others, but all are worth a shot). I don't know what this will look like, but consider me an interested party.

I'm in an online F-16 Squadron, the 72nd VFW. Let me tell you, it is a LOT OF WORK to coordinate playing schedules. A mission in Falcon is about an hour, maybe another half-hour for setup and twenty minutes for debrief. The guys in my wing are VERY organized and VERY committed to flying their virtual F-16's. We are broken down into squadrons and have regularly scheduled flights.

But how on earth are you going to get people together for a 2-3 hour CIV session? The logistics of this are going to be tough to figure out. I personally know no other CIV player's who are going to be interested in 'playing civ on someone elses schedule'. And then we'll get into the 'I've been playing CIV 20 hours a week for 10 years and know everything' scenarios.

I just do not see how this is going to work.

Top Bottom