MP question

Carwyn

Prince
I know you intend to "fix" multiplayer in the next version of RevDCM, but was wondering if the serious and unplayable bug can be fixed for this version? Up until now we've been able to enjoy playing ROM with revolutions and barb civs on with a few problems we could handle. With the latest version of RevDCM every time one of us attacks a unit the game goes OOS. It's entirely unplayable and renders ROM 2.8 unplayable for MP play as well.

We're customizing our mod to the point where we will just stop at ROM 2.71 if this bug isn't fixed. We can handle the rev popup with cooperation and otherwise get a few OOS or crashes, but not too bad until the latest RevDCM version came out.

So please fix it back to the previous level of not mp compatible, that was just fine! :)

See what I can do but it won't be for quite a while. I don't understand why version 2.6 is worse than any other version. This question alone may lead to more mp debugging trails and alleyways...
Cheers

Maybe it will be easy to fix, because its pretty glaring. When one player attacks a barbarian the game goes OOS. I don't know if anyone played one to the point where they attacked an AI player or human player because you don't fight many barbs to keep going when it goes OOS all the time! I guess it's ok if the barbarian attacks you. Seems like it ought to be straightforward, but I don't know anything about the coding part. :)

Thanks for your concern anyway. I heard your computer fried, so sorry!

Revolution wasn't built with the idea of MP.

The team has said they'll work on it for the next release, which I await with baited breath so my wife and I can play with revolutions on in MP.

@IceFire
Thanks for the heads up on BUG/BULL in MP. At the moment, RevDCM in MP has not even begun to get looked at. So far I have just concentrated on Revolutions and have released a beta MP for that for the ROM mod. Keep an ear out for what Zappara will be doing over Christmas for MP support in ROM. It may be your best bet while RevolutionMP gets finalised and work begins on RevDCM in MP.
Cheers

Is there something special with RoM in that build? Couldn't we just us it, as a stand alone, to test RevMP? I'm a bit confused here, RoM adds quite a lot of extra bits, especially in python, I don't see how it would be helpful trying to merge it, plus it'll be a lot of work for zappara. If that release isn't RoM specific I think we could find ample users who would be willing to try to break it for us from the varying modpacks that use a RevDCM core, Rise of Mankind, Dune Wars, Legends of Revolutions, Quote Capita, Diversica, all of these mods have user complaints about loss of MP.

I've uploaded a couple of files that do fix a fair bit in Revolutions for multiplayer. Those files are Revolution.py and Revolution.ini. There is no merge to be done. For any mod that has implemented RevDCM 2.5 or greater, just replace the files with the above files. The thing is that there is no mod that I have heard about that works in MP with RevDCM 2.5 despite the Revolution mod, except for ROM 2.71. For some reason ROM 2.71 apparently works in MP. RevDCM itself completely spits the dummy, even version 2.5. However if there is a mod out there that can even load up in MP, then by all means replace the above files and there should be at least some useable Revolution MP play possible. The files I submitted are on the RevolutionDCM forum.
Cheers

I've uploaded a couple of files that do fix a fair bit in Revolutions for multiplayer. Those files are Revolution.py and Revolution.ini. There is no merge to be done. For any mod that has implemented RevDCM 2.5 or greater, just replace the files with the above files. The thing is that there is no mod that I have heard about that works in MP with RevDCM 2.5 despite the Revolution mod, except for ROM 2.71. For some reason ROM 2.71 apparently works in MP. RevDCM itself completely spits the dummy, even version 2.5. However if there is a mod out there that can even load up in MP, then by all means replace the above files and there should be at least some useable Revolution MP play possible. The files I submitted are on the RevolutionDCM forum.
Cheers

We started MP with ROM 2.5 and it worked ok, if you could put up with the OOS and agree to reject all revolutions popup options. 2.71 has been the best, its really pretty good. We didn't have any more problems getting a game up with ROM 2.5 than we do with 2.71. It didn't get really broken until ROM 2.8. :) I'll talk with my friends and we can try changing those two files and let you know what our experience is. Thanks!

Excellent Carwyn, yes. All you would have to do is get your working ROM mods in multiplayer changed on all your friends computers, and replace Revolution.py and Revolution.ini (or it's equivalent name in ROM).
Fingers crossed that it works as an interim test before the new year. Just keep in mind that if any of your friends select local revolutions options that change the local player (hand over control, lead the rebels etc) or trigger a period of autoplay, the game will OOS. Also the game may well OOS if any player dies. Basically it boils down to three Revolutions functions that probably work in MP:

1) Reject rebels requests
2) Accept rebel requests
3) Bribing local cities
4) No more local popups appearing on all computers

Cheers

Excellent Carwyn, yes. All you would have to do is get your working ROM mods in multiplayer changed on all your friends computers, and replace Revolution.py and Revolution.ini (or it's equivalent name in ROM).
Fingers crossed that it works as an interim test before the new year. Just keep in mind that if any of your friends select local revolutions options that change the local player (hand over control, lead the rebels etc) or trigger a period of autoplay, the game will OOS. Also the game may well OOS if any player dies. Basically it boils down to three Revolutions functions that probably work in MP:

1) Reject rebels requests
2) Accept rebel requests
3) Bribing local cities
4) No more local popups appearing on all computers

Cheers

We wouldn't normally do those other things anyway. If someone dies, the game is over generally and we start again. No fun to play without your friends, though we do take each other out at times (all good fun!). It would be great to lose the multiplayer popups, otherwise we're pretty happy with it. Being able to accept/reject requests and bribe cities freely would be great.

Ok, glider, here is our experience tonight. We put in the two files with our version of ROM 2.71 (which has been very stable MP, except dealing with the popups under revolutions). We had a lot of trouble with OOS, though the revolution.ini file was modified with a few settings to turn it up quite a lot. Also we got the laggy city screen, which none of us has had a problem with before. We reverted back again for now.

Also a couple of our players tried the mod with your replacement files and had problems too.

Admitedly we are playing with ROM 2.71 with some of Afforess' modmods and our own changes, but its been a stable build and the replacement files broke it. :(

The revolution.py glider posted before xmas had couple issues in RoM 2.71 but I've provided fixed version here. The issues were with Rev Traits that are included in RevDCM 2.6 but those weren't in RevDCM 2.5 which RoM 2.71 uses so I reverted those back to RevDCM 2.5 settings.

Thanks Zappara. Try not to waste to much of your precious time on it. RevolutionMP is literally a test version. Carwyn says it doesn't work in ROM. In a clean test environment it seems good but I'll do more work in the new year if there is any slight glimmer of hope. Thinking about other issues, there would be a problem with bribing from the city screen. I think the focus might not go back to the city screen and it may cause problems because of three lines of missing code I could return. Think of it as a test of basically three functions, reject-accept-bribe.
Cheers

I'll talk with my friends about trying Zappara's updated files. I've sent them messages, haven't heard back yet. My friend modded the original 2.71 files and caused a few problems (I think!) so maybe we'll mess around some more. He's learning, now if he kept notes, we might have some idea what he did! lol All I know is that it gets harder every iteration and its a challenge to keep up. If he keeps modding, we'll play a lot less as we lose another good player to mod madness!

Well, somehow we have pretty much messed up our mods and nothing works. :) I have no idea if it's the files we tried or other changes my friends have also tried. I'll let you know when we have things sorted out again. You know its bad when your game LOADS OOS - this is not from the two files, btw, we put the original back in and its still broken.

This was posted to RoM multiplayer forum about the RevolutionMP beta:
damn I thought I'd answer that long time ago.
It did work, no big amount of OOS, in rev. But we give up rev anyway, the AI just keep splitting and never get realy strong, so back to no rev mod.
Why AI just kept splitting is probably caused RevolutionMP beta's revolution.ini - RoM uses different settings in it to adjust the revolutionaries to be better suited for RoM settings. So you shouldn't be worried about it.

I recently grabbed BUG's SVN version and it also has some OOS fixes (random number generation etc.).

Top Bottom